Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Just shows the immaturity of AFL on player movement. This would be a non issue in NRL or US sports obviously

Reactions: 5 users
we are by far the worst offensive team in the comp and hes still managed to kick 33 goals which is not a bad return.

only other player on our list to kick 33+ in a season is lynch and he cant get on the park. we are cooked next year.
We were cooked this year anyway with him doing what he does. Not a leader. Hasn’t reached his potential.
Freo will be happy with him, but they are a much better team than us.

Reactions: 1 user
Jon Ralph is correct.

The manager says he hasn’t requested a trade then basically says he has requested a trade…

“Shai Bolton has not requested a trade. We have had some ongoing discussions with Richmond throughout the season where he has indicated that he would be open to the idea of returning home to Perth if a suitable deal can be struck that benefits all parties involved.

That’s pretty much requesting a trade to me.
Doesn't read that way to me. Reads that he's leaving it up to the Tigers.

Reactions: 3 users
Regardless of what you think of him he will be a huge loss. Despite playing for the worst team in the league where an inside 50 is a novelty more than a game plan, and despite playing a reasonable amount of midfield time, he sits 8th on the goal kicking list of players 190cm or shorter, only a goal from being 6th. Often when he is playing midfield, things happen, not because he's a gun midfielder but because he has that pace we sorely lack.

Simply he's not easily replaceable, he's contracted and we need to receive fair to overstated compensation or no deal.

One issue I see is if he does go, and say Rioli went, what happens with our salary cap? Do we pay overs to players for new contracts to get over the minimum payment required or do we trade for a gun young player?
In all likelihood we’d still be paying a lot of Shai’s and Rioli’s contract to try and get better value in terms of picks. That would still count to our TPP.

Reactions: 1 users
In all likelihood we’d still be paying a lot of Shai’s and Rioli’s contract to try and get better value in terms of picks. That would still count to our TPP.
Sounds reasonable since we have the space and as long as we're not doing that just to get to fair value compensation.

Regardless of what you think of him he will be a huge loss. Despite playing for the worst team in the league where an inside 50 is a novelty more than a game plan, and despite playing a reasonable amount of midfield time, he sits 8th on the goal kicking list of players 190cm or shorter, only a goal from being 6th. Often when he is playing midfield, things happen, not because he's a gun midfielder but because he has that pace we sorely lack.

Simply he's not easily replaceable, he's contracted and we need to receive fair to overstated compensation or no deal.

One issue I see is if he does go, and say Rioli went, what happens with our salary cap? Do we pay overs to players for new contracts to get over the minimum payment required or do we trade for a gun young player?
Bravo great post!

Reactions: 3 users
He is on massive coin, rumoured to be around 1.2 million a year. The trade return will have to depend on how much of his contract we will pay. I would think it would be be hard for the Dockers to fit that into their cap.

We will miss him. Undoubtedly our most talented player now Duz has gone.

I see a good player in a crap side, or a very very good player in a very good team, will he be past it by the time we are a very good team? Yes = get a good trade for him. No = keep at all costs.

I doubt we pay anything towards their contracts, that usually happens when a club signs a player to a massive contract then wants to get rid of them, ie. Collingwood with Grundy and Treloar.

Firstly I’m not unhappy he’s leaving and in his defence I think our ladder position has zero to do with him going home , I think the kid simply values family more than footy .

I’m not sure what he’s actual stats are but to kick as many goals and find as much footy as he has speaks volumes of the rare talent he is , I have not seen a more agile player , elite of the elite at getting out of trouble and his ball handling skills are up there with the great Midfielders like Voss. On the other side he’s the most overrated kick of a footy I’ve seen , no his not horrendous, however his talked up like his Leon Cameron , that he ain’t and his set shot kicking is woeful , lazy and too cool .

Not many tigers can claim to have shown us as many highlights , however the champs that one us flags played non negotiable football, Bolton can not be relied on for that so it makes his moving on a lot easier for me.

Next time we pay a millio ln bucks for a player let’s make sure they are a million dollar player.

Time is right , let’s cash in Tiges .

Reactions: 5 users
We'll be ok. Hawthorn won 2 flags after Buddy left.. The Lions went into a GF after Mitch Robinson finished up

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I doubt we pay anything towards their contracts, that usually happens when a club signs a player to a massive contract then wants to get rid of them, ie. Collingwood with Grundy and Treloar.
We have the cap space to burn with almost all the guns gone/going barring major Tom. Different circumstances obviously

Its a simple conversation give us your 3 first rd picks we aint budging take it or leave it. Guarantee they take it hes icing on there cake and they know the need him

Firstly I’m not unhappy he’s leaving and in his defence I think our ladder position has zero to do with him going home , I think the kid simply values family more than footy .

I’m not sure what he’s actual stats are but to kick as many goals and find as much footy as he has speaks volumes of the rare talent he is , I have not seen a more agile player , elite of the elite at getting out of trouble and his ball handling skills are up there with the great Midfielders like Voss. On the other side he’s the most overrated kick of a footy I’ve seen , no his not horrendous, however his talked up like his Leon Cameron , that he ain’t and his set shot kicking is woeful , lazy and too cool .

Not many tigers can claim to have shown us as many highlights , however the champs that one us flags played non negotiable football, Bolton can not be relied on for that so it makes his moving on a lot easier for me.

Next time we pay a millio ln bucks for a player let’s make sure they are a million dollar player.

Time is right , let’s cash in Tiges .
That’s probably the one big knock on Shai. Never really turned it on in a final. Mind you, that was hard with one D. Martin taking all the big moments in finals.

• Wow
Doesn't read that way to me. Reads that he's leaving it up to the Tigers.
I read it that he supports our negotiation position in that he u understand if the deal isn’t appropriate for a 1mn player he’ll stay , that’s good for us ,,,I’m certain it’ll get done for 9/10 it’s good for freo too

Reactions: 1 users