Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread

As gutted as I am by this loss (honestly can not recall being more disappointed in a loss) ironically I am also not surprised by it. After we went through the first 10 weeks of the season (playing every finalist from 2011) with a 5-5 win, good form against top teams and some great wins against Sydney, Hawthorn and St.Kilda, everyone was talking about our draw opening up and how we would definitely play finals. Some betting agencies even had us $15 to win the flag after the Saints game!!

Everyone looked at our draw and said we would make it. Alarm bells immediately started going off for me and it didn't take long for them to ring true. I just knew we would drop games against teams we should comfortably beat. It is the Richmond way; it is in our DNA. The next week we lost against Freo as $1.20 favourites. last night we lost the unloseable game against a team that hasn't won for a year. In between we had garbage wins against crap teams in GWS and Melbourne, and gave up a 6 goal lead against Adelaide.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Ridley said:
As gutted as I am by this loss (honestly can not recall being more disappointed in a loss) ironically I am also not surprised by it. After we went through the first 10 weeks of the season (playing every finalist from 2011) with a 5-5 win, good form against top teams and some great wins against Sydney, Hawthorn and St.Kilda, everyone was talking about our draw opening up and how we would definitely play finals. Some betting agencies even had us $15 to win the flag after the Saints game!!

Everyone looked at our draw and said we would make it. Alarm bells immediately started going off for me and it didn't take long for them to ring true. I just knew we would drop games against teams we should comfortably beat. It is the Richmond way; it is in our DNA. The next week we lost against Freo as $1.20 favourites. last night we lost the unloseable game against a team that hasn't won for a year. In between we had garbage wins against crap teams in GWS and Melbourne, and gave up a 6 goal lead against Adelaide.

well said and true, our team read their own press way too much i think, as soon as they start talking themselves up, they come back down to earth.

Re: Missing Tigers

Ridley said:
Agree with this. Looks good out in space with the ball in hand but when the going gets tough he goes missing. Shocking in one on one contests as well.
Both Griggs and houli like the outside uncontested ball Giuliani has been poor for weeks now and his game is worthy of being dropped. If Dimma and Cameron are serious about building culture then this should happen. Finally we're is the onfield leadership which allows two goals to be kicked in 45 seconds I could accept if it was Collingwood but the suns what a complete disgrace . A new low in my forty eight years of supporting them

The fact that we have zero depth means we are fielding a pretty average outfit atm.

When you get to that level of talent on the field it only takes a 5% drop in intensity off for things to fall away badly.

Playing at a remote ground with little atmosphere in humid conditions that 5% was always a big chance of happening yesterday because we havent displayed the mental fortitude to turn up ready to play in all conditions.

Honestly you can read the club like a book yet most supporters still thought yesterday would be an easy walk in the park.

We will get some key players back this week, will cop heat from the coach/media all week, come out fierce & roll North at a ground we like & they dont.

Yes it is an endictment (sp?) on the mental state of the players/club but there is nothing sure than that happening. Just like yesterdays occurence.

Leysy Days said:
The fact that we have zero depth means we are fielding a pretty average outfit atm.

When you get to that level of talent on the field it only takes a 5% drop in intensity off for things to fall away badly.

Playing at a remote ground with little atmosphere in humid conditions that 5% was always a big chance of happening yesterday because we havent displayed the mental fortitude to turn up ready to play in all conditions.

Honestly you can read the club like a book yet most supporters still thought yesterday would be an easy walk in the park.

We will get some key players back this week, will cop heat from the coach/media all week, come out fierce & roll North at a ground we like & they dont.

Yes it is an endictment (sp?) on the mental state of the players/club but there is nothing sure than that happening.

I take your points leysy. Do you honestly think well roll north? I have a strong feeling we will, and they havent played on the G once this year, but still i have doubt in my mind.

Ridley said:

Sad but probably true

Ridley said:

Yep, despite daring to think that this time will be different, the Fremantle game and every game since has had that horrible dejavu feeling about it. It has happened so many times I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Hard to be a believer when this *smile* gets shoved down my throat at regular intervals.

Leysy Days said:

Yes it is an endictment (sp?) on the mental state of the players/club but there is nothing sure than that happening. Just like yesterdays occurence.

Sorry Leysy, but 'rolling North' sounds more laughable than whoever else laughed at us saying we will 'roll GC'.

We haven't had a convincing win since St Kilda when our forward line was in a better set up along with the midfield.

Unless we make massive changes in attack, we won't win a game against the top 8 contenders (excluding WB, Brisbane & Port)

I'd rather go back to having Miller in attack coz at least he can LEAD compared to McGone who struggles too often.

Tiger68 said:
There were a lot of mistakes made in the last few minutes, Derrickx was most glaring but it was slippery and I can accept that mistake.

Despite Lids great outside game, he cost us in my view. Everyone knew the game was up for grabs in that last 30 seconds and Lids failed to put his body on the line in that last centre bounce. A decent side with true leaders would risked life and limb in that last centre bounce to trap the ball then get numbers around it. Very disappointing from a leader in a crunch moment.

Houli is another that lets you down in crunch moments. He is a major liability inside our defensive 50. The fact that he is our designated kicker really worries me, he panics, makes poor decisions and will not go when it's his turn. (+ Failed to man up in that last 30 seceonds) I would replace him with Helbig in a heartbeat.

Loved the game of Cotch, Newy and the return of Moore. These blokes can hold their head high.

Ur so off the mark its not funny watch the vid on the AFL site last few mins or if u have Foxtel IQ, Lids didnt need to put his body on the line as he was the first to get to it but he overran the ball, rischetelli was coming his way lids had space, unfortunately lids over ran it as he wanted to get clean possession and send us fwd nothing to do with risking life and limb he simply over ran it...

Houli i dont blame him he was trying to cover the whole area have a look at the footage so open, so much space, that backline should have been flooded by every player, Dimma should as the coach instructed the runner to get everyone back its not like we were behind on the score board...newy was off, terrible and i mean terrible last 25 secs....even at the center bounce we didnt go man on man to keep the ball in to force another ball up....

Tucks kick as much as it was good perhaps shouldve kicked long to the boundary line instead of taking that risk going bak to the center area but the dropped mark from Derrickx was U15 stuff unacceptable and in the end it was the game cruncher no to ways about it cause if he marks it, we WIN!!!

PS: U luv the game of newy ??? he's game was poor apart from that great spoil in the last....

interesting conversation i had with one of the players parents today!!!..where was the leadership group in that 25 seconds..cotch,..jack..delideo..tuck..etc..as much as i love them..were any of them yelling instructions to man up?? to crowd their foward line in those last 25 seconds??..do we really have strong leadership group??

arlobill said:
interesting conversation i had with one of the players parents today!!!..where was the leadership group in that 25 seconds..cotch,..jack..delideo..tuck..etc..as much as i love them..were any of them yelling instructions to man up?? to crowd their foward line in those last 25 seconds??..do we really have strong leadership group??

the last 25 seconds is not what lost us the game 56 inside 50's to there 44 yet they scored more than us been saying this all year we over use the ball and cant score when it counts add to that some players are to cocky thinking we will win for sure please stop blaming benny and co its the players and coaches fault plain and simple

Just saw that dropped mark again from Derrickx it looks more worse today than it did last night watching it an absolute sitter that my little nephew would swallow up....no pressure and he drops it, no excuses sorry not AFL standard....the kick from tuck was perfect....

This is a bad dream....

Leysy Days said:

yeah. I actually thought if we had won, and I thought we had, it was a really gutsy win. Very undermanned and up in the tropics against s side desperate for a maiden win. We didn't quite do it. I've never been more stunned by a loss, and as we know as tigers, thats saying something. Sen called the win for us. 7 all but did. In that final scrample, every single thing that needed to go right for them went right, every 50/50 ump decision, every bounce, everything. It happens sometimes. Reminded me of the Bris win over WC, but even more extreme. I don't want to single out any 1 factor, but who was on Hunt?

Its bloody tough to take, my 8yo nephew, who is a tough little fella (goalkicking midfielder), cried for the first time after a tigers loss. Welcome to the real world young fella.

Tigion said:
the last 25 seconds is not what lost us the game 56 inside 50's to there 44 yet they scored more than us been saying this all year we over use the ball and cant score when it counts add to that some players are to cocky thinking we will win for sure please stop blaming benny and co its the players and coaches fault plain and simple

True. Should have had percentage boosters over GWS and Melb based on possession and inside 50s but just got home. Definately a big flaw, and its now even more pronounced.

tigersnake said:
In that final scramble, every single thing that needed to go right for them went right, every 50/50 ump decision, every bounce, everything. It happens sometimes. Reminded me of the Bris win over WC, but even more extreme. I don't want to single out any 1 factor, but who was on Hunt?

I never use this over-stated analogy, but this definitely WAS a 'train wreck' about to happen.

Tigion said:
...we over use the ball and cant score when it counts add to that some players are to cocky thinking we will win for sure......

Yep.

Like some others have said our depth is deplorable. Take out Martin, Jackson, Vickery, Maric, Griffiths, King, Grimes & Foley who are all in our starting 18 and we would struggle to beat Port Melbourne. Yes other teams have injuries as well but not many have a third of their team out.

And to reinforce the point these players have been replaced by those on our 'delist list'. Not a good sign.

Question is if we lose to North do we pack it up for the year, send the injured for early operations and make use of this draft? If I was in charge I know what the answer would be.