Ricky Petterd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ricky Petterd

UKTiger said:
Has undoubted bravery in a contest and gives his all but time is passing him by. Would make a good sub for the rest of the season then goodbye with our thanks
I wouldn't have put him on the list in the first place, but now I think he's got another year on his contract. Absolute champagne team management!

yep. top, tough game on satdy. could play a very useful cameo in our finals campaign next year.

He played a cracking three quarters against Sydney before running out of legs. Then he was largely ineffective when he took off the vest against St Kilda.

And was our most diligent and intelligent defensive runner last week, often sprinting 50+ metres to hustle. One of the few who is improving.

Useful to remember that he only cost a rookie pick. I reckon he's been a pretty good pick up. For mine, if his form continues, he will have been one of the better BH selections.

Continually found out against good opposition. Thus the fringe footballer he is.

Don't get sucked in by performances against lowly opponents ILO.

Leysy Days said:
Continually found out against good opposition. Thus the fringe footballer he is.

Enough to drive fans insane. Plays his arse off one game n ya nearly think ya might like him n then he turns all pear shaped n puts in a stinker that has ya looking for the shot gun. Just goes to prove the old adage of buy cheap n nasty then don't be surprised if it doesn't work very well. Threw the bloke a rookie lifeline, didn't cost much, sometimes works well n sometimes gives ya the heebie jeebies.

Leysy Days said:

Agreed.

Drives me crazy when he occupies a plum role in the midfield at centre bounces........surely it is time and opportunity far better invested in a developing youngster (ala Vlas).

Tigers of Old said:
Honest footballer ho's showing he's got a few strings to his bow.

Agree fully!

Petterd is a very handy medium utility, capable of playing in quite a few positions around the ground.
A look at his stats sheet indicates that he plays well against both good and bad opposition, and has ordinary games against both too.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/R/Ricky_Petterd.html
Not a star, but a good ordinary footballer.

Reckon he'd be an excellent substitute player, except that we constantly need him in the 18 to fill our current positional holes.

Leysy Days said:

Yep. It happens again and again. Depth player at best.

I agree he's a depth player, but I actually don't mind him. I'd take him as our 21st best player each week due to his versatility. The problem is he's being asked to do a lot more than a guy of his talents should be, a common theme in the Hardwick era.

St Kevin said:
I agree he's a depth player, but I actually don't mind him. I'd take him as our 21st best player each week due to his versatility. The problem is he's being asked to do a lot more than a guy of his talents should be, a common theme in the Hardwick era.
Yes, Hardwick seems to misplace his faith in certain players.

Leysy Days said:

Sadly people always do.

St Kevin said:
Fair comment.
Every team has to have a 21st best player - and it's not his fault if he's ours.
Of course we'd love a much better player to our 21st best.
In the meantime lets just continue to try out other blokes. When they're proven to be better that's great.

Another player that undoes Dimma's original mantra of only playing guys that are quality users of the football.
I don't mind Pettard and highly respect the fact he will always put his body on the line and play for the jumper. But genuine Top 4 sides have blokes with hardness and pure skill.
Classic Richmond 100 gamer written all over him. Not good enough to be part of a flag side but better and more competitive than an untried kid.
Reckon he would have just about made the invite list for Mr & Mrs Dimma's Monday night roasts.

Petterd is certainly not the best utility player around but he is a trier, has a bit of a footballing brain and not scared of a contest unlike some of our so-called stars. When someone from the 2nds can obviously match his match day game in terms of commitment and work rate then he will make way but until then I would rather have a battler like Petterd than a number of no-hopers Dimma picks on a regular basis

The article on the website is quite misleading.

I heard the original interview. In response to being asked where he liked to play, he refused to answer. He responded 'Dimmer has made it very clear I won't play there'.

They he went on to say he was being played all over the place.

Same as what we have come to expect.