Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhyan Mansell welcome to Tigerland

A trier and a good tackler but limited in so many other ways that are essential to an AFL career. However, no doubt he will continue to get a game until we can get a small forward skilful enough to replace him. It does show how substandard our recruitment policies have been over the recent years that we have to rely on the types like Ryan
MRJ is out injured, he has Mansell covered in most areas if not all.

Reactions: 2 users
What are these sub-standard recruitment policies you speak of? If I knew what they were I might be able to comment on whether or not that 'shows how substandard they are'. The record shows we've done well on junk draft picks, Mansell included. The issue, my dear UK, is AFL equalisation policies, not our recruitment policies.
OK, You got me! When you look at other clubs recent recruiting and making allowances that they have earlier picks, they have done better than we have. We have been struggling for a while with kids who have limited ability like Lennon, RCD and Corey Ellis to name but three. On the other hand, we have picked up some with talent. Christ, I am arguing against myself! However, Rhyan was a supplementary pick up who filled a need and his first few games he played more as a rebounding defender where his tackling was effective but distribution was not the best. Nothing much has changed as a small forward. I accept he fills a need but should we have an injury free club, it is doubtful he would get a game

Reactions: 1 users
Has the club sat back and let this bloke get a character assassination? Weak culture..
Pretty much everyone in the media said Carlton was victim blaming. I don't think the club needs to add anything, it won't add any value. Can do things behind closed doors and tell Carlton they behaved like *smile*.

We had 45 crumbling forwards and now we have Mansell. Who couldn't snap a goal in a 12's game.
I'm sick of tired of players getting games that don't influence the game
‘Influence the game’ - very good. We are picking our best team each week, but hopefully each year we get better ‘game influencers’ until we are back where we belong..!

I get he is hard at it (respect). However, his lack of skill level and lack of footy smarts far outweighs his hardness. We need to be playing players that have skill and test if they can harden up. Playing this guy (can't believe he signed for 2 more years) as opposed to giving a younger more skillful player will not take us forward. Yes, you need role players, this guy is not one of them. He is below a role player. If we re-sign him in two years we are in big trouble.

There's good reason to drop every one of our small forwards (except Bolton) atm. Who else to come in? Steele, Coulthard, MRJ. That's it baby. Not a surprise then that Mansell still gets a game.

Reactions: 1 user
Hide him in the back pocket as he’s not a small forward. He’s basically spends most of the time defending in the forward line because that’s his natural game. He has no natural small forward qualities and will never tear a game apart. His opponent basically has the weekend off. Mansell would be of greater value to the team playing a physical shut down role on a small forward.

Hide him in the back pocket as he’s not a small forward. He’s basically spends most of the time defending in the forward line because that’s his natural game. He has no natural small forward qualities and will never tear a game apart. His opponent basically has the weekend off. Mansell would be of greater value to the team playing a physical shut down role on a small forward.
His opponent has the week off, or he's a natural defender shut down role, which is it?

I get he is hard at it (respect). However, his lack of skill level and lack of footy smarts far outweighs his hardness. We need to be playing players that have skill and test if they can harden up. Playing this guy (can't believe he signed for 2 more years) as opposed to giving a younger more skillful player will not take us forward. Yes, you need role players, this guy is not one of them. He is below a role player. If we re-sign him in two years we are in big trouble.
Mansell is averaging 0.9 goals per game this season. Considering that as a team we struggle to kick 8 goals a week, that’s a decent return. He’s also averaging 3.6 tackles, 2.7 inside 50s from 10.6 disposals per game.

Three separate coaches have seen value in Mansell now. He may not be the most skilled player but his hardness and competitiveness, two attributes in short supply amongst our recent draftees btw, are without question.

Reactions: 4 users
Swap Nigel and Shorty then ?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user