Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread

Re: Who is to blame - a summary

jb03 said:
So far, reading all the threads, the blame for the loss has been labelled at:

. Benny Gale for selling the home game
. Craig Cameron for suspending Martin for 2 games
. Martin for getting suspended for 2 games
. Match committee for 'resting' Maric
. Connors for being Connors
. Jackson for getting suspended
. Hardwick for coming to the bench for the last 10 minutes
. Hardwick for not being Malthouse
. Deledio for not going hard enough at Caddy
. Maric for not kicking forward but chipping back to Tuck
. Tuck for chipping it to Derickx
. Derickx for dropping the chest mark
. Rance for not tackling Harbrow
. Rance for letting Matera kick it
. Houli for not standing tight enough to Hunt
. Conca for being Hunt's direct opponent
. Grigg for having an inability to chase and tackle
. Reiwoldt for not correctly milking the clock
. The umpires for awarding the 50 metre penalty against Maric
. Newman for lack of leadership
. The team as a collective for having a complete lack of smarts, composure and character in the final 4 minutes
. Foley for getting injured against the Saints
. Cotchin for only having one set of shoulders

I am sure I have missed a lot of others as well.

The former CFO whose reign ended after we posted heavy losses? The AFL, who recommended him?

roacheee said:
Gale isnt to blame.
Depth isnt to blame.

One. The team must learn to play four quarters. Their effort was atrocious for most of the game. Funny that when they put their heads down, they kick seven goals.

Two. Learn to ice a game. Professionalism, composure, structure, call it what you will, i call it 100% effort, 100% of the time.

Our crap team with no depth played one good quarter of football and lost by a kick after the siren 3000kms from home

think about that

Yep effort and intensity are more important than skill. A skillful footballer who lacks intensity and 100% effort is not worth a pinch of *smile*. Unfortunately our intensity and effort as a group wavers far too much from game to game and even quarter to quarter as we saw yesterday.

Can anyone tell us the ave age and experience of the 2 teams?
not looking for any excuse, just curious.

When i start agreeing with phil, what does it mean?
You are right phil

not the tallest, fastest, most skilled but if we could clone morris five times we wouldve won

Brodders17 said:
Can anyone tell us the ave age and experience of the 2 teams?
not looking for any excuse, just curious.

Richmond - Gold Coast
187.2cm Height 187.5cm
86.4kg Weight 83.5kg
23yr 9mth Age 23yr 0mth
56.8 Games 46.7

I still remain totally gutted by a wasted year again, yet I expected our young team to have highs and lows. Fact is we have won games we probably expected to lose and lost ones we expected to win. This is a young side and expected. Our problem now as highlighted is depth. By my calculations most top teams carry 5-6 average players beyond their 22. They also carry 5-6 developing youngsters and 5-6 could be either way players.
Our problem is beyond our 22 we have some average in our best 22 and not much beyond. We lack depth and its showed since the reports, Connors fiasco and injuries. Bring on end of season free agents and trades, if we do as well in 2011 we should see 2-3 more decent players at least. I think few would argue that Maric, Morris and Ellis have all been good additions. I am also sure some of the crop that are still developing will add another 1-2 players next year.
Consider 2015 our premiership window and next two seasons finals at least, that means we need to recruit players who can build and back up our starting squad. I see we need another ruckman, two midfielders, one kpp defender and one kpp forward.

Am in Port Douglas, still recovering. Walked down to the Pub yesterday to drown my sorrows and what were they playing on the big TV - a replay of the last quarter. Had a relapse and went to the beach. Have followed the Tigers for 68 years and that was my worst loss.

Newman said:
Like a couple of others on here, I was never confident of winning this game for the below reasons.

1. We went into the game with our weakest starting 22 for a long, long time
2. GC went into this game with their strongest starting 22 in a long time (past 2 weeks they got Rischitelli, Harbrow, Stanley, Swallow and a couple of others back, who they haven't had in a long while)
3. Playing in humid conditions in Cairns
4. We have very minimal depth and can't handle having 7-8 of our starting 22 out, nor can most sides.

We were the lay of the year IMO. For the reasons you outline, Newy. Particularly after Big i-Vahn was a late scratching.

I would add the obscurity of the venue. Not just a road game - a game played in outer space.

And that our form since quarter time in the Adelaide game has been terrible. And their form has been improving to good.

That the loss was so spectacularly degrading is not easy to swallow. But it was on the cards. There is no cause for despair here. You don't go from Can't win a game class to Can win in outer space with 2/3 of a team in one year.

Tommo37 said:
You know what makes this season even harder to take' is that we have an average losing margin of 17.1 pts. The BEST in the league.

In 8 losses we have lost by a grand total of 137pts.

Take out R1 and the ALM drops to 13.3 pts.

We have lost all 2nd qtrs in our 8 losses and in 4 of those losses we have lost the 2nd qtr by more than the final losing margin.

honorable losses

Houli was listed in one of papers as having suffered an injury.

If so, we really were depleted by the end of the game -- Batchelor, Newman and Rance were all struggling.

Big Cat Lover said:
there it is - we're too fat and old
And there's another good pick up! Players struggling to carry around that extra 3kg, of course they were knackered. And 9 months older! Well that's like a whole generation older.

Leysy Days said:
Well done by Webberley there. Setup that goal.

Almost didn't notice he played. Other than being small, slow, weak and one-sided he has all the attributes of a good AFL footballer.

rocketman said:
Am in Port Douglas, still recovering. Walked down to the Pub yesterday to drown my sorrows and what were they playing on the big TV - a replay of the last quarter. Had a relapse and went to the beach. Have followed the Tigers for 68 years and that was my worst loss.
I know we've had bigger losses but that hit like a tidal wave.
Like the 1982 Grand Final loss.

I lost it completely.
Played heavy metal in earphones on 11 for 2 hours straight and headbanged my way out of it.

LOL ,I walked 4 miles home from the train(no cabs around)yelling at the top of my head at myself in deluded confusion.

smasha said:
I lost it completely.
Played heavy metal in earphones on 11 for 2 hours straight and headbanged my way out of it.

LOL ,I walked 4 miles home from the train(no cabs around)yelling at the top of my head at myself in deluded confusion.

Awesome!

Coaches votes:

Richmond vs Gold Coast
9 Cotchin (Rich)
7 McKenzie (GC)
6 Ablett (GC)
6 Deledio (Rich)
1 Bennell (GC)
1 Matera (GC)