Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Without trading players which might be likely - For Fremantle to get things done as it stand could see them splitting pick 10 to a team like Sydney just for example purposes - for pick 19 and a future first. Maybe something back to Sydney. Geelong would be possible too.

The advantage of that is that pick 19 counts as a first round pick so Fremantle use that in this draft and it will satisfy the AFL 2 in 4 rule for first round picks. Means they can go after Warner next year without applying for an AFL exemption on first round picks - which could well be rejected. Fremantle would need to be creative. Not sure Sydney would help them but another team might do it

So would leave Fremantle with 9, 17, 19, 25 plus a future first as an example.

Means they have 2 first round picks next year plus now within the rules to trade 2026 future first + even compromised 2027 draft too.. So 3/4 first round picks available for Warner in 2025.

9, 17 and 25 to Richmond = a value of 3,223 points.

Or Richmond receives the Gold Coast pick 20 involved in a Rioli trade (plus another high pick) and that is then passed on to Fremantle with Richmond receiving 9,10 & 17 = 2,977 points. Fremantle still keep the first round pick at 20.

Obviously could be various scenario's but would think Fremantle will want to take 1 first round pick to the draft this year.
I also feel sure that they would want to take a first round pick to the draft, but Freo should be told that if they want our best player, the price will include those three picks with payment of some of his salary, over the first three years, going back.

Don't want to see this deal get done in any event, but agree with Easy.
Any deal with another club which includes 9, 10 or 17 should bring an immediate no from us.

Reactions: 3 users
I also feel sure that they would want to take a first round pick to the draft, but Freo should be told that if they want our best player, the price will include those three picks with payment of some of his salary, over the first three years, going back.

Don't want to see this deal get done in any event, but agree with Easy.
Any deal with another club which includes 9, 10 or 17 should bring an immediate no from us.

It's not that they just would want, they need to use a first round pick to reset the 2 in 4 rule for first round picks. Gives them open trading of future first round picks next year for Warner.

Richmond negotiating with Gold Coast for Rioli is good for us as we can trade in their pick 20 (first round) on trade that to Fremantle - even if it's only something as simple as swapping Richmond pick 21 for GC 20.

Last edited:
Spot on. It's happened forever and will continue to do so.

The fact that all of Shai, Rioli, Graham and Baker want out says more about the last 12 months then anything at all.

Spot on again. It's time to get creative with the numbers, bringing money forward for Hopper and Tatanto is the most obvious play and should be done. In five years if we are paying them 400 in their final year, we have corrected a major wrong as best we can. The only thing with bringing it forward is that it makes it almost impossible to trade them.
But you are vulnerable to them asking to be traded once they come off the inflated salary period

Reactions: 1 user
Let him go. He obviously wants to go. He and his manager are using mealy-mouthed words to try and deflect criticism.
Just want RFC to do the best possible deal for the Club

Reactions: 9 users
Any picks we get if he goes just get so bloody diluted by compo and father/son and academy picks. Their now talking compo of pick 7 for Battle and 10 for Barrass. Ubsimply can't get a fair draft with all this crap. I mean Saints wud have a better hand than us with 6 &7 ...

A kick in the nuts?

Pick 9 will be pick 12. *smile* that. Get us pick 3 or go *smile* yourselves, losers.
I still have faith in the club. But if we get bent over then it’s a totally different outlook for me.

Any picks we get if he goes just get so bloody diluted by compo and father/son and academy picks. Their now talking compo of pick 7 for Battle and 10 for Barrass. Ubsimply can't get a fair draft with all this crap. I mean Saints wud have a better hand than us with 6 &7 ...
Barrass is under contract, no compo just trade of picks.
IMO Battle compo is the AFL’s way of giving Saints a leg up from their perpetual crapness

Reactions: 3 users
Let him go. He obviously wants to go. He and his manager are using mealy-mouthed words to try and deflect criticism.
Just want RFC to do the best possible deal for the Club
He is our best player by a country mile. He is entering his most productive age as a player.
The best possible deal for the club is to say no.

Reactions: 1 users
He is our best player by a country mile. He is entering his most productive age as a player.
It’s an understatement to say this is a huge trade period coming up. Just can not get it wrong.

Can't lose him for pick 12 and 22.
That won't cut it and he is the best player to be involved in a trade since Jizza.
We need a top 6 pick (before stkilda)
And the rest.
Otherwise he knows where locker 29 is

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
can we all spare a moment for Caesar?
The poor fella will be going thru a hard time right about now
I'm sure we can find Caesar some new eye candy to drool over for this summer. Might be a good thing for Caesar as well, get him to widen his focus a little instead of locking in on $hai all the time. Was starting to think he was a little obsessed.

Sure, let’s have our best player trot around in third gear petulantly whinging at the umpire when he manages to reverse our only inside 50 for the quarter as we sink to the bottom again.

Bolton is a wonderful player. But three good 18 year olds in a team with a high ceiling are worth more to US than prime cut Bolton in a low ceiling team.

Just like prime cut Bolton is worth more to a challenger than three first rounders who won’t be ready for their window.

Business 101. Football 101.

Reactions: 5 users
9, 17 and 25 to Richmond = a value of 3,223 points.

Or Richmond receives the Gold Coast pick 20 involved in a Rioli trade (plus another high pick) and that is then passed on to Fremantle with Richmond receiving 9,10 & 17 = 2,977 points. Fremantle still keep the first round pick at 20
Not sure if I'm missing something here, or the math is up the *smile*. But how do picks 9 - 17 - 25 equate to more draft points than picks 9 - 10 - 17 ????? When did pick 25 suddenly become more valuable than pick 10?

Freo's first pick is no earlier than #11 (Ashcroft at #1, Battle yields #4), could easily be #13 (Lombard may go inside #10) but may be as late as #14 (Kako may go top 12). It will not be #9.

(Amended to include Josh Battler.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It's not that they just would want, they need to use a first round pick to reset the 2 in 4 rule for first round picks. Gives them open trading of future first round picks next year for Warner.

Richmond negotiating with Gold Coast for Rioli is good for us as we can trade in their pick 20 (first round) on trade that to Fremantle - even if it's only something as simple as swapping Richmond pick 21 for GC 20.
Take your point. No need to poke a docker unnecessarily. But the picks we will get if we trade Shai will go out 2-3 points with father son's etc and we will also be expected to pay some of his salary.

Any deal which doesn't include their 3 current first rounders should immediately knock out any interest we may have shown.

Take your point. No need to poke a docker unnecessarily. But the picks we will get if we trade Shai will go out 2-3 points with father son's etc and we will also be expected to pay some of his salary.

Any deal which doesn't include their 3 current first rounders should immediately knock out any interest we may have shown.

Fremantle's current 3 x 1st round picks would equal nearly 3,900 points

To put that in perspective the Jason Horne Francis deal netted North Melbourne around 3,800 points in a trade.

Fremantle need to keep a first round pick and Richmond may be able to trade with Gold Coast for their pick 20 (1st round pick).

Lots to play out between now and trade time.

At least going by Justin Longmuir's comments Fremantle are interested -

Fremantle Dockers coach Justin Longmuir says Richmond Tigers star Shai Bolton would make his team better​

Jackson BarrettThe West Australian
Tue, 20 August 2024 9:00PM
Jackson Barrett
Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir says Shai Bolton would make his team better, as the Richmond star prepares to lodge a trade request.
Bolton wants to return home to Western Australia for family reasons and the Dockers are best-positioned to satisfy the Tigers in a trade deal, armed with two first-round picks in this year’s draft

Reports emerged out of Melbourne emerged on Monday the dynamic forward had asked to be traded. These were disputed, but it still appears likely Bolton will tell Richmond he wants to move home if a trade can be sealed.
Longmuir told 7NEWS on Tuesday night he had not met with Bolton personally, but said the 25-year-old would be a boost for his club.

“I haven’t, he’s obviously contracted, so respect that contract and in the end the ball is in his court. I haven’t met him no,” he said.
“Clearly someone of his ability and someone of his experience would help us, and help us become a better team.
“Those things will play out later in the season and like I said before, it’s in Shai’s hands at the moment. We will wait and see.”