Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

If, as Cal Twomey is suggesting, Daniel Rioli goes to GC for pick 5, then surely Shai Bolton is worth more (e.g. 3), or at least the equal ?

But no, Twomey suggests Bolton is worth 9 and 17 (realistically 12 and 20) from Freo and its a great deal for us. *** off.

What the *** are these guys smoking in the media ? Do they ever stop and take the time to genuinely work out anything that is commensurate or do they just blurt out unconsidered rubbish all the time ? Obviously it's the latter.

Some of these Bolton trade values are absurd and if they ever took on the possibility of happening I'd be saying stuff it. Bolton stays and plays out his contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
If, as Cal Twomey is suggesting, Daniel Rioli goes to GC for pick 5, then surely Shai Bolton is worth more (e.g. 3), or at least the equal ?
If Tim Kelly is the standard to go by - deal amounted to 3,200 points

Fremantle - 9, 10 & 17 for Bolton and 30 = 3,260 points.
But then Fremanltle's 9, 17, 25 = 3,220

West Coast 3 & 23 = 3,050 points

Reactions: 1 users

But no, Twomey suggests Bolton is worth 9 and 17 (realistically 12 and 20) from Freo and its a great deal for us. *** off.

What the *** are these guys smoking in the media ? Do they ever stop and take the time to genuinely work out anything that is commensurate or do they just blurt out unconsidered rubbish all the time ? Obviously it's the latter.

Some of these Bolton trade values are absurd and if they ever took on the possibility of happening I'd be saying stuff it. Bolton stays and plays out his contract.
I’m no apologist for Cal Twomey but he did make the point that there isn’t and hasn’t been a long list of players willing to be traded to the Suns and that means they will probably pay overs if they get Rioli.
I think he actually used the term “overs”.
That being said 5 is overs for Dan imo but I also agree we would want a top 10 pick within the compensation for Bolton should he leave.

Reactions: 3 users

I think the other thing the media is saying is because the draft is so deep, folks aren't desperate to trade picks up, because they know they'll get quality where they are.
So Freo might not be able to package to get up to what we want.
If we end up with 9 & 10, I'd probably say future first as well...back yourselves in this will be pick 18.

If Tim Kelly is the standard to go by - deal amounted to 3,200 points

Fremantle - 9, 10 & 17 for Bolton and 30 = 3,260 points.
But then Fremanltle's 9, 17, 25 = 3,220

West Coast 3 & 23 = 3,050 points
I did those numbers last night on the back of an envelope. I stand to be corrected because I did them very quickly but:

Geelong received 14, 18 (2020), 24 and 37 for Kelly. They gave back 52 and another 3rd rounder (2020) that I cant find. Lets call it 50. The nett sum of that is 2895 points.

If Bolton is picks 9 and 10, which is actually something like 12 and 13, then that equates to 2480 points.

Bolton is 415 points less a player than Tim Kelly ???? That's what Jon Ralph thinks. Cal Twomey thinks he's worth 12 and 20 which eqates to 2180 points.....a full 715 points less than Tim Kelly.

I’m no apologist for Cal Twomey but he did make the point that there isn’t and hasn’t been a long list of players willing to be traded to the Suns and that means they will probably pay overs if they get Rioli.
I think he actually used the term “overs”.
That being said 5 is overs for Dan imo but I also agree we would want a top 10 pick within the compensation for Bolton should he leave.

Dan is a triple premiership player, 26/7 years old, in the prime of his career & playing great footy, may win the JD Medal this year & is becoming a real leader. (Why do you think Dimma wants him) He also has 3 years left on his contract.
All very compelling reasons why pick 5 is well unders imo. It needs to be that PLUS another 1st rounder with 1 of our 2nd rounders going back to the Suns.

If not then I'd be saying NO DEAL.
We hold the whip hand in both this and the Bolton negotiations & we'd better be bl00dy tough in what we accept.

We cannot be bent over. Its up to the clubs who want these players to agree to our terms.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Dan is a triple premiership player, 26/7 years old, in the prime of his career & playing great footy, may win the JD Medal this year & is becoming a real leader. (Why do you think Dimma wants him) He also has 3 years left on his contract.
All very compelling reasons why pick 5 is well unders imo. It needs to be that PLUS another 1st rounder with 1 of our 2nd rounders going back to the Suns.

If not then I'd be saying NO DEAL.
We hold the whip hand in both this and the Bolton negotiations & we'd better be bl00dy tough in what we accept.

We cannot be bent over. Its up to the clubs who want these players to agree to our terms.
Absolutely Teets. Hear hear.

Reactions: 1 user
I did those numbers last night on the back of an envelope. I stand to be corrected because I did them very quickly but:

Geelong received 14, 18 (2020), 24 and 37 for Kelly. They gave back 52 and another 3rd rounder (2020) that I cant find. Lets call it 50. The nett sum of that is 2895 points.

If Bolton is picks 9 and 10, which is actually something like 12 and 13, then that equates to 2480 points.

Bolton is 415 points less a player than Tim Kelly ???? That's what Jon Ralph thinks. Cal Twomey thinks he's worth 12 and 20 which eqates to 2180 points.....a full 715 points less than Tim Kelly.

in the Tim Kelly deal that future first was est. at pick 13 hence the value of the trade of around 3,200 at the time of the deal.

Hmm 2,400 is around the value of the Lachie Neale trade.

in the Tim Kelly deal that future first was est. at pick 13 hence the value of the trade of around 3,200 at the time of the deal.

Yeah, but it ended up being 18 in 2020 so that was the actual or realised value.

Yeah, but it ended up being 18 in 2020 so that was the actual or realised value.
What's the chance that Richmond say that we need a very high end draft pick as part of the trade?

Fremantle would need to look to split with say North for pick 2 and on trade that.

Obviously we could do that too (split with North) after a trade with Fremantle but there is no surety.

Last edited:

Lachie Neale is not a 2 time premiership player.

• Haha

I really dont care what previous deals were done. He’s our contracted player so we can ask what we like. 3,500 or 4,000 points? Why not 5,000 points. Why not 2 picks under 10 and a second rounder? We can ask this for both Shai and Daniel. *smile* em. They are both under contract.

Reactions: 4 users
We must not fold to getting unders for Bolton or Rioli - we have upper hand and either or both deals must be to our advantage. Otherwise it’s a firm
“No” .

Freo have picks 9 and 10 currently (9 tied to collingwood). Most likely they offer us these picks for Bolton. If Collingwood lose and essendon win pick 9 becomes 7.

These idiots fail to acknowledge he has 4 years left on a very lucrative contract.

Pick 5 for Rioli is a no brainer. It’s overs but he is contracted.

Freo need to find 2 picks in the top 10 for Bolton. I am happy to give back our Graham compo pick. This is where we need to stand our ground.

Reactions: 2 users
Cal Twomey will just be repeating what he's heard, Redders. And he hears plenty.

We already know that Freo is offering their second and third picks, which we're deeming as 13 and 21. Obvious. And ambit. RFC will be saying they have to trade up for a top five pick. But in the end we'll do that. If we can.

• Sad
I ran this past a West Coast supporter who thought they might go for it:

West Coast gives us 3 and 23. Freo gives them 9, 10, 17. We give Freo Bolton and 30.

Freo will be willing to give us 9 and 10 when push comes to shove. Downgrading 17 to 30 isn't huge in this draft. Or maybe West Coast accepts 9, 10, 26.

I ran this past a West Coast supporter who thought they might go for it:

West Coast gives us 3 and 23. Freo gives them 9, 10, 17. We give Freo Bolton and 30.

Freo will be willing to give us 9 and 10 when push comes to shove. Downgrading 17 to 30 isn't huge in this draft. Or maybe West Coast accepts 9, 10, 26.

It is really hard to know what a fair deal is.

Would you prefer 3 players in a deep draft at 9, 10 and 17 - 3 first rounders or 2 players at 3 and 23. Easy decision when the top half dozen often stand out but this year it’s not straight forward . Pick 3 would want to be a special player imo.