Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

I really havnt seen alot of Petterd, Does he have the ability to play midfield and is he any good at it or is he just a medium foward that can mark and kick goals ?

Also whats his defensive game like , is he hungry defensively or just laconic fwd ?

turk-d-tiger said:
I really havnt seen alot of Petterd, Does he have the ability to play midfield and is he any good at it or is he just a medium foward that can mark and kick goals ?

Also whats his defensive game like , is he hungry defensively or just laconic fwd ?

His midfield contributions declined once he sustained the serious lung injury which almost killed him, understandably his aerobic capacity was effected by the incident and he seemed to spend more time as a marking forward. Last season, which was one of his better years, saw him pinch hitting in the midfield and it would appear that he does still have it in him to join the rotations. I'm uncertain as to how much run he's got left in him but he has publicly stated that he's never felt better fitness wise. If he contribute in a similar manner to Nahas, then we've got a very useful footballer on our hands.

As for his defensive side, he's a very strong tackler and averaged 5 tackles a game after returning from injury in round 13 of 2011. This impressive defensive pressure was on show against Richmond in round 14 where he amassed a lazy 14 tackles and I believe broke the record for tackles inside 50 (might need LTRTR to confirm that).

Petterd's 2012 was largely disappointing given he struggled with an achilles problem and only managed to play 4 matches. But one shouldn't judge Ricky on one injury plagued season, his form has been strong enough to see him attract some serious interest from GC and he definitely has the tools to become one of the competition's best medium forwards.

If he can return to full fitness, I would expect him to be knocking on the door of the best 22 and he could well be a mainstay if he recaptures his 2011 form. Good luck to him and let's just hope that the injury gods are kind to us for once.

bullus_hit said:
let's just hope that the injury gods are kind to us for once.

Amen to that. Grimey, Axel, TV and Petts, may the injury god rain down benevolence. I'm going to pour a stubbie as an offering right now.

I cant claim that Ive seen a lot of Petterd but if he's the 184cm high flying forward why did we pick both he and A. Edwards?

bullus_hit said:
His midfield contributions declined once he sustained the serious lung injury which almost killed him, understandably his aerobic capacity was effected by the incident and he seemed to spend more time as a marking forward. Last season, which was one of his better years, saw him pinch hitting in the midfield and it would appear that he does still have it in him to join the rotations. I'm uncertain as to how much run he's got left in him but he has publicly stated that he's never felt better fitness wise. If he contribute in a similar manner to Nahas, then we've got a very useful footballer on our hands.

As for his defensive side, he's a very strong tackler and averaged 5 tackles a game after returning from injury in round 13 of 2011. This impressive defensive pressure was on show against Richmond in round 14 where he amassed a lazy 14 tackles and I believe broke the record for tackles inside 50 (might need LTRTR to confirm that).

Petterd's 2012 was largely disappointing given he struggled with an achilles problem and only managed to play 4 matches. But one shouldn't judge Ricky on one injury plagued season, his form has been strong enough to see him attract some serious interest from GC and he definitely has the tools to become one of the competition's best medium forwards.

If he can return to full fitness, I would expect him to be knocking on the door of the best 22 and he could well be a mainstay if he recaptures his 2011 form. Good luck to him and let's just hope that the injury gods are kind to us for once.
Geez it's good to read a well articulated sensible response, so much bull *smile* been spoke round hear latley.....

turk-d-tiger said:

You make that sound like a bad thing.

bullus_hit said:

On the other hand his 15 tackle game was a one off and he never showed that fwd tackling pressure again. In fact from memory he didn’t register a single tackle the following week. Hes lazy once the ball leave his area, doesn’t work hard enough on or off the ground. His kicking action is suspect and he regularly does little dinky kicks that are not to advantage and sets his teammates up to be spoiled. While hes not a very reliable set shot at goal hes not the worst. Hes been tried through the midfeild without showing anything substantial. After 4 year in the AFL his body hasn’t really changed and hes still on the slight side of things.

Meanwhile he struggled with injury while at melb, is reasonably good one on one fwd, has a little x factor as seen with his MOY contender, can play both ends, and had a few big possession games this year while playing mid field for Casey. With a good run with injury and a lift in workrate he could become a best 22.

theox said:
On the other hand his 15 tackle game was a one off and he never showed that fwd tackling pressure again. In fact from memory he didn’t register a single tackle the following week. Hes lazy once the ball leave his area, doesn’t work hard enough on or off the ground. His kicking action is suspect and he regularly does little dinky kicks that are not to advantage and sets his teammates up to be spoiled.

He was just following team rules, Ox.

theox said:
On the other hand his 15 tackle game was a one off and he never showed that fwd tackling pressure again.

He had 45 tackles in 9 games from round 13 until the end of the season at an average of 5 a game. What were you expecting, 14 tackles every week?

bullus_hit said:
He had 45 tackles in 9 games from round 13 until the end of the season at an average of 5 a game. What were you expecting, 14 tackles every week?

Bloody flash in the pan, Bullus. ;D