Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Send him home and bleeed them for him.

Id sit him out this week also no point playing him and risking him getting injured,

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
That’s probably the one big knock on Shai. Never really turned it on in a final. Mind you, that was hard with one D. Martin taking all the big moments in finals.
Not that many others are CTT , however I hated Bolton been mentioned in the same breath as Martin .

Not saying I agree , however I can understand opposition supporters saying his the most overrated player in the league , anyway let’s get some gun cubs with the picks we receive for him , enjoy the cap space with some front ended contracts ( not sure for who 😉) and move on

Regardless of what you think of him he will be a huge loss. Despite playing for the worst team in the league where an inside 50 is a novelty more than a game plan, and despite playing a reasonable amount of midfield time, he sits 8th on the goal kicking list of players 190cm or shorter, only a goal from being 6th. Often when he is playing midfield, things happen, not because he's a gun midfielder but because he has that pace we sorely lack.

Simply he's not easily replaceable, he's contracted and we need to receive fair to overstated compensation or no deal.

One issue I see is if he does go, and say Rioli went, what happens with our salary cap? Do we pay overs to players for new contracts to get over the minimum payment required or do we trade for a gun young player?
Yeah well said he is in the top echelon for sml and medium forwards.

If there is an AA category for fwd/mid then he is probably at the top of the tree.

We talk Shane Edwards up mainly because of his sublime hands and vision. He got AA as a Fwd/Mid.
Shai is something Edwards wasn't. A proficient goal kicker.

For the amount of midfield time he does get, his numbers are very good. Like you say he is just about the only mid we have who injects pace.
His midfield numbers are just as good as Edwards if not better.

33 goals this year with a game to go, if he had kicked the sitters he missed it would probably be closer to 45 than 33.

He will romp the goalkicking award in. He nearly won it last year, missed out by one goal to jack and the year before he was second to Lynchy with 43 goals.

None of our small medium fwds come close to him. He will be sorely missed. Huge loss is correct.

Dont want to lose both Bolton and Rioli. Unfortunately i think we have to be serious about trading one out.

Personally my views on Half Backs is they are easier to find and it is a much easier position to play.
Our small medium forward crop are lets say okay barely. We cannot replace Bolton but we do have options galore to try across hb.

People say he only plays when it suits him. I say he has quite games because the opposition put a lot of work into him.
As a forward why are we not affording him the same sort of lattitude that we afford others.

Last edited:
elite at getting out of trouble
The way I see it, this year he's been getting himself into more trouble than not. Instead of instinctly moving the ball on, he appears to my eyes, look at
doing the impossible. That to me says, he may not be doing the team things. I say get what we can for him, and move on.

Club is really struggling isn't it.

It doesn't take much for that to change though...some really tough meetings need to be had in the next few weeks.

There are a few unhappy players.

Would we consider a player swap? I’d be happy for trade to include Treacy. You’ve got to sacrifice quality to get quality, but I doubt not too many players would want to come to us at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
Robbo reckons Bolton's not worth 2 1st rounders.
Are they serious??
If we get any resistance from Bell, tell him to F off.

Reactions: 8 users
Hopefully they get a deal done, he’s been upfront and honest with the club and given us plenty of time to prepare.

He’s given us great service and helped us win back to back Premierships.

Thank you Shai and all the best.

Reactions: 10 users
That’s probably the one big knock on Shai. Never really turned it on in a final. Mind you, that was hard with one D. Martin taking all the big moments in finals.
Are you serious?
Finals against St Kilda & Brisbane immediately spring to mind.
Grand Final in 2020.

Shai has absolutely delivered on the big stage.

Reactions: 9 users
Are you serious?
Finals against St Kilda & Brisbane immediately spring to mind.
Grand Final in 2020.

Shai has absolutely delivered on the big stage.
He certainly has, this year unfortunately has been great for him. We can forget easily how good he was & still shows glimpses of this

Reactions: 1 user
2020 he was great

In that year he played midfield for weeks when we had injuries and titch was back in Melbourne and was awesome

Reactions: 1 users
The only 3 juniors who developed through the era and became next level players for us Baker, Bolton and Balta. We about to lose 2 of 3.

Disapopinting.