Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread

tigerfan1961 said:
Exactly Disco- depth is our BIGGEST issue, We are getting there but nowhere near the required depth at the moment

It's so hard to keep a fleet of AFL-standard players in reserve because thanks to the expansion teams, the playing stocks are thin and competent players will seek opportunities elsewhere (examples - Grigg, Houli, I.Maric). Therefore you're stuck with developing kids or players who've never been quite up to it, who get exposed when called upon. Carlton has found itself in a similar position.

More than ever, success is reliant upon fewer injuries & sound injury management.

Harry said:
we never seem to let an opportunity go to be the laughing stock of the afl
No, we don't H. But it will change as we develop our list and bring in more quality as we have been undoubtedly doing in recent years. Just takes time and patience required I guess, or should I say more patience :(

Phantom said:
Yep, for those that feel downhearted,

I suggest you dial up the first of two Rockwiz episodes tonight.

The highlight was Steve Harley live, singing Cockney Rebel.

Watching Harley sing this song took all the hurt away.

I've IQ'd them both. Still half an hour left.

Dimma's statement sounds quite cheap.

But coach Damien Hardwick said neither that nor the venue were excuses.

He labelled the match the Tigers' most disappointing this year and the first half "deplorable".

But he said the Tigers' finals hopes were still alive.

"It can go one of two ways from here, it can fracture us as a group or we can build on it and get back where we know we can," he said.

Tigers2011 said:
This is about as low as it gets. Just shocking.

We've been saying this everytime we have been embarrased and humiliated. It can get lower. Lucky I'm not feeling as shocked as the majority on here. Expected this performance tonight.

Our side tonight was filled with the stench of duds that wouldn't get a game if we didn't have the injuries and suspensions. The duds let us down when the pressure was applied.

i don't know whats more embarrassing, our loss today or the responses on this thread.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It's so hard to keep a fleet of AFL-standard players in reserve because thanks to the expansion teams, the playing stocks are thin and competent players will seek opportunities elsewhere (examples - Grigg, Houli, I.Maric). Therefore you're stuck with developing kids or players who've never been quite up to it, who get exposed when called upon. Carlton has found itself in a similar position.

More than ever, success is reliant upon fewer injuries & sound injury management.
I know what you are saying but there are players on our list that have been developed as far as we can take them and are not up to it, like Angus, Webberley etc. Replace them or perish is the mantra these days.

We need to be really smart in trades and drafting to get anywhere, and I truly think we will. But, it takes time. Hardwick, in his 3rd full season, along with the List Managers and recruiters, will now have a better than good understanding of who is required, and will make the required changes.

tangles said:
keep to myself just read ,but tonite need to vent a little it helps to share the pain,been a proud tiger since the 70s
And I can understand everyones pain,we just need too stick together.
I am the same!!

se7en said:
i don't know whats more embarrassing, our loss today or the responses on this thread.

I'm ashamed of all the responses I have made on this thread and will regret doing them at a later stage.

However in the meantime I've got some more rubbishing and trashing my club over this p!ss poor effort to do.

Listening to Dermie on Austar shows our coaches have room to improve also.
Dermie said we should only have 2 fowards and everyone else fill up their forward line. Perfect sense! And we didn't do it! Game Over!

What really hurts

What really hurts me as a Tiger fan is the fact that not only are we more than likely to miss the finals yet again this year but the that there were 5 games that we were in a position to win and really should have won that we didn't now add those wins and we are near top of the ladder and thats not including the Bombers and pies games that were also close. This was our worst side for the year and a fitting worst loss for the year. OUCH

Tigers2011 said:
Members have a right to be devastated and angry - I know I am. However assuming that we're not going to close the doors (as tempting as that may seem tonight), we have to fix this club, specifically why this type of performance and result keeps happening.

Tearing up membership tickets isn't the answer. Your can tear up or melt the card, but you can never remove the emotional attachment you have to the club - that's why this result hurts so badly. For those of us who've been around a while and remember when the club was truly great, the current situation is sickening.

The answer remains with the following: -

1. Sound financial off field position - just about achieved that via TFTF and now there should be no more selling off home games. Cairns deal needs to be ended now. Members will chip in to buy it out if need be - raise the membership price by $10 per head. This is a cutthroat competition and we can't afford to give any opponent any advantage, regardless of how minor. Gale has done many good things, but the Cairns deal isn't one of them. In this case the football need outweighs the $ gained.
2. Recruiting better players so that we have a better list and not have the depth issues that has hurt us today. Might be a step back to take two steps forward.
3. Developing the players we recruit to be the best that they can be - still not convinced that this is being done properly.
4. Better game plan (with options A,B,C & D) and better game day coaching - Hardwick still to prove that he's up to it in my view. Must say that I've lost massive faith in him over the last month - nice guy but don't think he's up to it - challenge is for him to prove me wrong.
5. Improvement in on-field leadership - time has come to make our best player the Captain and that's Cotchin.
6. More honest communication with members - tell us how it is and no b/s. I don't expect an apology from the club about today, but expect a committement from those in charge that we must work toward fixing this mess. Everybody should be gutted and hurting today.

The last 30 years have been truly miserable. Results like today need to remind us all what has to be done, so that we never end up here again.
Well said, but the initial pain of today makes me angry. I was in Cairns last year and thought it couldn't get worse than that, it did today. Our backup is nowhere near where it needs to be. Ivan Maric has shown how good he is this year, he was really missed tonight. How can a team fighting for the 8, lose after being 3 goals up with 4 mins remaining. We are a laughing stock this week. I hate to name names but, Graham, never to play again. That mark he dropped with 90 seconds remaining lost the game, apart from that he was crap. Season now gone, lets get ready for next year, play Arnott & co.

se7en said:
most don't mean what they r saying, we need too vent our disappointment somehow,
And why not do it here with like minded people who feel the same pain as we do.

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
I'm ashamed of all the responses I have made on this thread and will regret doing them at a later stage.

However in the meantime I've got some more rubbishing and trashing my club over this p!ss poor effort to do.
Well said.

Bring on Malthouse, he would not except the rubbish that gets served up to us week in week out, i know that because I have seen him coach 2 successful teams.

Disco08 said:
Of course you wouldn't tim. I quantified by watching today and remembering back to how much better we played with Maric. We've been having 10 or more extra scoring shots against equally poor teams the last few weeks. Today they had more shots. The ruckman plays a massive part in getting the team going. It's simple deduction really.
so you made it up. Got it. Thanks.

Starting to calm down after this disaster.

On a positive note I thought Brandon Ellis was very good. Regularly found space and used it pretty well.

Re: What really hurts

Lack of composure in tight games sees us make simple mistakes that sides take full advantage of. Until we learn to think and execute late in tight games instead of trying to blast through at full pace we'll remain also rans.

tigertim said:
so you made it up. Got it. Thanks.

You thought by "10 goals" I really meant exactly 10 goals rather than just an expression of being much better?

miastar said:
Listening to Dermie on Austar shows our coaches have room to improve also.
Dermie said we should only have 2 fowards and everyone else fill up their forward line. Perfect sense! And we didn't do it! Game Over!

dont listen to Dermie. want do you any good.

but it is pretty basic footy, when you are up at the very end you pack the backline. im not sure why we didnt.

I just want to know, was our runner out there advising tuck how much time was left on the clock when we were 10pts up and to kick it long towards our forward line instead of a dinky 15m chip.

If he kicks it long we win end of story.