Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

can we all spare a moment for Caesar?
The poor fella will be going thru a hard time right about now

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
With Shai having two young children I can't begrudge him and his partner wanting to go back to Wa to be closer to their families.

If a trade deal gets done, which I'm sure it will, I'll thank Shai for the many highlights that he has provided.

Francis Jackson nailed the compensation pick that we got for Ty Vickery (pick 29), so thanks to Frank and Ty too.

Reactions: 10 users
With Shai having two young children I can't begrudge him and his partner wanting to go back to Wa to be closer to their families.

If a trade deal gets done, which I'm sure it will, I'll thank Shai for the many highlights that he has provided.

Francis Jackson nailed the compensation pick that we got for Ty Vickery (pick 29), so thanks to Frank and Ty too.
Hold your horses. It's not over till it's over. He earns a lot of money and has a multi year contract.

Theirs is not a first ever situation. I am sure we could find a great baby sitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hold your horses. It's not over till it's over.

Theirs is not a first ever situation. I am sure we could raise some money to help with the baby sitting.
I don't think money for baby sitting is much of an issue for the Boltons.
You will find that when players are in Shai and his partners personal situation, on nearly all occasions a deal gets done.

I don't think money for baby sitting is much of an issue for the Boltons.
You will find that when players are in Shai and his partners personal situation, on nearly all occasions a deal gets done.
Don't know him personally but my guess is that he has had to put up with a lot. Racism almost certainly at the top of that list. But one of the clubs greatest achievements concerns diversity and culture. Peggy, Brendon, B Houli and others have contributed to what is widely seen as a remarkable improvement. On top of it all Dusty has shown everyone how best to deal with outside pressure.

Shai can make a life in footy work for him wherever he choses. A short time ago he signed up to do just that. He is big enough and strong enough to get it done.

Richmond can dig it's heals in and say no, in addition, could provide more assistance with having and supporting some of shai's and partner's family members to come here to stay 6 mths etc. That may change things. But the winds of change is happening!

Don't know him personally but my guess is that he has had to put up with a lot. Racism almost certainly at the top of that list. But one of the clubs greatest achievements concerns diversity and culture. Peggy, Brendon, B Houli and others have contributed to what is widely seen as a remarkable improvement. On top of it all Dusty has shown everyone how best to deal with outside pressure.

Shai can make a life in footy work for him wherever he choses. A short time ago he signed up to do just that. He is big enough and strong enough to get it done.
Agree with that, I don't think raising "some money to help with the baby sitting" will be a reason Shai stays. Relocating family members might be though.

Reactions: 1 user
If you draft kids from interstate then the expectation that they might want to go home should be expected.

Asking truthfully, how many of you would want to stay given what the immediate future holds at our club?

Reactions: 1 users
Be an interesting job for the bean counters at the Club. Dusty now gone - one $1.4M? Bolton is on $1.1-1.2m pa. Lynch not far away from retiring - on $1m+ per annum. Suddenly we have a lot of cash we have to spend. As in have to, as we are required to pay 95% of salary cap whether we want to or not. It’s a stupid rule. There are plenty of guys in the system spread across the comp who are probably getting overs because of this rule. Why should any club on the bottom of the ladder with a team of spuds (this is a hypothetical) have to pay 95% of the salary bill of a Club that has won 4 flags in a row and is full of superstars? Bizarre.

Reactions: 4 users
If you draft kids from interstate then the expectation that they might want to go home should be expected.

Asking truthfully, how many of you would want to stay given what the immediate future holds at our club?

yeah.

when you only have 12 year at the top level in your body,

spending 3-4 of them getting belted isn't easy.

especially when its middle of your career and you've scaled the mountain.

I dont think an 18yo really cares; they're happy to be getting paid $200k to play footy and see a bright future.

pretty different for $hai.

I get it with family too. NZ is significantly closer to Melbourne than Perth

if we get 2 flags, a heap of breathtaking highlights, and 3 first round picks out of Shai, he would be the best pick 29 in history

Reactions: 10 users
Be an interesting job for the bean counters at the Club. Dusty now gone - one $1.4M? Bolton is on $1.1-1.2m pa. Lynch not far away from retiring - on $1m+ per annum. Suddenly we have a lot of cash we have to spend. As in have to, as we are required to pay 95% of salary cap whether we want to or not. It’s a stupid rule. There are plenty of guys in the system spread across the comp who are probably getting overs because of this rule. Why should any club on the bottom of the ladder with a team of spuds (this is a hypothetical) have to pay 95% of the salary bill of a Club that has won 4 flags in a row and is full of superstars? Bizarre.
just remember that the players want it this way to stop skint clubs having cheap-as lists.
There are plenty of work around options, as long as we do it right (unlike north or gold coast) so nothing to be too worried about

just remember that the players want it this way to stop skint clubs having cheap-as lists.
There are plenty of work around options, as long as we do it right (unlike north or gold coast) so nothing to be too worried about
Exactly. We could move Taranto and Hopper's money forward so they're not a salary cap burden in their later years when we'll hopefully be paying a new set of stars. We can give Noah Balta $3m over the first two years of his next contract so again we pay less at the backend. And so on.

From next year we also might be able to buy picks with salary cap space, which would be awesome timing for a rebuilding team.

Reactions: 8 users

Spot on. It's happened forever and will continue to do so.

The fact that all of Shai, Rioli, Graham and Baker want out says more about the last 12 months then anything at all.

Exactly. We could move Taranto and Hopper's money forward so they're not a salary cap burden in their later years when we'll hopefully be paying a new set of stars. We can give Noah Balta $3m over the first two years of his next contract so again we pay less at the backend. And so on.

From next year we also might be able to buy picks with salary cap space, which would be awesome timing for a rebuilding team.

Spot on again. It's time to get creative with the numbers, bringing money forward for Hopper and Tatanto is the most obvious play and should be done. In five years if we are paying them 400 in their final year, we have corrected a major wrong as best we can. The only thing with bringing it forward is that it makes it almost impossible to trade them.

Reactions: 5 users
The only thing with bringing it forward is that it makes it almost impossible to trade them.
I reckon it almost is anyway. Plus we'll need them for protection and leadership of the kids. Whatever you think of their footy they are quality blokes and leaders.

Reactions: 7 users
Agree with that, I don't think raising "some money to help with the baby sitting" will be a reason Shai stays. Relocating family members might be though.
What if they don’t want to be relocated? They all have family and friends there etc and they just like it there? Plus how many would need to be moved?

Perhaps a couple would move if the club dug its heels in and said no to a trade, but it is very hard to imagine a happy player and his partner as a consequence.

Reactions: 2 users
Negotiation through media. This is how it reads IMO-

Baker is not in the Freo deal. Shai is only in the Freo deal.

Freo currently holds Picks #10, #11 and #20 based on Twomey's August board.

We will want #10 and #11, not that we'll get a Shai with either of those. Freo is baulking and now Shai's manager is coming out and saying that Shai is open to staying. Because Ralph Whatsisname knows RFC won't let him go for the junk Freo is offering.

So negotiations continue through the media.

RFC is all over this. Shai is good to go. This is, as Carter foreshadowed, the path RFC has chosen for rebuild.

Last edited:

Said it before. This is what worries me about WA players especially indigenous as they are strong in being near home + too cold in Melbourne.