Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Just because you have been saying the same thing for years doesn’t make your opinion any better. Just means you have been consistently wrong.
So what does that make your opinion???? Nothing but another *smile* joining all the other opinionated arseholes making noise.
Well noted by fans and meedjia that, he's inconsistent, he's not a reliable kick for goal, he's constantly giving away 50 metre penalties for stupid and petulant infringements, he often tries to make all the mercurial flash play by himself when he should be involving his team mates more ( cardinal sin in a team sport ), which he often stuffs up.
While they're not the be all and end all, he's averaging all of 79 ranking points per game for the season, hardly elite level performance or consistency.

Bloke has all of the games abilities n talents at his fingertips, could and should easily be up there with the best that the game has seen in any era. Perhaps we fans will see it evolve and solidify over the next five years of his career, but I'm not so sure.

Reactions: 4 users
Would we consider a player swap? I’d be happy for trade to include Treacy. You’ve got to sacrifice quality to get quality, but I doubt not too many players would want to come to us at the moment.
Would accept nothing less then Hayden Young

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Dan is a triple premiership player, 26/7 years old, in the prime of his career & playing great footy, may win the JD Medal this year & is becoming a real leader. (Why do you think Dimma wants him) He also has 3 years left on his contract.
All very compelling reasons why pick 5 is well unders imo. It needs to be that PLUS another 1st rounder with 1 of our 2nd rounders going back to the Suns.

If not then I'd be saying NO DEAL.
We hold the whip hand in both this and the Bolton negotiations & we'd better be bl00dy tough in what we accept.

We cannot be bent over. Its up to the clubs who want these players to agree to our terms.
Which is why they may well pay overs.

The question is whether someone like DR is really worth a pick 5 ? Probably not imo but that doesn't mean we won't get it for all the reasons you mentioned

Sports are full of people who have sublime ability but are inconsitently brilliant, it is just part of their nature. For example Mark Waugh was to me a superior batsman to his brother but look at their test records, Mark couldn't help himself to going for the flashy square drive that Steve would leave alone.

The fact that he drifts in and out of games, his performances can be inconsistent week from week and that he looks laconic on the field is all part of who Shai Bolton is. He is never going to be Trent Cotchin or the ultimate consistent team player.

I don't mean that to denigrate him, he is an exciting player. He is very top echelon talent and is a very top echelon performer as well, just not consistently.

Reactions: 7 users
the idea that Bolton is inconsistent is kind of true.

hes either really good, or incredible.

a predominately small forward whose averaged 17d 3 clearances and over a goal a game for 130 games with his best to come?

his numbers will end up like Toby Green (20d 2.3cl 1.5g) who plays a very similar role over 236 games.

$hai gets judged bad, when hes not incredible.

which is understandable, but also untrue

Reactions: 10 users
the idea that Bolton is inconsistent is kind of true.

hes either really good, or incredible.

a predominately small forward whose averaged 17d 3 clearances and over a goal a game for 130 games with his best to come?

his numbers will end up like Toby Green (20d 2.3cl 1.5g) who plays a very similar role over 236 games.

which is understandable, but also untrue

Yeah Shai seems to be marked in the same way that Dusty was. If he wasn't at his brilliant best (but still good) then the general consensus is that he has been crap which is laughable.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah Shai seems to be marked in the same way that Dusty was. If he wasn't at his brilliant best (but still good) then the general consensus is that he has been crap which is laughable.

He's not been crap by any means - my one gripe is his overly casual set-shot kicking at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify, as I have been away this week.

Are we farewelling Shai today?

Or the stories earlier this week were overcooked and he hasn't made a decision?

Nah.
I judge $hai bad when he tries to play like he's the only one in the team n ignores the fact that he's got lots of other helpers out there.
I also judge him and others bad when they regularly give away 50 metre penalties with irrelevant and insignificant stupidity or petulance. *smile* that might not be to damaging when you're a premium side dominating the comp, but is morale destroying when you're struggling to be competitive.
His goal kicking reliability is also nothing to write home about either.
It's all relatively minor little things within his game, that should be simple enough to fix and erase from his game. Which would elevate him from a bloody good and at times mercurial player to premium elite.

Hey, it's only my opinion n like a big hairy n windy *smile* I'm entitled to have one.

Nah.
I judge $hai bad when he tries to play like he's the only one in the team n ignores the fact that he's got lots of other helpers out there.
I also judge him and others bad when they regularly give away 50 metre penalties with irrelevant and insignificant stupidity or petulance. *smile* that might not be to damaging when you're a premium side dominating the comp, but is morale destroying when you're struggling to be competitive.
His goal kicking reliability is also nothing to write home about either.
It's all relatively minor little things within his game, that should be simple enough to fix and erase from his game. Which would elevate him from a bloody good and at times mercurial player to premium elite.

Hey, it's only my opinion n like a big hairy n windy *smile* I'm entitled to have one.
I tend to agree. He doesn't seem to work on removing these things from his game, as they've been there since day 1 and have not had much improvement.
Seems to want to get by on talent alone, which is where someone like Dusty differs.
Shai has elite potential. Seems to be content being "just" very good.

I tend to agree. He doesn't seem to work on removing these things from his game, as they've been there since day 1 and have not had much improvement.
Seems to want to get by on talent alone, which is where someone like Dusty differs.
Shai has elite potential. Seems to be content being "just" very good.
Hasn’t had a great year general but not top 30??? Crikey that is really rough.