Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

My earlier take you're referring to was more about their performances and reliability on the field rather than a personal stance against Shai? I was looking at consistency and attitude during challenging times as key factors in building a strong team.

That is not what u said.

you don't need a private school education to show an ounce of gratitude, weird take.

Blokes wanted out ever since he was drafted according to Blair. Yeah he's a Richmond premiership player but he ain't a Richmond man. Astbury, Houli, Cotch and Jack are.
He's been part of two premiership teams. A life member & his kid is eligible to play for us. He's definitely a Richmond man.
FFS he wanted to go home as soon as he was drafted. The fact he stayed here for 8 years despite that is testament to both our club & Shai.
I wish him well.

Reactions: 10 users
Obviously he stuck around longer than the club thought or expected.
I think he might be what they need, if Freo don’t snag a flag then they never will.
Only problem is there quite a few contenders coming up.
Only great teams can be a dynasty team.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this move is a bit of a win-win-win. Rare to have that happen so I think it should be commended and appreciated.

Shai gets to go home. If you believe Hartley’s statements yesterday than it’s well and truly time for him to return to WA. (Also, let’s not forget we have benefitted from homesick Victorians over the years).

Freo add a quality player to a decent roster. And a bit of “star power” that I’d argue they have lacked for long stretches of their existence as a club. Good on them.

And then for us, most importantly, we remove a player who didn’t want to be here - and spent most of last season playing like it. Keeping him here underperforming on that large chunk of the cap would have crippled us for years. The whips are cracking now, we want hungry fighters not “cherry on top” types. We’ve turned him into 2x throws at the stumps in the first round - exactly what we need right now.

I’m thrilled the club haven’t let sentiment cloud their decision making. Our halcyon days of last decade are over. Here’s to a fresh start and the building of a new dynasty!

Reactions: 1 users
I wish him well but was slightly disappointed in the trade... I was expecting to get more for Bolton than Rioli....
This surprised me too.
There is a big premium on forwards.
Shai may be yet to peak.
Time will tell.

By the way, Shai is a very tough kid. Mykelti hit him so hard I thought the tv would fall off the wall.

A dynamic player at his best
Freo got a bargain for the equivalent of picks 11 and 18.

The trade
Bolton and our picks 14 and 37 ish (F3)
For picks 10, 11, 18.
Picks 14 and 37 cancel out pick 10 at a minimum.
So the deal equivalent to picks 11 and 18 Or less. Well and truly unders. But that was it.

so much unders...& west coast never allowed to show their hand
rapt with the other trades.
the unappreciation of the part across the board pace played in our flags is mind boggling

own trumpet blow warning.
i convinced 8 fam members to part with $50 @ 34:1 early '17....$1700 each
king for 2 mths.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't believe the dabates over Shai. The Freo fans are mostly happy, but still everything from wow my dreams have come true, to overrated peaheart. Sure he's not perfect, but by the eye, by the stats, by the CV, he's a star. Rolled gold. Any side would kill to get him. Buckly still hasn't gotten over missing him in the draft. He's just going to keep getting better, the non-perfect parts of his game are eminently improvable.

We weren't ripped-off, but they got a bargain.

Reactions: 3 users
Can't believe the dabates over Shai. The Freo fans are mostly happy, but still everything from wow my dreams have come true, to overrated peaheart. Sure he's not perfect, but by the eye, by the stats, by the CV, he's a star. Rolled gold. Any side would kill to get him. Buckly still hasn't gotten over missing him in the draft. He's just going to keep getting better, the non-perfect parts of his game are eminently improvable.

We weren't ripped-off, but they got a bargain.
Bolton might be the addition that saves Longmuir's job'

Shai is the EXACT player Freo doesn't have (not many do) he will make a massive difference to them especially at Home games.

May he play 99 fantastic games fore them. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Blokes wanted out ever since he was drafted according to Blair. Yeah he's a Richmond premiership player but he ain't a Richmond man. Astbury, Houli, Cotch and Jack are.
That’s not what Blair said.

He talked about how Shai was a 17 year old indigenous kid when he joined us and wanted to go home straight away. That is completely understandable and is a testament to him as a person and the club that he stayed for 8 years. Of course he is a Richmond man.

He is a 25 year old with a small child and a partner expecting again and all their family support structures are in WA.

I reckon Blair explained it well, but he never said that Shai wanted to go home ever since he was drafted.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
That’s not what Blair said.

He talked about how Shai was a 17 indigenous kid when he joined us and wanted to go home straight away. That is completely understandable and is a testament to him as a person and the club that he stayed for 8 years. Of course he is a Richmond man.

He is a 25 year old with a small child and a partner expecting again and all their family support structures are in WA.

I reckon Blair explained it well, but he never said that Shai wanted to go home ever since he was drafted.
Agree, and kudos to Shedda for making him (and other indigenous players) feel at home at the time. Love to have him back at the club someway.

Reactions: 4 users