RICHMOND v HAWTHORN - GAME DAY THREAD | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

RICHMOND v HAWTHORN - GAME DAY THREAD

Leysy Days said:
*smile* gave up 4 goals through terrible skills today.

With him & Jackson playing pivotal roles the club will never progress.

Ever.

All the stats indicate a richmond win. When you look closely at Daniel Jacksons stats you see he had 10 inside 50's for 1 score assist. That score could be a goal or behind. What happened to the other 9 deliveries into 50? I haven't seen the game but were they kicks from stoppages or were they unpressured kicks that missed targets? Was the delivery OK but the forwards not good enough.

You could never question the committment of Jackson, McGuane, Tuck and but unfortunately they almost play an old fashioned brand of football. here is such a premium on disposal today that you cannot carry too many poor users of the ball. Under presure or not, these guys are not good users of the ball.

thejinx said:
McGuane made some stupid mistakes, yes, but he negated many more goals than he gave away. Our defense really stood tall yesterday. Thursfield took some great marks in that last quarter and Moore did well considering he was playing against the best small forward in the league and was way oversized for the job.

McGuane did really well on Franklin yesterday. Matched his strength and pace on nearly all occassions. If he can stop those brain farts, he'll be a quality player.

The Hawks only had 38 I50's to 54 and still outscored us. Not quite sure I'd be raving about the defence.

Big Cat Lover said:
The Hawks only had 38 I50's to 54 and still outscored us. Not quite sure I'd be raving about the defence.

That's more damning on our forward line not being able to capatilise, than our back line leaking goals.

Big Cat Lover said:
All the stats indicate a richmond win. When you look closely at Daniel Jacksons stats you see he had 10 inside 50's for 1 score assist. That score could be a goal or behind. What happened to the other 9 deliveries into 50?
in comparison cotchin had 1 assist from 5 I50s, Nason 1 from 5, Martin and Webberley 0 from 4 and Lids 0 from 3.
Despite having 21 scores we only had 7 score assists.

Big Cat Lover said:

It was in some part due to our defense that they only had 38 I50s. We won a lot of the ball across half back.

Surprised no one really mentioned Mitchells tackle on Tuck. In a perfect world once Tuck ran past Deledio should have blocked for him. You can see that Deledio is standing there as Mitchell dives in at the back of Tuck. I would hope this is mentioned after the game. Not sure he would have kicked it but until the team sacrifes their bodies in this regards as other great teams do we wont be winning these types of games. Funnily enough if Nason had been the one at the back of this contest it woudnt have surprised me if he had thrown his wiry frame in the way of Mitchell to give Tuck a better run on goal

Brodders17 said:
in comparison cotchin had 1 assist from 5 I50s, Nason 1 from 5, Martin and Webberley 0 from 4 and Lids 0 from 3.

Does that mean that the other 14 scores were created by the forwards themselves from "loose" balls or contested marks? Does the player who kicked the ball to say reiwoldt in the last get a score assist?

Did you go to the game or watch it? What happened with Jackson's other 9 entries?

Don't know what your point is with the other players, whether you are defending jackson or ridiculing the stat?

Did you know that Jackson is 5th in the league for I50's per game (5.4) and 7th overall in I50's with 38. Do you know how many goal assists jackson has? One. Is that an indication of poor disposal to you? He has contributed a total of 2 goals this year - one score assist and one goal himself

There is no doubt Jackson can win the hard ball and he tries harder than most but is he providing value to the team? can he improve his kicking I50 and his decision making?

Big Cat Lover said:
All the stats indicate a richmond win. When you look closely at Daniel Jacksons stats you see he had 10 inside 50's for 1 score assist. That score could be a goal or behind. What happened to the other 9 deliveries into 50? I haven't seen the game but were they kicks from stoppages or were they unpressured kicks that missed targets? Was the delivery OK but the forwards not good enough.

You could never question the committment of Jackson, McGuane, Tuck and but unfortunately they almost play an old fashioned brand of football. here is such a premium on disposal today that you cannot carry too many poor users of the ball. Under presure or not, these guys are not good users of the ball.

Dan’s touches primarily came inside under heavy pressure.

Just watching the reply I just downloaded - that free kick called against Tambling on Muston in the last minute was an absolute disgrace...

Agree on Deledio not protecting Tuck. He was just spectating.

wigglyworm said:
Surprised no one really mentioned Mitchells tackle on Tuck. In a perfect world once Tuck ran past Deledio should have blocked for him. You can see that Deledio is standing there as Mitchell dives in at the back of Tuck. I would hope this is mentioned after the game. Not sure he would have kicked it but until the team sacrifes their bodies in this regards as other great teams do we wont be winning these types of games. Funnily enough if Nason had been the one at the back of this contest it woudnt have surprised me if he had thrown his wiry frame in the way of Mitchell to give Tuck a better run on goal

Are you sure it wasn’t Dan Jackson or Luke McGuane not shepparding?

Brodders17 said:

Think you are over-emphasising what an assist consists of. 33% assists (7 from 21) is actually above average based on weekend results.

Saints 5 from 21, Hawthorn 8/24, Bulldogs 6/31, Sydney 3/18, Melb 4/16, West Coast 6/25, North 5/24, Adelaide 7/20, Brisbane 4/24. Essendon were the best for the round 11/23 and Fremantle 10/22. Interestingly they playerd each other which may indicate that the style of play of the game may have more of an influence on assist counts than anything else.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Are you sure it wasn’t Dan Jackson or Luke McGuane not shepparding?

Happy to be proven incorrect but after you see Mitchells tackle the shot pans back and you see Deledio to the left of screen. There may have been others to the right but from that vantage point it looks as though Deledio could have put the block on. Until it is an instinctive process we will struggle. We get far to many players caught from behind when they are unaware that they are going to be tackled

ROLLS ROYCE said:
IMO the biggest difference for us today was Gus contesting in the ruck and Axl at the stoppages.

Axl is a fair dinkum in and under star and lets hope he stays fit.

Had he played last week we would have bolted in.

Yep we can't under-estimate the importance of Foley to the Tigers. A bit under-rated by the media imo. He brings a lot of balance back to the Tigers. Gus, happy with his effort. Hawthorn have a very weak ruck setup atm (Renouf has struggled so far), and he may be tested when he plays more experienced ruckmen but he did also bring more balance to the Tigers as well.

Big Cat Lover said:
Does that mean that the other 14 scores were created by the forwards themselves from "loose" balls or contested marks? Does the player who kicked the ball to say reiwoldt in the last get a score assist?

Did you go to the game or watch it? What happened with Jackson's other 9 entries?

Don't know what your point is with the other players, whether you are defending jackson or ridiculing the stat?

Did you know that Jackson is 5th in the league for I50's per game (5.4) and 7th overall in I50's with 38. Do you know how many goal assists jackson has? One. Is that an indication of poor disposal to you? He has contributed a total of 2 goals this year - one score assist and one goal himself

There is no doubt Jackson can win the hard ball and he tries harder than most but is he providing value to the team? can he improve his kicking I50 and his decision making?
i guess my main point was to question the stat. jacksons I50 to score assist ratio was equal to the combined ratio of the guys I mentioned.

I watched the game and reckon Jackson disposal was alright, can't remember any terrible I50 turnovers.

Considering the lack of options we generally have I50 i dont think that stat is necessarily a fair stat to judge a player on. (as another comparison hodge has 34 I50s and only 3 assists for the year, kicking to likes of franklin and roughhead.)
In short I dont rate the stat.

Am pleased to see Jackson is right up there with i50s in the league.

GoodOne said:
Think you are over-emphasising what an assist consists of. 33% assists (7 from 21) is actually above average based on weekend results.

Saints 5 from 21, Hawthorn 8/24, Bulldogs 6/31, Sydney 3/18, Melb 4/16, West Coast 6/25, North 5/24, Adelaide 7/20, Brisbane 4/24. Essendon were the best for the round 11/23 and Fremantle 10/22. Interestingly they playerd each other which may indicate that the style of play of the game may have more of an influence on assist counts than anything else.

i actually dont put much emphasis on the stat. my post was in response to a post questioning jacksons game based on his lack of I50s.

wigglyworm said:
Happy to be proven incorrect but after you see Mitchells tackle the shot pans back and you see Deledio to the left of screen. There may have been others to the right but from that vantage point it looks as though Deledio could have put the block on. Until it is an instinctive process we will struggle. We get far to many players caught from behind when they are unaware that they are going to be tackled

i think there may have been a touch of sarcasm from the colonel.

wigglyworm said:

Nah I’m sure you are right mate, I was just having a silly joke about PRE’s obsession with the faults of those two.

There was one thing yesterday that in the final washup might have cost us the game and that was the Jordan Lewis? goal to the city end. From where I was sitting it barely looked like it went through at head high and there wasnt one Tiger defender within cooee. And it's not the first time this year that we haven't had a defender or ruckman on the last line and the opposition has got a goal that they shouldnt have. Ok my angle might have been distorted but the murmurs around me highlighted that I wasnt the only one who was shaking their heads. Inexcusable in my opinion at this level that a ruckman or defender isnt on the goal line just in case.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Nah I’m sure you are right mate, I was just having a silly joke about PRE’s obsession with the faults of those two.

Whoosh - that was the sound of sarcasm going over my head. ::)

jackfrost said:
OK....was I defending the guy or something in that Bunindaoven ???......let me know, thats no problem and hell 2007 !!!!!, 3 years is a long time ago and a lot of water under the bridge also.

dude, i was sticking up for you - i 100% agree