Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

Graham's last 3 seasons have remained stagnant in terms of AFL Ratings. Apart from his first five games he's really never progressed as a player. Over his career he's averaged a rating of 9.18 and his last three seasons he's been at this or under it twice. This tells us that he's really never progressed and he was ranked 235th in the AFL this year as a mid/forward which makes him 13th picked on average in every side , but he ranks poorer as a midfielder. Jack Ross rates higher than him. So for a guy that is below middle of the range on average we actually got a bargain with pick 42. The only thing that annoys me with the system is with other deals and father/sons it blows out and that's where it hurts us more.

Reactions: 5 users
A lot of us have been critical of Graham over the last few years. Certainly after his start in 2017 we thought he would become a better player than he did.

All in all pick 42, end of second round, is reasonable.

The issue is the comparison. Battle gets 8? Yeah right, oh wait, I think that's a pig flying by. Add in the other ones who are players I have barely heard of and the compensation we get was about right, while other teams got way overs for their free agents leaving.

This is the issue - other clubs get favours, we get treated like *smile*.

Of course transparency would be good, but unless there is a complete overhaul of the boys' club at the AFL bunker they will continue their policy of being as opaque as they can get away with, and they are a connected boys' club so they get away with a lot.

The compensation for Graham is not a travesty, it only becomes a travesty in comparison with the favours handed out to others.

DS
Reckon the compo for Fridge was about right on the money.
The problem is more the mad scramble by other clubs with too much spare cash from the exploding cap, rushing out to buy moderate players on exorbitant contracts thinking that these players will somehow elevate them into flag contention. Some clubs gotta b seen to be doing something so desperately paying massive overs for bog ordinary players in the hope they're getting a Lynchman or Jizza. Bloody madness n it's obviously skewed *smile* out of the first few compo picks. Fridge's contract value is probably around half what the other ones are.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s not what we got for Graham. The compensation is probably one of the fairer ones, it’s when it’s compared to what other clubs have received that it becomes insulting.

Reactions: 11 users
It’s not what we got for Graham. The compensation is probably one of the fairer ones, it’s when it’s compared to what other clubs have received that it becomes insulting.
Plus, because we will have the most 1st and 2nd round picks in this draft, it's the "pushed down the order" factor on us as well.

We're going to be affected more than any other club.

Reactions: 1 users
This. Pick 42 is about right for Graham and getting him off our list is probably the biggest win we've had

• Dislike
Pick 42 for Graham is the biggest win we've had all year. We should be celebrating this outcome.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
We don't know the exact details of their deals, so we really can't comment.

We played this one wrong.
We had to do a St Kilda and call the AFL drafting system rigged and biased. Stomped our feet and called for the F/S to be abolished.

We played this one wrong.
We had to do a St Kilda and call the AFL drafting system rigged and biased. Stomped our feet and called for the F/S to be abolished.
We, unlike St Kilda, aren't a complete basket case of a club that simply makes up the numbers in the competition (anymore). So this approach would not have worked for us.

All I'm saying is he was on the fringe of getting a game, that's a fringe player.
Do you know how many games Jack Graham has played in the VFL in the last 4 years?
I'll give you a clue, it is less than 1. I am not sure how he can be considered a "fringe" player when he is selected every week he is available.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Do you know how many games Jack Graham has played in the VFL in the last 4 years?
I'll give you a clue, it is less than 1. I am not sure how he can be considered a "fringe" player when he is selected every week he is available.
He’s bottom six in best 23, everyone knows what he meant and would agree with fringe tag

But keep spouting pointlessly

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Fringe can also probably mean your 18th-22th best player. Doesn't have to mean they're playing VFL.

2nd worst average vote getter this season, averaging 0.71 votes per game. Only just beat Dow's 0.65 votes per game. 100% a fringe player.

Reactions: 2 users
He’s bottom six in best 23, everyone knows what he meant and would agree with fringe tag

But keep spouting pointlessly
Yep exactly. I was referring to last couple of years and this year we were smashed by injuries, possibly the only reason he was getting a game. The point is he wasn't worth 1st or 2nd band. I'd say most Tiger supporters or not would agree with that. You still need your fringe players for depth. But we're rebuilding now.

Yep exactly. I was referring to last couple of years and this year we were smashed by injuries, possibly the only reason he was getting a game. The point is he wasn't worth 1st or 2nd band. I'd say most Tiger supporters or not would agree with that. You still need your fringe players for depth. But we're rebuilding now.
The formula must be based on data rather than circumstance or subjective opinion. On numbers I think we were treated quite harshly.

Graham should have been shipped when he toured Ports facilities. Would have been gone if not for JHF move. The exact types we need to get off our list so it's a good start. Next should be KMac