Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

What if they don’t want to be relocated? They all have family and friends there etc and they just like it there? Plus how many would need to be moved?

Perhaps a couple would move if the club dug its heels in and said no to a trade, but it is very hard to imagine a happy player and his partner as a consequence.
Didnt Tim Kelly stay an extra year when the Geelol refused to trade him?
There is history not to trade.

Reactions: 4 users
Said it before. This is what worries me about WA players especially indigenous as they are strong in being near home + too cold in Melbourne.

Interesting that rumours (Sam Edmund) are around that Port, Adelaide and Fremantle have enquired about Kysaiah Pickett.

He also just had a child and signed a deal last year. Comes from SA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As we know from other clubs, clubs from interstate keep tabs on most players from their states playing in other states. There is no doubt that Freo would have asked the question of Shai on numerous occasions. I reckon whats happened, is his manager has gone back to Freo and said, well in the past he hasn't wanted to go, but is open to the change of moving to WA this year, what are your thoughts. They seem to be trying to balance trying to get Warner across (which won't happen this year - he's out of contract next year and I reckon Sydney will back themselves in to try and convince him to stay).

But Freo will want to keep their options open.

I hazard a guess they've asked if 9 and 17 will be enough and we've most likely said no. I still think they will try and keep their options open for Warner next year, and ultimately if a plater like Bolton becomes available and essentially falls into your lap, you don't let them fall out of your lap, you get it done.

It might not be a quick trade, but I still reckon we will get 9 and 10 and probably 25 and then give them something back next year and maybe something this year, players may also be thrown in, within the right age group are probably their draftees from last year that I know a few on here were keen on in Cooper Simpson and Ollie Murphy. Any thoughts from some on here around Treacy or Young will be fantasies. Freo are trying to add to their core, not take part of it away. If players are involved, I reckon we will give them a pick or so this year to cover them off.

I think Freo will (relatively quickly in trade period) trade 17 into 2025, probably with Brisbane, as I think they will want to remove that from negotiations with us, as they will want to be going into the draft next year with at least 2 1sts, and a 1st in the following year that could be traded. I reckon they easily have the capacity to trade for both Bolton and Warner, and would be dumb for not following through with both.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t understand why some people are crying about Bolton potentially going.

This is a blessing.

He is a turbo kit when our engine needs a rebuild.

Trading him would provide the draft capital that we urgently need to expedite the rebuild of the list at the absolutely right time.

This is like getting to buy home insurance after the home has already started burning.

We don’t have the midfield required to service him properly and best make use of his talents.
Yeah it’s like some on here want us anchored to the bottom four for a decade

Miss the Michael Pickering days perhaps

Interesting that rumours (Sam Edmund) are around that Port, Adelaide and Fremantle have enquired about Kysaiah Pickett.

He also just had a child and signed a deal last year. Comes from WA.

Thats an interesting one. If you were Adelaide, could they do that deal, along with getting Lukosius AND keep pick 4 for Draper? Might need to trade a player or so out, but geez that forward line would be top class. Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Lukosius, Rankine, Pickett and Rachele? Probably the latter 3 would all get runs through the middle too.

Thats an interesting one. If you were Adelaide, could they do that deal, along with getting Lukosius AND keep pick 4 for Draper? Might need to trade a player or so out, but geez that forward line would be top class. Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Lukosius, Rankine, Pickett and Rachele? Probably the latter 3 would all get runs through the middle too.

He is actually from SA (WA was a typo).

Would be a pretty good fit for Fremantle too. Wonder what his trade value would be like v Bolton. Bolton is the better player.

He is actually from SA (WA was a typo).

Would be a pretty good fit for Fremantle too. Wonder what his trade value would be like v Bolton. Bolton is the better player.

Bit of both, grew up in WA, but moved to boarding school in SA where he played all his junior footy.

Bit of both, grew up in WA, but moved to boarding school in SA where he played all his junior footy.

Yes, I think he was born in SA and moved to WA when he was very young and then back to SA. Might have lived with Byron at one stage. So would have family in both states.

I don’t understand why some people are crying about Bolton potentially going.

This is a blessing.

He is a turbo kit when our engine needs a rebuild.

Trading him would provide the draft capital that we urgently need to expedite the rebuild of the list at the absolutely right time.

This is like getting to buy home insurance after the home has already started burning.

We don’t have the midfield required to service him properly and best make use of his talents.
Its certainly going to hurt us in the short term. However rebuilds need one thing - heaps of early picks, you can't rebuild using picks in the 30's.

Dan, Shai and Bakes will net us these early picks.

Reactions: 4 users
Didnt Tim Kelly stay an extra year when the Geelol refused to trade him?
There is history not to trade.
Squeezing in an extra season is not much to hang your hat on. If he wants to go home it’s highly likely that he’ll revisit the issue again next year.

The difference is Fremantle won’t have the trade collateral they have now and will be all into Warner.

It’s now or never if we want the best possible trade return for Bolton.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Freo will (relatively quickly in trade period) trade 17 into 2025, probably with Brisbane, as I think they will want to remove that from negotiations with us,

thats pretty easy to counter.

say to freo, relatively quickly,

"you can't afford shai now"

they be mental not to pay the price: which is essentially Lachy Shultz, 9 and 17.

were are talking about a 25yo Shai Bolton.

Some are saying 3 picks is too much for him.

You watch him light up for Freo if/when he gets there. They'd be mad not to get it done.

thats pretty easy to counter.

say to freo, relatively quickly,

"you can't afford shai now"

they be mental not to pay the price: which is essentially Lachy Shultz, 9 and 17.

were are talking about a 25yo Shai Bolton.

I don't doubt that thats where we will start the negotiations but I don't think thats where it will end up. I reckon 9, 10 and 25 and we potentially give them something back also.

I don't doubt that thats where we will start the negotiations but I don't think thats where it will end up. I reckon 9, 10 and 25 and we potentially give them something back also.

I get that.

And i know how ordinary negotiations work.

But this is far from ordinary; we are selling the farm. We are deciding to enter a deep trough, hoping the exit is sharp.

I think we just set the price of 3 first round picks, they can be spread over two years,

And dont budge.

shai is a freakish talent, with 150 games to come, hes on a long contract and we're not shopping him around.

That means Premium price.

Reactions: 5 users
Some are saying 3 picks is too much for him.

You watch him light up for Freo if/when he gets there. They'd be mad not to get it done.

Given they are entering a premiership window,

And have never won a premiership,

And 40% of the asking price is lachy shultz,

Theyde be utterly mental not to get it done as quick as they can.

Insane.

But if they out smart themselves and *smile* it up,

beauty, we keep $hai.

And Freo probably dont win a flag

Reactions: 6 users

Without trading players which might be likely - For Fremantle to get things done as it stand could see them splitting pick 10 to a team like Sydney just for example purposes - for pick 19 and a future first. Maybe something back to Sydney. Geelong would be possible too.

The advantage of that is that pick 19 counts as a first round pick so Fremantle use that in this draft and it will satisfy the AFL 2 in 4 rule for first round picks. Means they can go after Warner next year without applying for an AFL exemption on first round picks - which could well be rejected. Fremantle would need to be creative. Not sure Sydney would help them but another team might do it

So would leave Fremantle with 9, 17, 19, 25 plus a future first as an example.

Means they have 2 first round picks next year plus now within the rules to trade 2026 future first + even compromised 2027 draft too.. So 3/4 first round picks available for Warner in 2025.

9, 17 and 25 to Richmond = a value of 3,223 points.

Or Richmond receives the Gold Coast pick 20 involved in a Rioli trade (plus another high pick) and that is then passed on to Fremantle with Richmond receiving 9,10 & 17 = 2,977 points. Fremantle still keep the first round pick at 20.

Obviously could be various scenario's but would think Fremantle will want to take 1 first round pick to the draft this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sunny day, Optus, Serong and Brayshaw feeding him, are you kidding me. Will absolutely tear it up. Show us the mooooonnneeeeey.

A kick in the nuts?

Pick 9 will be pick 12. *smile* that. Get us pick 3 or go *smile* yourselves, losers.

Reactions: 10 users
A kick in the nuts?

Pick 9 will be pick 12. *smile* that. Get us pick 3 or go *smile* yourselves, losers.
Anything past pick 7 for Bolton shouldn't be enough. We will pick a Higgins or Lennon with pick 12.
At least with pick 7 we will get a Jack or Edwards or an Athorn type
4 yrs they pay or he stays.

Given they are entering a premiership window,

And have never won a premiership,

And 40% of the asking price is lachy shultz,

Theyde be utterly mental not to get it done as quick as they can.

Insane.

But if they out smart themselves and *smile* it up,

beauty, we keep $hai.

And Freo probably dont win a flag
Failmantle could pay us what we want, get Shai and still not win a flag, but they may help us rebuild a little quicker and play a part in our next flag.