Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond vs Gold Coast Game Day Thread

super_coach said:
Yes we should have
We have a great record suspending key players
Did the same with ottens. We lost the game by 2 points and came 9th.
Ottens did well for himself though
I disagree with you we need to set standards at this club , I would go as far as trading him if he continues to play up ( while we can get something decent for him). Look at Geelong they suspend Stevie J and it turns his career around

Gutted is probably too soft, but deep down thought this would be the result. Feel for cotch and lids and not sure how the other players could look them in eye, but the still get paid, just don't bleed for t like cotch and the members. Can't wait to see the medical report on Maric as if he were rested, the match committee should be rested. Member still and for years to come, I'm passionate (gutted tonight) some players are also, the rest need to actually wake up and remember playing for the tigers is a honor not a pay cheque.

Re: A deep breath.

TigerForce said:
A miracle win against North next week could offset this pathetic loss, but I'd rather tank and delist/trade.

We're not good enough for finals with players and game plans like this.

4 weeks ago beating North wouldn't have been a miracle win, it was already pencilled in as a definite.

TigerForce said:
We're not good enough for finals with players and game plans like this.

Yep our depth has really been exposed.

When you're cursing blokes like White,Jackson and Connors for letting the team down, those blokes shouldnt be getting a game anyway

In fairness we had about 17 fits guys at the end of the game. So that's something I guess.

gold1 said:
OK time to take a deep breath and look at the positives.........................................................
... :help
zgod said:
We have more than one??

NO and NO

Baloo said:
4 weeks ago beating North wouldn't have been a miracle win, it was already pencilled in as a definite.

YES. In fact i can see the fixture i pencilled it in on now.

THIS HURTS BADLY.

sickened... gut wrenched....embarassed...sad, sad , sad ....my two young boys who I've been taking to the footy for 10 years now are yet to see us in the finals and keeping asking Daddy why ? why? why?. I will maintain my passion for the RFC til I die but They have lost interest. I cant keep selling them false hope anymore. they are old enough to now the truth now and its SAD...SAD...SAD

a deep breath, we are the joke of the AFL. And i pay my money to be a member and occasionally drive 5 hours to the games.
NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!

gold1 said:
OK time to take a deep breath and look at the positives.........................................................

Waited but still NONE that I can see.

I hope they train this team to the ground to feel the heat including gaol kicking practise

Bryson said:
Gutted is probably too soft, but deep down thought this would be the result. Feel for cotch and lids and not sure how the other players could look them in eye, but the still get paid, just don't bleed for t like cotch and the members. Can't wait to see the medical report on Maric as if he were rested, the match committee should be rested. Member still and for years to come, I'm passionate (gutted tonight) some players are also, the rest need to actually wake up and remember playing for the tigers is a honor not a pay cheque.
Sorry Bryson,but WHY did you think this would be the result????????? 21 losses last win against us .Perhaps you have nailed it. 30 years of hope,only to have it crumble to a team with 11000 supporters bought by the AFL.Too unkind?Sorry again,but if finals are on the line,there should be no beg pardons.

Struggled to beat Melbourne, struggled to beat GWS, lost away to the Suns. Writing was on the wall, just hard to accept. Plus a shocking way to lose.

Must continue to reshape the list and bring in new blood, plus some targeted experience.

Very hard to turn on the game and see old ghosts appear over the past weeks - McGuane, White, etc. They just need to be moved on. We will never be very good with such average players clogging the list (no disrespect intended to I believe quality persons like White).

When fit and healthy we can match it with the best this year. We just have to hang on to that. I have no doubt we have improved this year. Improvement next year will be dependent on Lids, Cotch, Martin, Maric all getting through the season (plus a few others). We have a nucleus of 15 good players or so and we need to get that up to 25 in the next two years with the remaining players developing. Still plenty of risk there with players not coming on, but such is our lot.

I think we must now focus on getting games into the likes of Elton, O'hanlon, Arnott (injury permitting) for the remainder of the year, and maybe a taste of senior footy for a rookie if any are up to it. No point playing those that are clearly gone now.

I always hate the time of the year when the cue goes in the rack, but at least this year it is probably at least 6 games later than the past few years. However no excuse for dropping off and copping any drubbings. Those days must be over if the players have any pride.

The AFL Season is a marathon....
5 weeks ago Nth Melbourne were on the nose....
just watching some of the games now, The Lions are giving the Saints a good run for there money and the Pies are giving it to the Cats.
I am just as shocked as the next Tiger fan what happened this season.
There will be plenty of more peaks & troughs before the season is over.

When you have - Maric, Foley, Vickery & Grimes out injured. Martin & Jackson out for stupidity...
Even the best teams are going to struggle to win...

Yes we should have beaten the suns...
But in any sport you give your opposition a sniff.. you are always going to be in trouble...

I hope this is the wake up call the guys need...

Finally " Football is a funny game"

Members have a right to be devastated and angry - I know I am. However assuming that we're not going to close the doors (as tempting as that may seem tonight), we have to fix this club, specifically why this type of performance and result keeps happening.

Tearing up membership tickets isn't the answer. Your can tear up or melt the card, but you can never remove the emotional attachment you have to the club - that's why this result hurts so badly. For those of us who've been around a while and remember when the club was truly great, the current situation is sickening.

The answer remains with the following: -

1. Sound financial off field position - just about achieved that via TFTF and now there should be no more selling off home games. Cairns deal needs to be ended now. Members will chip in to buy it out if need be - raise the membership price by $10 per head. This is a cutthroat competition and we can't afford to give any opponent any advantage, regardless of how minor. Gale has done many good things, but the Cairns deal isn't one of them. In this case the football need outweighs the $ gained.
2. Recruiting better players so that we have a better list and not have the depth issues that has hurt us today. Might be a step back to take two steps forward.
3. Developing the players we recruit to be the best that they can be - still not convinced that this is being done properly.
4. Better game plan (with options A,B,C & D) and better game day coaching - Hardwick still to prove that he's up to it in my view. Must say that I've lost massive faith in him over the last month - nice guy but don't think he's up to it - challenge is for him to prove me wrong.
5. Improvement in on-field leadership - time has come to make our best player the Captain and that's Cotchin.
6. More honest communication with members - tell us how it is and no b/s. I don't expect an apology from the club about today, but expect a committement from those in charge that we must work toward fixing this mess. Everybody should be gutted and hurting today.

The last 30 years have been truly miserable. Results like today need to remind us all what has to be done, so that we never end up here again.

Tigerflag2008 said:
Struggled to beat Melbourne, struggled to beat GWS, lost away to the Suns. Writing was on the wall, just hard to accept. Plus a shocking way to lose.

Must continue to reshape the list and bring in new blood, plus some targeted experience.

Very hard to turn on the game and see old ghosts appear over the past weeks - McGuane, White, etc. They just need to be moved on. We will never be very good with such average players clogging the list (no disrespect intended to I believe quality persons like White).

When fit and healthy we can match it with the best this year. We just have to hang on to that. I have no doubt we have improved this year. Improvement next year will be dependent on Lids, Cotch, Martin, Maric all getting through the season (plus a few others). We have a nucleus of 15 good players or so and we need to get that up to 25 in the next two years with the remaining players developing. Still plenty of risk there with players not coming on, but such is our lot.

I think we must now focus on getting games into the likes of Elton, O'hanlon, Arnott (injury permitting) for the remainder of the year, and maybe a taste of senior footy for a rookie if any are up to it. No point playing those that are clearly gone now.

I always hate the time of the year when the cue goes in the rack, but at least this year it is probably at least 6 games later than the past few years. However no excuse for dropping off and copping any drubbings. Those days must be over if the players have any pride.
Shades of 2006.Groundhog day

gold1 said:

I found one and only one. We are above Carlton on the ladder and that wont change for this week. Other than this , sorry can't help you.

honourable loss ? came back from 40 points down. credit to the boys