Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

I love Shai. But I understand the landscape. At least 1 top 5 and 1 top 10 pick thank you.

Reactions: 4 users
The only 3 juniors who developed through the era and became next level players for us Baker, Bolton and Balta. We about to lose 2 of 3.

Disapopinting.
It is in a sense as it was oft said we had a class next gen coming thru , BBB , tbh we do t have a choice we are that low that we need to invest heavily in the next gen and there’s a price to pay

Reactions: 1 user
For those having a go at Shai he is a young guy about to have two little kids and a partner who’s family is in WA. He is a person as well as being a footballer and maybe looking after a young family is harder than they thought. Wouldn’t be the first ones.

He is also 8 year tiger, life member, has gone close to winning a JDM a couple of times, about to be a Michael Roach medal winner, AA and dual premiership player.

I for one won’t be judging him, I reckon he loves RFC but is supporting his family first.

Thank him for his service to the club, cheer him next weekend and then move on.

If I could like this post 10 times I would.

Reactions: 8 users
Are you serious?
Finals against St Kilda & Brisbane immediately spring to mind.
Grand Final in 2020.

Shai has absolutely delivered on the big stage.
That outrageous mark in the pocket right in the middle of the comeback. Never forget it.

Reactions: 4 users
Disappointed that he wants out.
But I don’t believe in keeping players that don’t want to buy in.
Neil Balme has said numerous times, we respect the players wishes nowadays, but the difference this time is said player is contracted.
Blair better have his wits about him, obviously talks have happened in the background for awhile, he met with Freo.
Long game here tigers.
He’ll get home, thanks Shai for your service but we won’t be handing you over for a bag of beans.
Struggling Get Up GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Big talk on WA media on Shai with him sounding out return to WA. Time for Tigers to talk tough to say Dockers want Shai we will swap for Hayden Young or Treacy. Same with Baker. WC want Baker we want Harley. Early draft picks can turn out duds & we have a history of that.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Just shows the immaturity of AFL on player movement. This would be a non issue in NRL or US sports obviously
Add the Premier League to that list. Players are playing this weekend knowing they could be in different colours next week.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah well said he is in the top echelon for sml and medium forwards.

If there is an AA category for fwd/mid then he is probably at the top of the tree.

We talk Shane Edwards up mainly because of his sublime hands and vision. He got AA as a Fwd/Mid.
Shai is something Edwards wasn't. A proficient goal kicker.

For the amount of midfield time he does get his numbers are very good and like you say he is just about the only mid we have who injects pace.
His midfield numbers are just as good as Edwards if not better.

33 goals this year with a game to go and if he had kicked the sitters he missed it would probably be closer 45 than 33. And if the match c

He will romp the goalkicking award in. He nearly won it last year missed out by one goal to jack and the year before he was second to Lynchy with 43 goals.

None of our small medium fwds come close to him he will be sorely missed. Huge loss is correct.

Dont want to lose both Bolton and Rioli unfortunately i think we have to be serious about trading one out.

Personally my views on Half Backs is they are easier to find and it is a much easier position to play.
Our small medium forward crop are lets say okay barely. we cannot replace Bolton but we do have options galore to try across hb.

People say he only plays when it suits him. I say he has quite games because the opposition put a lot of work into him.
As a forward why are we not affording him the same sort of lattitude that we afford a others.
He has quiet games not just because of the opposition putting time into him.

It has been going on since 2022. Shai is expected to play to the weakest midfield (relative to our opponents), we have had since the 1960's. Taranto, Graham, Prestia, Hopper all play with heart but simply are not quick enough to get to the ball when playing against any, that is any of the sides above us.
A further contributing factor is the absence of a key forward. Balta is clearly the best we have available but the coach goes back and forward on a whim.

So no one there to bring the ball to ground.. no mids to get him the ball..
He is our best player by a country mile and yet the match cttee have consistently set him up to fail.

Dan is my favourite. But if it is to be one or the other I'd be keeping Shai. And if the match committee
received an injection of skill that would also help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I don’t understand why some people are crying about Bolton potentially going.

This is a blessing.

He is a turbo kit when our engine needs a rebuild.

Trading him would provide the draft capital that we urgently need to expedite the rebuild of the list at the absolutely right time.

This is like getting to buy home insurance after the home has already started burning.

We don’t have the midfield required to service him properly and best make use of his talents.

Reactions: 9 users