Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread

At the end of the day we lacked effective leadership when it mattered most. The coach, runners and the captain should have taken control and steered the ship home. Guy's were ball watching and that is a crime when you get paid 200k plus a year.

Stox said:
Martin is the one I am angriest with. He is the sort of player who would have possibly made a difference under pressure at the end. The other suspensions didn't hurt us IMO other than exposé our lack of depth. The injuries to key players like big Maric, Ty, Griff, Foley and Grimes is what *smile*ed us. In the absence of any real onfield leadership the coaches surely could have done more at the end too.

But Martin is the one I would be lambasting over this.

Why would you be angry at Martin. He didn't suspend himself.

Jimmy_12 said:
...maybe player Tom DerickX drops a mark with about 44 seconds remaining that my 93-year-old grandmother literally would've taken regardless of the conditions.

DerickX is almost single-handedly being blamed for the loss as a result of the dropped chest mark, and while totally indefensible, people forget that Maric had just dropped a mark which was just as much a soda about 20 seconds earlier (from a 15 metre kick from Moore).

I was a bit disappointed we lost yesterday after winning a game we should have won against Melbourne last week.
But the sun came up today and I have more perspective. I haven't had the heart to read all your posts that would be worse than watching a replay of yesterday.
Where are we at.
Experience very thin, just Newman and a few others, and not many A graders there.
Talent really starts at Deledio, Riewold, Cotchin, Vickery and then improves after Martin.
Our youngsters look quite ok, good considering the compromised draft.
The retreads are all ok but all have issues and that is why they were available.
We are very thin on outright match winning stars, someone who can just get a win when we don't deserve it.
Summary: the list is workmanlike, generally tries extremely hard, and outperforms their underlying talent, and have a decent ambitious game plan. Need more talent, a superstar or five and simply more experience and time playing together. Possibly only 8 or so will be in the next Tiger final four team. The loss yesterday makes it unlikely we will make 8th spot and get knocked out in the first week of finals, and apart from a bit of experience and some small sign of recognition we haven't lost anything.
We are always "only as good as our next game" so let's see what next week presents, certainly we should be picking the young players who need more experience and opportunity. Leave out Miller etc and try whatever kids can cope.

Pandaboy said:
DerickX is almost single-handedly being blamed for the loss as a result of the dropped chest mark, and while totally indefensible, people forget that Maric had just dropped a mark which was just as much a soda about 20 seconds earlier (from a 15 metre kick from Moore).

hold on just hold on, yep maric missed the over head mark seems u forgot that within secs of dropping that mark he laid the tackle in the center and won the ball bak kudos to him for making amends and it was maric who kicked to tuck.....derrickx that mark was a soda never ever should a 10/15 meter loolipop kick be dropped by chest, he marks it we win, period!!!

AstuteTiger said:
Ur so off the mark its not funny watch the vid on the AFL site last few mins or if u have Foxtel IQ, Lids didnt need to put his body on the line as he was the first to get to it but he overran the ball, rischetelli was coming his way lids had space, unfortunately lids over ran it as he wanted to get clean possession and send us fwd nothing to do with risking life and limb he simply over ran it...

Houli i dont blame him he was trying to cover the whole area have a look at the footage so open, so much space, that backline should have been flooded by every player, Dimma should as the coach instructed the runner to get everyone back its not like we were behind on the score board...newy was off, terrible and i mean terrible last 25 secs....even at the center bounce we didnt go man on man to keep the ball in to force another ball up....

Tucks kick as much as it was good perhaps shouldve kicked long to the boundary line instead of taking that risk going bak to the center area but the dropped mark from Derrickx was U15 stuff unacceptable and in the end it was the game cruncher no to ways about it cause if he marks it, we WIN!!!

PS: U luv the game of newy ??? he's game was poor apart from that great spoil in the last....

Have to disagree

Why did he overrun the ball ? Because he took his eyes off it (and took a short step) Contrast that to Newman where he was prepared to sacrifice his body to save the game. This alone was enough for me to love his game.

In the Blood said:
Everything else aside, that last minute was an absolute disgrace. Dimma hinted in the press conference that they didn't set up correctly at the final bounce (for whatever reason) and that they will learn from this. I'm sorry but that just doesn't cut it for me. You cannot call yourself an AFL coach, couching group (runners included) if you need to learn that when there is 30 seconds to go and you are up by 4 points, you put your best mids in the middle, flood their forward line, man up and kill the contest in the middle.

This did not happen. "Why" is the question. Somebody has stuffed up here and I don't accept that this should be considered a learning experience. If the players don't know this, they have poor footy brains and the coaches should all be sacked for not teaching this. Was it the runner, the coach , the coaching group, the players or are they all just inept. Absolute amateur hour. B grade ammos would have not lost to the Suns in that last 30 seconds. Dimma needs to either fess up that he the players have not been coached for this circumstance or that the runner lost his voice or that he was asleep at the wheel.

This is the thing that has me worried going forward. Stuff like this should be automatic for an AFL footballer. When I saw the centre bounce set-up after the Harbrow goal I knew we were in trouble. How you do not go man-on-man in that situation is stupidity of the highest order.

They should spend less time working on this crap possesion gameplan and actually learn some fundamentals first and foremost.

Pandaboy said:

Yes true, but from memory it was an overhead mark (although a simple one) which is slightly more excusable, but he then made up for it by applying a good tackle that was rewarded for holding the ball against maybe Brennan from what i can remember. That Derrickx dropped mark haunts me. Mark a simple 10 m kick to his chest & we win regardless of all the other errors.

AstuteTiger said:
PS: U luv the game of newy ??? he's game was poor apart from that great spoil in the last....

I thought Newy had a good game in the second half. He was a catalyst for us getting back into the game in the third qtr.

Streak said:
I thought Newy had a good game in the second half. He was a catalyst for us getting back into the game in the third qtr.

Had 12 touches in 3 and a bit quarters, did a nice pass to Jack and also a very good spoil but that was it. Kel Moore had more of an impact.

Yet again I didn't see our game. Don't think I'll read through 80 pages of this one. Just wondering is someone can tell me why Ivan wasn't out there. Was he struck by a serious case of Restingus Goldcoastalitis or does he have an injury? If the latter does anyone know how long he's expected to miss?

IrockZ said:
Had 12 touches in 3 and a bit quarters, did a nice pass to Jack and also a very good spoil but that was it. Kel Moore had more of an impact.

I thought his moe to the forward line was good. Certainly applied some pressure up there that had been lacking.

You know what makes this season even harder to take' is that we have an average losing margin of 17.1 pts. The BEST in the league.

In 8 losses we have lost by a grand total of 137pts.

Take out R1 and the ALM drops to 13.3 pts.

We have lost all 2nd qtrs in our 8 losses and in 4 of those losses we have lost the 2nd qtr by more than the final losing margin.

Tommo37 said:
You know what makes this season even harder to take' is that we have an average losing margin of 17.1 pts. The BEST in the league.

We have lost all 2nd qtrs in our 8 losses and in 4 of those losses we have lost the 2nd qtr by more than the final losing margin.

Wow, that is amazing

Tommo37 said:

honourable losses.gee a loss is a loss is a loss.

rosy23 said:
Yet again I didn't see our game. Don't think I'll read through 80 pages of this one. Just wondering is someone can tell me why Ivan wasn't out there. Was he struck by a serious case of Restingus Goldcoastalitis or does he have an injury? If the latter does anyone know how long he's expected to miss?
Heard it today on radio (can't remember now if it was Hardwick or Richo) describing it as "a groin" from last week (and Griffiths having "a calf")
And that he should be OK for next week.

Gale isnt to blame.
Depth isnt to blame.

One. The team must learn to play four quarters. Their effort was atrocious for most of the game. Funny that when they put their heads down, they kick seven goals.

Two. Learn to ice a game. Professionalism, composure, structure, call it what you will, i call it 100% effort, 100% of the time.

Our crap team with no depth played one good quarter of football and lost by a kick after the siren 3000kms from home

think about that