Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread

Perspective

Firstly I need to say I was gutted by the loss today but we need some perspective here as well. Players missing from the team today:
I Maric
Griffiths
Martin
Jackson
King
Grimes
Foley
Vickery
White (would have kept his spot if not suspended)
Helbig
Astbury
That's 11 players who would press for selection if fit (half the team!)
We will have 6 of those players back within 2 - 3 weeks and maybe Grimes, Astbury and Helbig before the end of the season. I know it may be too late to resurrect our season by then but in the meantime we find out who is up to it and who isn't. IMO it is clear that Graham & Webberly are not, Derrickx and A Marric have huge question marks hanging over their heads, McGuane is doing what is being asked of him, O'Hanlon and Elton are still raw and need developing, we know that Miller is not.

Yes the past couple of weeks have shown that our depth is not strong but our future is not as bad as the way we all feel right now.

Next week will be a real test - with at least Maric, Griffiths, Martin and Jackson back in the side we will be much stronger and hopefully with the humiliation of the loss against GC to spur on the players they could turn things around. Look at North, they were absolute crap against Hawthorn in Round 10 and are now playing really good footy.

A week is a long time in footy... hopefully this week hurts the coaches and players real bad and we see a desperate committed effort next Sunday

Tommo37 said:
I just want to know, was our runner out there advising tuck how much time was left on the clock when we were 10pts up and to kick it long towards our forward line instead of a dinky 15m chip.

If he kicks it long we win end of story.

How many long Tucky kicks hit a target? Chances are it would have come back with interest. There are times for bombing it long, and there are times to chip it around and maintain possession (ie. when you're up by 2 kicks wih 50 seconds left on the clock to ice)

Re: Perspective

MalenyTiger said:
Firstly I need to say I was gutted by the loss today but we need some perspective here as well. Players missing from the team today:
I Maric
Griffiths
Martin
Jackson
King
Grimes
Foley
Vickery
White (would have kept his spot if not suspended)
Helbig
Astbury
That's 11 players who would press for selection if fit (half the team!)
We will have 6 of those players back within 2 - 3 weeks and maybe Grimes, Astbury and Helbig before the end of the season. I know it may be too late to resurrect our season by then but in the meantime we find out who is up to it and who isn't. IMO it is clear that Graham & Webberly are not, Derrickx and A Marric have huge question marks hanging over their heads, McGuane is doing what is being asked of him, O'Hanlon and Elton are still raw and need developing, we know that Miller is not.

Yes the past couple of weeks have shown that our depth is not strong but our future is not as bad as the way we all feel right now.

Next week will be a real test - with at least Maric, Griffiths, Martin and Jackson back in the side we will be much stronger and hopefully with the humiliation of the loss against GC to spur on the players they could turn things around. Look at North, they were absolute crap against Hawthorn in Round 10 and are now playing really good footy.

A week is a long time in footy... hopefully this week hurts the coaches and players real bad and we see a desperate committed effort next Sunday

We were 10 pts up with less than a minute to play. It doesn't matter who was and wasn't out there, the fact we could not hold on from there is an embarrassment and sn indictment on the club. We are a laughing stock for good reason.

Anyone blaming Hardwick and the coaching staff for that loss need to have a good look at the after match press conference that is up on the RFC website.

You can tell, especially at the end, how exasperated he was & his thoughts that stupid errors and poor efforts in not following coaches instructions cost us, especially at that last centre bounce. He also pointed out that we have almost half a side not available, players who "would walk into our best side" according to him. He did not use that as an excuse but said we will learn plenty abour our depth.

Re: Perspective

Punxsutawney Phil said:
We were 10 pts up with less than a minute to play. It doesn't matter who was and wasn't out there, the fact we could not hold on from there is an embarrassment and sn indictment on the club. We are a laughing stock for good reason.
Agree totally, I'm not excusing the utter pathetic efforts in the last 5 mins of the game but all I'm saying is with up to half of our best team not on the park we need to put this loss in perspective (as gut wrenching as it may be).

tigerfan1961 said:
Anyone blaming Hardwick and the coaching staff for that loss need to have a good look at the after match press conference that is up on the RFC website.

You can tell, especially at the end, how exasperated he was & his thoughts that stupid errors and poor efforts in not following coaches instructions cost us, especially at that last centre bounce. He also pointed out that we have almost half a side not available, players who "would walk into our best side" according to him. He did not use that as an excuse but said we will learn plenty abour our depth.
Did we clog their backline at the end? Were our tallest players standing the mark, and on the goal line, for Hunts kick at goal? Two really poor signs IMO.

That backline should have been absolutely flooded in those last 30 seconds. geezus christ, inexperience does cost us games.

Tigerchris said:
I disagree with you we need to set standards at this club , I would go as far as trading him if he continues to play up ( while we can get something decent for him). Look at Geelong they suspend Stevie J and it turns his career around

Yeah we should trade Martin because we have such depth of talent... ::)

I would have the last 2 minutes of this game running on a continuess loop for the rest of the year at the club with the words

NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN EVER scrolling across the bottom of the screen.

Anger has gone, dissapointment remains and when i wake up in the morning im gonna have that sick feeling in my stomach that will confirm that this was not wasn't a horrible dream.

How much would we have won by if...........

3 club decisions were reversed, and I Maric and D MArtin played, and the game was played at the 'G?

I would say 56 points - and everyone would be mite bit cheerier tonight..!

Tommo37 said:
I would have the last 2 minutes of this game running on a continuess loop for the rest of the year at the club with the words

NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN EVER scrolling across the bottom of the screen.

Anger has gone, dissapointment remains and when i wake up in the morning im gonna have that sick feeling in my stomach that will confirm that this was not wasn't a horrible dream.

Still angry, don't think I will be able to sleep.

Cannot remember having ever felt so gutted after a football game. I bloody hope the players are hurting, because they have screwed up a whole season in 30 seconds.

Re: How much would we have won by if...........

Delete this thread. No point looking at he past. Move on please.

Re: How much would we have won by if...........

Cotchytiggie said:
Delete this thread. No point looking at he past. Move on please.

I think the fact the club created a set of circumstances that cost itself 4 points and a wack of percentage is pretty relevant!

Each of the decisions on their own may have been correct, or maybe not, but the fact remains the club cost itself 4 point and a percentage wack.

Punxsutawney Phil said:

Cannot remember having ever felt so gutted after a football game. I bloody hope the players are hurting, because they have screwed up a whole season in 30 seconds.

Absolutely this.......still in a state of stupor.....

Jumped back from the 'changes against north' thread back to here...

Hypothetical time.....I wonder how we would have gone today had we had a stand alone reserves team instead of the Coburg affiliation?
In a tight contest, would it have made a difference if all players were 'on the same page' and confident with the game plan? Would it have even been a tight contest? A few close games that could have fallen to us, but we we just couldn't quite find a way to win them.

Does this situaiton just amplify our lack of depth beyond how it should affect results? The Pies have found ways over good sides (apart from last week's aberation) and they had a shokcing run of outs. Even with our outs, we really should have beaten the worst team in the comp.

So in the spirit of the other thread....
OUT: Coburg
IN: Stand alone rezzies..

Punxsutawney Phil said:

I understand how you're feeling.

Where was the leadership in those last few minutes?
We were the structures?
Where was the shutdown game plan?
Where were the guts?
Where were we?

suppose to play gold coast twice this season

+ is it true we were suppose to play gold coast suns twice this season but as we sold our home game to cairns we only play them once?

suppose to play them once at gold coast and once at MCG but instead only get one game at cairns?

decision has cost us 8pts if that is the case which it probably is........