RICHMOND v HAWTHORN - GAME DAY THREAD | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

RICHMOND v HAWTHORN - GAME DAY THREAD

Barnzy said:
Thing is his mistakes result in opposition goals 99% of the time. Poor awareness, poor decision making and poor disposal. Off the top of my head he handed Hawthorn at least 3 goals from turnovers at cruical times today.

Yes, but he made Franklin go up the field to get his kicks and pressured him when he got it

Tigers of Old said:
Stopped a few too but no one credits him for those.

I said before when I originally posted that he was okay defensively today but his mistakes outweigh those by a fair margin IMO because he just hands goals back to the opposition on a platter time and time again.

Tigers of Old said:
Made a few mistakes as usual but did a pretty good stop job on Franklin IMO.
Some of his spoiling was absolutely top shelf.

a couple of mistakes for sure....but he did a great job otherwise.....

Barnzy said:
I said before when I originally posted that he was okay defensively today but his mistakes outweigh those by a fair margin IMO because he just hands goals back to the opposition on a platter time and time again.

He's not Scarlett no doubt. I just get a bit sick of the one way bashing regarding Muscles from some.

Tigers of Old said:
He's not Scarlett no doubt. I just get a bit sick of the one way bashing regarding Muscles from some.

I agree ToO - give the boy some credit. He kept Franklin from kicking a bag full and made him earn his kicks up the field today. I didn't mind his game. Sure, he turned it over a little but hell, so did a lot of other players.

Tigers of Old said:

does occasionally turn it over but IMO has done reasonably well this year considering how much we've been getting smashed.

needs a bit more composure. apart from that is far from the worst on our list

Chocco said:
Umpire No. 28 I wish I knew where you live, you maggot!

Troy Pannell. Had control of the middle in the third quarter when we were on the wrong end of a 9-2 count.

Met up with a Hawk friend at half time who was frothing at the mouth about McLaren. You know you're doing a sh!t job when both sides hate you.

Wish I could be more enthusiastic about the game but thought it was of a terribly low standard. So many fundamental errors for a match at the top level. But as others have said, at least we were in the match for the full ~120 minutes. Good experience for the lads.

rosy23 said:
Much improved game by Matty. Hope it gives him the confidence to take it to another level.

Agree. After Brown hit on Jackson, White was placed on him. Some words were said. Correct me if I am wrong, but it look like Brown said to white "Take me **** head"
Next ball up White took him on, got the ball and kicked a goal.
Never seen White so pumped after a goal. :D

Tigers of Old said:
Stopped a few too but no one credits him for those.

maybe the case To0, but looking at the game from an overall POV and losing by less than ONE goal...his mistakes that directly lead to opposition GOALS are even more glaring, sorry, just the way it goes, he trys, never said he didn't, just isnt good enough at this level, thats all.

Jack said:
My take. 3 things.

1. Proud and guttered. Really proud the boys were able to make a game of it. It was sooooo nice the really be barracking hard in the last qtr believeing that we actually has some chance to win. I had ( and still have ) a terrible headache at the end and my voice is horse. At same time, it hurts. Just so disappointing to be so close and not win, but at least feel could walk out with head high.

2. Umpires. Absolutely terrible. Inconsistant and unpredicable all day. Missed obvious frees, paid others you had no idea what for. Holding the ball, who would know, some paid some not. One minute something like in the back would be paid, then play on 5 mins later for same thing. Hopeless today.

3. Hawthorn. I want to give it to them a bit. If they can't put us away, then they are sh!t. Bigger and more experienced, but couldn't handle a bunch of down and out kids. Players like Roughhead looked intimidated at times from players 20kgs lighter.

And they have 50 000 odd members. We have 41 000. People say how well they have done and yet we only have 9000 less. They get 50 000 on top 4 potential and we get 41 000 on a promise of nothing.

If they had had the last 28 years we have had, they would be dead. If we had had the last 28 years they have had, we would have 60 000+ members. p!ss week club they are.

And Mitchell, front runner. Buddy, front runner. Brown, front runner. Particularly Buddy and Brown. Great when they are winning, and just plain duds when they are losing. If Richo kicked 2 goals 4 or 5 he would be branded a dud. Buddy does it all the time, and yet he is still a star, and he only has good games when they are doing well, and does nothing when they are not. Richo was great in a bad team his whole career. And Brown, what a hack. Again plays well when winning, does nothing when losing. And he is the tough man against young kids. What a hack.

Jack im has one eyed Richmond as they come but Mitchell is no frontrunner! He is as hard as they come & very good clearence player.

I miss most games due to work....tell me please...is there seriously any light at the end of the tunnel?

I want to believe that there is

I'm really disappointed that the focus has fallen on Luke's game. It's important to see a person overall contribution to the game and not just a few major stuff ups.

Campbell Brown cost his team plenty of goals for being *smile* weak in marking contests , not covering enough ground and being burnt off. But Hawks supporters things he's a hero because he had a few highlight reel tackles and hits.

Luke has a much better game, is strong at the contest all day and contains one of the best players in the AFL, but he makes a few obvious errors and cops a canning from Tigers' supporters.

Luke is no Scarlett or even Lake by any means and hopefully Post will replace him in time, but Luke should be recognized for being far from our worst player.

Dean Hart Northey said:
I miss most games due to work....tell me please...is there seriously any light at the end of the tunnel?

I want to believe that there is

Absolutely there is mate, Nason, Lids and Chimp all had their career high in possessions, we canned them in inside 50s, and played with heart (for a change).

Graham played a solid game. Hopefully will keep Simmonds out. Graham is one unit although a tad slow.

Like this statement from Hardwick!

The match was the first time, Hardwick felt, that his team had not lost the contest through a fatal drop-off during a single quarter. The consistency of effort seemed to please the coach most.

"I said to the players at the end of the game: Listen, we set a standard ... forget the first eight games, it's 0-0 so our season will really start now", he said.

"We want to build on what we took out of today's game and go forward from there."

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Absolutely there is mate, Nason, Lids and Chimp all had their career high in possessions, we canned them in inside 50s, and played with heart (for a change).
Lids had 35 disposals today, his career best was 36 against the Hawks late last year when he was captain.

Nason smashed his previous best (which was 15 disposals against Sydney) with 20 disposals

ZeroGame said:
Lids had 35 disposals today, his career best was 36 against the Hawks late last year when he was captain.

Nason smashed his previous best (which was 15 disposals against Sydney) with 20 disposals

Damn, fair enough, did you notice that Lids had a phenomenal 94% disposal rate with his 35 touches?

Inspector said:
Jack im has one eyed Richmond as they come but Mitchell is no frontrunner! He is as hard as they come & very good clearence player.

Yeah I know. Your right. I was talking a bit of crap there.

I was just still angry about him pulling Nasons hair. Could he find anyone smaller and younger? Pulling someones hair that has long hair. Good one. How original.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Damn, fair enough, did you notice that Lids had a phenomenal 94% disposal rate with his 35 touches?
I hadn't seen that, was wrapped with Foley's 100% efficiency rate too.
One of those two should be the next captain