Possible fine for Dusty | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Possible fine for Dusty

Whatever, we beat them by 15 goals.

15 goals you pathetic half-humans, yell whatever rubbish you like, your team is sh!t.

As for Dusty, with age will come the subtlety to make a point without making a point (and getting fined).

Jack managed to upset them and stayed on the right side of the line......technically.

Collingwood - just a footnote in 2015. Go away now you pack of irrelevance.

axlefoley said:
It sets the precedent that it's OK for fans to bird the players however the fans are not to constantly boo the same player all the time because these same player/s will sook.

The AFL/MRP are a joke.

Eddie McGuire should have banned those feral supporters.

I hardly think it "sets the precedent". The outer has been feral for a long time. I've been amongst it, boganing up with the best of them at times. Footy is passionate. It can be fun to completely lose yourself in the emotion of a big win, or a terrible umpiring decision. The self loathing comes later, with time and wisdom. Or for some it just never comes. They wear their lair badge with honour. They live to make those around them feel uncomfortable. The bloke/bird who always raises his/her voice just enough to make sure the family with the young kids can hear them drop the c-bomb. We've all had to shared the stands with them, sometimes they know someone or work for a company and love to open the window on their corporate box so you can hear them. But the mob hanging over the fence giving Dusty the bird (amongst the verbal barrage) are not special nor unique.

Dusty gets to cop a very modest fine. No biggy.

Baloo said:
I think it's you that doesn't understand "tradition"
Really? Wikipedia????

Try the Oxford dictionary....

"The transmission of customs or beliefs from GENERATION TO GENERATION, or the fact of being passed on in this way"

"A long-established custom or belief that has been passed on from one generation to another"

You wanna try and excuse Goodes' crass behaviour as "cultural tradition".....when he OPENLY admitted it has ZERO historical significance and was INVENTED only a few years earlier.
For a self-declared expert on aboriginal culture and history.....maybe you should learn what the words actually mean first????

P.S. And for what it's worth, Dusty's gesture has historical and cultural significance, dating back at least 700 years.

Dusty should have just invented a version of the Haka (being part Maori) to do towards the crowd. It would have been 2 minutes old......but, by your reckoning it would be culturally significant.

Parrot reckons it's a wet lettuce leaf penalty on his sliding doors section on the AFL site

Then again it is parrot we are talking about

It is a bit of a joke but the AFL come out of this very poorly in my eyes. No way would people in my house be subject to different rules based on race. And based on race is the only way I can see this considering recent behaviours they've condoned. I reckon they're a disgrace and should give a wide berth to topical non-football or political matters and concentrate on the game.

Still waiting for Tails or someone else playing the Traditional card to explain the history behind the so called war dance and the relevance to what Goodes and Jetta did.

What I find most annoying is that Dusty had to wait until Thursday to find out the verdict/penalty. As if Mark Evans hadn't already decided what penalty he was going to impose.

It absolutely reaks of double standards & hypocrisy.

The AFL come out of this situation looking very stupid.

The AFL could slip any further in the eyes of the man in the street. I can't remember them being so on the nose.

I constantly roll my eyes at how the AFL functions as an organization and worse when they adjudicate on matters they often create to their own determinate and credibility; Essendon anybody! The AFL CEO explains why the AFL has decided Martin’s gesture is very different to the gesture of Goodes by stating, “AFL CHIEF executive Gillon McLachlan doesn't see any inconsistency in the League's stance on players making gestures to fans in the stands.” He goes on to say, "I think everyone understands what the two-finger salute is actually supposed to mean and what it's about," McLachlan said in his weekly 3AW radio interview. I don’t so the onus is on him to tell me what Martin's gesture means otherwise he is fudging and saying a lot that amounts to nothing. There are many CEO’s that engage in this sort of speak! He goes further and says, "The indigenous war dance, whatever people want to call it, it's come out of an under-16 year-old Boomerangs group of kids, and it was done in indigenous round and it's supposed to be one of celebration. I don't think you can draw the links or the parallels." (I might add he astutely avoids using the name Goodes - well he thinks so anyway; during this interview) What he thinks and doesn’t think is not the point because many people have drawn parallels and the AFL CEO has simply failed to resolve the conflict by actually ignoring to address it. So the hole they have dug in recent times has just got a little deeper and the supporters are not fooled as much anymore to the continued annoyance of the AFL!

What does 2 fingers mean? I always thought it meant "get stuffed" which is about as offensive as "bless you".

Tigerdangerous said:
and it's supposed to be one of celebration.
Way to go Polo pony. Someone annoys you, you can celebrate by pretending to spear them to death. No where near as nasty as flipping the bird at someone n just wishing they'd *smile* off.

Might try that next time I'm out on the town n celebrating, just run up to strangers n pretend I'm gunna spear them full of holes. Reckon I might wind up in hospital with the livin *smile* kicked outta me.

Tigerdangerous said:
I constantly roll my eyes at how the AFL functions as an organization and worse when they adjudicate on matters they often create to their own determinate and credibility; Essendon anybody! The AFL CEO explains why the AFL has decided Martin’s gesture is very different to the gesture of Goodes by stating, “AFL CHIEF executive Gillon McLachlan doesn't see any inconsistency in the League's stance on players making gestures to fans in the stands.” He goes on to say, "I think everyone understands what the two-finger salute is actually supposed to mean and what it's about," McLachlan said in his weekly 3AW radio interview. I don’t so the onus is on him to tell me what Martin's gesture means otherwise he is fudging and saying a lot that amounts to nothing. There are many CEO’s that engage in this sort of speak! He goes further and says, "The indigenous war dance, whatever people want to call it, it's come out of an under-16 year-old Boomerangs group of kids, and it was done in indigenous round and it's supposed to be one of celebration. I don't think you can draw the links or the parallels." (I might add he astutely avoids using the name Goodes - well he thinks so anyway; during this interview) What he thinks and doesn’t think is not the point because many people have drawn parallels and the AFL CEO has simply failed to resolve the conflict by actually ignoring to address it. So the hole they have dug in recent times has just got a little deeper and the supporters are not fooled as much anymore to the continued annoyance of the AFL!

So Gil suggests some players can celebrate what they want and how they want and direct it to whoever they want in whatever manner they want, because it's indigenous round. Regardless in what manner or who it's directed at.
But Dusty can't celebrate how he wants or who he directs it at, with a smile on his face.But he is fined
Riiiight Gil. We get it.

tigertim said:
What does 2 fingers mean? I always thought it meant "get stuffed" which is about as offensive as "bless you".

Or " bite me". Some might be tempted to ask "would you do it to your granny?" Depends on the granny I guess. We didn't swear in my house growing up. But as we all got older the mood relaxed. Years later I taught my mum to throw the bird in various humourous ways. Now and again she will catch me with "here I've got something for you" and lift a "bird" out of her pocket. ;D So I can see why people think Dusty's fine is bit of an over-reaction. But the AFL's tied their own hands with their action on Cousins "bird" and their decision to suspend Dusty's previous "gesticulation" miscalculation.

Race relations is a different issue IMO. All can be treated equal when they are actually equal. At the moment that isn't the case and I can understand why an organisation like the AFL that is in a unique position, in that it puts Aboriginal faces on our screens every week in a way that give kids in remote communities hope, would choose to be more supportive of those players. Some clearly see that as "positive discrimination", that's as may be but the thing about positive discrimination is that it works.

tigertim said:

When I was a kid my dad always said it meant 'stick it up your jumper'. Pretty innocuous if you ask me

God help Adam Goodes, Lewis Jetta and those politically correct hypocritical A-holes at the AFL if Richmond gets a home final against Sydney. They thought the boos were loud in WA, well they haven't heard anything yet!!! At the very least 70,000 plus Richmond members and supporters should all do the two fingered salute whenever Dustin kicks a goal. The inconsistency and the double standards of the AFL are simply breathtaking. Simply disgusted.

What is funny is that when I was growing up this gesture was considered "rude". It seems that it not rude anymore .Maybe Dusty should consider this as a friendly alternative.

TT33 said:
What is funny is that when I was growing up this gesture was considered "rude". It seems that it not rude anymore .Maybe Dusty should consider this as a friendly alternative.

Wow! Showing your age there! :p :angel:

That changed to the two finger salute in the 60-70's and then the 1 finger middle digit in the 80-90's.

tigersnake said:
When I was a kid my dad always said it meant 'stick it up your jumper'. Pretty innocuous if you ask me
Pretty much any variation on "up yours" or "stick it....." covers it really.