Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread

lamb22 said:
Not a clanger Brodders but not a good place to have a turnover. Long and wide and we win.

I think Grigg had a bit of space on the wing and that's where it should have gone.

if there were other clear options, then he prob made the wrong kick, but from where i was sitting i couldnt see if there were or werent.
but it was an easy kick and an easy mark. unfortunately the easy mark was dropped.

lamb22 said:
Yep unbelievable 45 seconds So many errors/misjudgements

1. Tucky kicks short to the middle rather than long and wide.
2. Derrickx drops mark
3. Derrickx stumbles ball away from his control.
4. Tucky misses tackle
5. Rance misses Tackle (Harbrow only kicks on his left but Alex took the candy)
6. Midfield set up wrong
7. Grigg cant clear
8. Deledio fumbles and runs over ball.
9. Rance goes to ground when leading for the ball and air swings the ball.
10. Houli sags off his man - easy mark to Hunt.

We rectify any one of those mistakes and we most likely win

Amazing. Just 45 seconds for all of those *smile* ups.

KnightersRevenge said:
Going a bit easy on Jack. His refusal to lead when one out on the wing with a paddock behind him(he thought he was icing the clock) forcing an unnecessary switch that resulted in a turnover and goal.

mate we had the ball with 43 secs to go 10 pts up either tucky goes up the ground near the boundary line or derickx marks it, for me Derickx had to mark that soda just embarrassing, he marks it we win...

Another year and another season gone. The players are clearly to blame. We are not even in the top 17 clubs of the competition now and are a laughing stock. All the first half year effort wasted in a gutless display. Very clear we dont have depth and few guys will find delisting quickly. Was disappointed a number of players did not put up their hand to win.

The Players Owe The Supporters An Apology

Its time and long overdue. Not just the apology but a thick line in the sand. We never will go back again to the crap we have seen in Cairns. You should all hang your heads in shame, we pay good money that most of us cannot afford to support this club. We watch in hope of a finals run this year even if we don't go past week one. We are the WORST performing team in the last 10 years regarding finals except the two newcomers. What happened to the do or die spirit we had in the first 10 rounds, at least then if we lost we gave 110% - today that was not showing.
Time to speak on the field and show no matter your level of skill or ability that you will fight minute after minute to win us every game to season end. From this year forward no more rubbish as we saw today

Re: The Players Owe The Supporters An Apology

If they were playing for the supporters they'd never achieve anything. They have to look themselves in the mirror in the morning and accept that the past eight months of work will probably not result in a significant achievement.

A Good Year

Half way through the second quarter when we were getting absolutely towelled, I turned it off. This is a big thing for me. Having lived OS for 21 years, it's only the last 2-3 years I've been able to watch the footy live (internet streaming). So for me to start voluntarily not watching is a bad sign (I also did it last week when Melbourne kicked the first three in the last quarter).

As I flicked through the channels, what I did watch instead of the second half of the second quarter, was a scene from the movie "A Good Year". The scene I saw was Russell Crowe's character as a boy playing tennis against his uncle (Albert Finney). The uncle wins and the boy cracks it big time. The uncle admonishes him and goes on to say that a man should accept his defeats as well as he does his victories, and that we learn nothing from winning. We learn much more from losing, and one of the most impotant things we learn is how much more enjoyable it is to win.

I should have known then and there that watching this scene was an omen. But I turned back to the footy to see we were four goals down at half time, and so I watched the rest (unfortunately).

We need to heed the uncle's advice. Someone on another thread pointed out that "Derickx takes the mark, we win by two goals and everybody's happy". Maybe Dericks has done us a favour. What good would it have done to win? We might have made the finals this year. We might still. But what would be the point? We had not a hope in hell of getting past the second week. A win today would have papered over some still gaping cracks. At least today we have a very good idea of who to put a line through.

Having said that, a smart organization would have known that even if we had won today.

Ah well, last week Carlton beat Collingwood and this week couldn't get near North. With all the finals pressure gone, a player or two back, and playing at a real footy venue, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we beat North next week.

As for the title of this thread .... is it too much for us long suffering fans to ask for just one?

Re: The Players Owe The Supporters An Apology

For the first half yes, those first 2 qtrs were the most insipid and pathetic display i've seen in a long time. Derrickx on the other hand personally owes an apology for not being able to mark a football on his chest that was delievered 10 metres away which would of certainly ended the match for GCS.

IrockZ said:
Paper over the cracks.

Kick after the siren and we have 1 person on the mark, just shows how dumb we are as a footy team and the lack of footy smarts. The Collingwood and West Coast's would of had the whole side lined up on the mark. Would it of made a difference? Who knows, but you do everything you can and we DONT.

Agreed. Great call. This says it all.

Stupid Richmond. Usual *smile* cliche

GOLD COAST 4.2 7.9 9.9 13.12 (90) RICHMOND 2.2 4.3 10.7 13.10 (88)
GOALS Gold Coast: Matera 2, Hall 2, Hunt 2, Hall, Brown, Swallow, Ablett, Bennell, Caddy, Harbrow. Richmond: Riewoldt 5, Nahas 4, McGuane 2, Graham, Maric.
BEST Richmond: Cotchin, Deledio, Nahas, Riewoldt, Houli, Ellis. Gold Coast: Ablett, Bennell, McKenzie, Harbrow, Shaw, Hunt.
INJURIES Richmond: Maric (soreness) replaced in selected side by Graham; Griffiths (calf) replaced in selected side by Webberley. Gold Coast: J Hall (cramp).
UMPIRES B Ryan, S McInerney, M Leppard.
CROWD 10,961 at Cazaly's Stadium.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/suns-hunt-down-tigers-20120714-2236f.html#ixzz20c0lBqu1

Re: A Good Year

23.21.159 said:
The uncle admonishes him and goes on to say that a man should accept his defeats as well as he does his victories, and that we learn nothing from winning. We learn much more from losing, and one of the most impotant things we learn is how much more enjoyable it is to win.

That's good to know. We should be the most learned football club in the entire world based on that theory.

Re: A Good Year

Dunno. Players come and go, and have a relatively short time in which to learn. Yesterday was the 451st Richmond loss I've sat through, and I'm not sure there's any benefit to be had in sifting through the bitter details. :'(

Actually, by Monday I think I'll feel relief. With the season effectively over, I'll be giving footy a wide berth this week, not worrying about injuries, selection, the opposition etc. Could prove cathartic.