Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Every chance the same player we want at 2 is there at 6 or one we rate similarly
Yep, I'd be surprised if we are going into the draft thinking these are the 2 we have to have in this particular draft. More likely these are the 4 or 5 that we want 2 of in the first 6 picks. Gives the extra chance of a good player via an extra pick further down the draft.

Reactions: 2 users
A key difference to Rioli is Shai has said he's happy to stay put if a good deal (for us) can't be reached.
He's only 25. Plenty of great footy left.
It's up to Freo to cough up if they want to pry him out or he stays put. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: 5 users
Numbers wise, peak Shai is frequent, not rare, and comparable to Jason Akermanis. He's worth around pick #3 IMO. 25yo.

This year 17 touches and 1.5 Goals a game playing forward for a side that averaged nine goals and won two games.

He gets on the park. A fixture. Sound. He can play at RFC. Terrific player.

The Backwater Dockers should trade their picks into 2025 so they can snare Warner, who will probably stay at S-Town. And by then the Wanchors will need pick #1 to get Shai. We won't have that because Shai will play for us.

Maybe we can offer Brayshaw $2M to come to RFC. (That'll get Ninthmantle pick #9 in compo.) We can just keep Rioli too.

We don't have to go radical rebuild. If we don't we'll be slapping the Wanchors in two years.

Fremantle didn’t make the eight this year.

Longmuir coaches with a heavily defensive mindset. Heavily.

To leverage scores with so few forward of the ball you need creators. Inciters. Artists.

Walters once played this role in defensive Freo teams under Lyon.

They don’t have anyone who can do it at the minute. They critically need someone to enable their talented key forwards.

Blair knows how much Fremantle needs Bolton.

Fremantle knows how much Fremantle needs Bolton.

If Longmuir defends his way to 10th next season he is done.

So this deal gets done. At a high premium.

Reactions: 10 users
Numbers wise, peak Shai is frequent, not rare, and comparable to Jason Akermanis. He's worth around pick #3 IMO. 25yo.

This year 17 touches and 1.5 Goals a game playing forward for a side that averaged nine goals and won two games.

He gets on the park. A fixture. Sound. He can play at RFC. Terrific player.

The Backwater Dockers should trade their picks into 2025 so they can snare Warner, who will probably stay at S-Town. And by then the Wanchors will need pick #1 to get Shai. We won't have that because Shai will play for us.

Maybe we can offer Brayshaw $2M to come to RFC. (That'll get Ninthmantle pick #9 in compo.) We can just keep Rioli too.

We don't have to go radical rebuild. If we don't we'll be slapping the Wanchors in two years.
Beat me to it Jack

Fremantle needs this to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Too many 'experts' talk about pick 10 & pick 11 as if these are selection guarantees.
They are still very speculative selections even in a reportedly strong draft with no guarantees whatsoever of finding a quality AFL player.
On the other hand Shai is a contracted, proven commodity in his prime who can play in the midfield & kick goals.
They are hard to find. Give me that attacking playmaker type over running half backs or speculative draft picks every day of the week!
Pay up Fremantle or FO!

Reactions: 20 users
Its pick 10 and 11 or we keep him hes the one id be very happy to keep hes our best player

I hope the Wanchors have traded a few picks into 2025 so they can pick up Warner.

That’d be a sound plan.

Too many 'experts' talk about pick 10 & pick 11 as if these are selection guarantees.
They are still very speculative selections even in a reportedly strong draft with no guarantees whatsoever of finding a quality AFL player.
On the other hand Shai is a contracted, proven commodity in his prime who can play in the midfield & kick goals.
They are hard to find. Give me that attacking playmaker type over running half backs or speculative draft picks every day of the week!
Pay up Fremantle or FO!
Them talking 11 and 18 being overs is akin to drinking dishwater with noodles.

Its highly, highly unlikely we get anyone as good as Shai in return.

Reactions: 10 users
“We’ve gone in with what we consider to be a really strong offer. As everyone’s aware the draft is very strong, so the offer we’ve put forward is strong on any given year, but particularly this year we believe it to be a strong offer,” Bell told Trade Radio.

It’s unclear if DumBell thinks Freos offer is strong….💪
Hope Blair is laughing at this…..

Regards,
Stan

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Boltons house in Carnegie is officially on the market. Clearly he thinks a deal will be done.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
“We’ve gone in with what we consider to be a really strong offer. As everyone’s aware the draft is very strong, so the offer we’ve put forward is strong on any given year, but particularly this year we believe it to be a strong offer,” Bell told Trade Radio.

It’s unclear if DumBell thinks Freos offer is strong….💪
Hope Blair is laughing at this…..

Regards,
Stan
Dumb Bell pitches this offer then gives in. Has to be seen as playing hard ball. Realistically, Both Bolton and Rioli will be match winners for their future sides. Need to pay for their services.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's an analogy for the Rioli/Bolton trades:

I own my house, it's a very nice house, voted best house in the suburb, I'm happy to own it for many years to come. I don't need or have to sell it

Mr Fremantle Suns has been eyeing my house off all year and finally he comes to the door and say "I'd like to buy your house! Sell it to me!"

"Well, it's not for sale, I'm happy living here but if you really want it it's $2m"

"What?! But I only want to pay $1.1m. sell it to me for $1.1m!"

"But it's $2m"

"But I only want to pay $1.1m"

"Well maybe you need to buy a house for $1.1m. See ya."

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users