Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Josh Jenkins on Sen has sorted it for us.

Trade off Bolton, Rioli, Baker, Graham for a return of:

Pick 3, 6, 8 and 13.

I've seen a lot of similar (some that lump in the picks we already have to make it seem more palatable).

It looks very exciting.

The risk on this is extraordinary.

I thought I'd check the return on this over a 4-7 year period.

2016 draft, those picks get you:

Hugh Mccluggage, Petrevski-seton, Griffen Logue, Daniel Venables.

2017 draft they get you:

Paddy Dow, Jaidyn Stephenson, Nick Coffield, Jared Brander.

Ew.

2018 they get you:

Izak Rankine, Ben King, Tarryn Thomas and Isaac Quaynor.

2019 draft they get you :
Luke Jackson, fisher mccasey, Caleb serong, will Day.

The psychology of draft picks is interesting.
2019 youd take in a heartbeat, no?

Reactions: 2 users
Impossible to believe that West Coast would do a straight trade of pick 3 for Baker. Possibly pick 9 (Barrass to Hawthorn) and Richmond return a later pick. Or 2nd round and a future 2nd round.

Graham is a FA so Richmond get compensation of hopefully band 3 (pick 22).

Pick 8 and 13 is unders for a contracted Bolton. In 2022 Fremantle paid 2 x 1st round and a 2nd round for uncontracted Luke Jackson and a couple of late picks. Would think Richmond would likely ask for pick 16 as well and maybe settle for 25. Freo have the picks and make them pay if he is to go. Plenty of options for Richmond - the Fremantle option is to give the picks that Richmond want.

Gold Coast - They have said that they are looking to trade all 3 picks (6, 12, 20) and take Lombard. If Rioli asks for trade Richmond would be in the box seat to negotiate with them for all picks. Richmond has plenty of late picks . Could easily flip Gold Coast pick 20 + later Richmond picks in this draft for a future first from a finals team looking to get in to the 2024 draft and trade that to Gold Coast + add pick 33 for the points they need for Lombard. Receive 6 & 12.

A chance for picks 1, 6, 8, 9 (or 23 and future 2nd), 12, 13 , 16 (or 25), 21, 22 + later picks. Could be worth over 11,000 in points.

9 picks in the Top 25. Picks can then be used, split and/or on-traded to future picks or quality players. And then again in the 2025 draft into 2026 draft.

Will have plenty of Salary Cap space going forward. Bring in FA's or trade for quality contracted players going forward. Basically a chance rebuilt the team if done correctly.

Trading 2 years of picks come in next year so also could be some absolute bargain 1st round draft picks for the compromised 2027 draft with Teams dumping them cheaply. Worth being prepared for that too.
Be good to know who's falling off the cliff next year that would love a pick in the top 30 this year.
Cats have 14/34.
Dees -7/38
Pies have 29.
Think those 3 can drop off next year.
Offer up first of our 2nd rnds for a F1.

Reactions: 1 user
Be good to know who's falling off the cliff next year that would love a pick in the top 30 this year.
Cats have 14/34.
Dees -7/38
Pies have 29.
Think those 3 can drop off next year.
Offer up first of our 2nd rnds for a F1.

I think we'll hold the 1st pick of the 2nd round until the draft. We'll field plenty of offers, with the draft being so deep and everyone has a different mix of where each kid fits into the draft, its logical to think some players will slide, and teams that really want that player will make some very enticing offers.

For example, these offers have happened in previous years.

2023 GWS trade for Pick 17 and give up Pick 18 and a F2 (tied to Adelaide)
2023 Essendon traded for Pick 10 for 11 and 31
2022 Hawks traded for Pick 18 and gave up 27, F2 (Hawks) and a F3 (Hawks)
2021 Port traded for Pick 12 and gave up 14 and a F2

With the draft being so even, I reckon if we had a group of those early 20's picks, we will look to trade them for future value at the draft, will probably get better value at the draft IMO. Could be similar to what we did with the McAuliffe pick last year, essentially dropped back 5 spots and gained 2 additional 3rd round picks.

I think we'll hold the 1st pick of the 2nd round until the draft. We'll field plenty of offers, with the draft being so deep and everyone has a different mix of where each kid fits into the draft, its logical to think some players will slide, and teams that really want that player will make some very enticing offers.

For example, these offers have happened in previous years.

2023 GWS trade for Pick 17 and give up Pick 18 and a F2 (tied to Adelaide)
2023 Essendon traded for Pick 10 for 11 and 31
2022 Hawks traded for Pick 18 and gave up 27, F2 (Hawks) and a F3 (Hawks)
2021 Port traded for Pick 12 and gave up 14 and a F2

With the draft being so even, I reckon if we had a group of those early 20's picks, we will look to trade them for future value at the draft, will probably get better value at the draft IMO. Could be similar to what we did with the McAuliffe pick last year, essentially dropped back 5 spots and gained 2 additional 3rd round picks.

Could see Trade weeks and Draft nights being pretty interesting for Richmond fans.

If ever there has been a time to flop in the season, go for a rebuild and have players asking for trades then this is the year, especially with the bevy of picks we already have.

Reactions: 1 users
The total sum of those years suggests it's still a complete crap shoot.
Only have to look at our 2021 draft to see that.
Nothing guaranteed. we have to keep going to the well until we build a team that can take us to the next Flag.

2019 youd take in a heartbeat, no?
More proof that high draft picks can often be overrated. Take 2016. Save for Taranto, McCLuggage and Ainsworth, the top 10 is highly underwhelming, and it's possible that as many as three of those ten players will no longer be on an AFL list in 2025. The real gold in that draft came after this - including our very own Shai.

Hopefully we can nab some gems both this year and in the coming seasons, rather than investing all our hopes in 2024 first rounders.

I just don't understand talk of trading out all our best mid 20s players for a lottery.

Like what if these highly fancied juniors are Ben Lennon, Corey Ellis & Coleman-Jones?

Where does that leave the club?

We're losing a lot of top end talent anyway with retirements soon enough. We're going to need some balance.

Reactions: 5 users
An original pick 3 valued at what 2200 points. Best ruck/fwd in the game. at just age 21 a premiership player and rising star nominee in just two seasons.
He projected forward as one of the best talls in the comp Fremantle paid what was a fairish price imo. What Melbourne would not give to still have him atm.
Did they have to pay that for an out of contract player? maybe not but most clubs dont screw each other over anymore.

They went at Jackson because of talent and list needs. Treacy was a rookie pick and only arrived the year before as an 18yr old.They did did not know what they had or how quickly he would develop. They took Amiss at pick 8 the year before and they traded for Jackson the following year. In two years they fixed the hardest thing to fix in footy finding good key forwards you tend to pay overs for them.

What am i going to give up for an all be it quality small, given on my list i currently have as many as 8 sml/medium forwards at various stages of development.? Yes thats what they have. Am i going to trade out of what has been described as a very good even draft up to the point where i have very good picks.

The one thing that does stick in the back of my mind is the age of Walters.

yes Shai would be great to have but im not selling the farm to get a small forward no matter how good he is or how good i think he is. Reckon Collingwood have learnt that lesson.
For me its simple do i sell the farm for a cream on top type or do i keep my draft hand which by the way is a super strong one in a very good draft.
Obviously if in their position im hanging onto most of my picks thats how much i like this draft, others well tiger supporters will see it differently.
They know its a good draft and want the club to find ways to get into it.

I just don't understand talk of trading out all our best mid 20s players for a lottery.

Like what if these highly fancied juniors are Ben Lennon, Corey Ellis & Coleman-Jones?

We're losing a lot of top end talent anyway with retirements soon enough. We're going to need some balance.
We are talking about trading out just one player, Dan Rioli, well i am anyway.
Baker is uncontracted and if he wants to go will go, Smart money is on him going. The smart thing is to accomodate him as best we can and ensure we get some good compensation.
Graham is also in the Baker boat If he wants out he will go. As with Baker the smart thing is to do what? You guessed it.

We are dictated to in many ways with the advent of Tasmania if want access to quality kids.. We really need access to the next two drafts or suffer the consequences.

I dont get the angst neither Liam or Daniel are likely to be there by the time we draft good kids address all the list needs and then get enough of them close to 100 games.
It is highly likely we will lose more players wanting out as we spend a period near the bottom.

An original pick 3 valued at what 2200 points. Best ruck/fwd in the game. at just age 21 a premiership player and rising star nominee in just two seasons.
He projected forward as one of the best talls in the comp Fremantle paid what was a fairish price imo. What Melbourne would not give to still have him atm.
Did they have to pay that for an out of contract player? maybe not but most clubs dont screw each other over anymore.

They went at Jackson because of talent and list needs. Treacy was a rookie pick and only arrived the year before as an 18yr old.They did did not know what they had or how quickly he would develop. They took Amiss at pick 8 the year before and they traded for Jackson the following year. In two years they fixed the hardest thing to fix in footy finding good key forwards you tend to pay overs for them.

What am i going to give up for an all be it quality small, given on my list i currently have as many as 8 sml/medium forwards at various stages of development.? Yes thats what they have. Am i going to trade out of what has been described as a very good even draft up to the point where i have very good picks.

The one thing that does stick in the back of my mind is the age of Walters.

yes Shai would be great to have but im not selling the farm to get a small forward no matter how good he is or how good i think he is. Reckon Collingwood have learnt that lesson.
For me its simple do i sell the farm for a cream on top type or do i keep my draft hand which by the way is a super strong one in a very good draft.
Obviously if in their position im hanging onto most of my picks thats how much i like this draft, others well tiger supporters will see it differently.
They know its a good draft and want the club to find ways to get into it.

So who are these small / medium forwards that they can work with?

Their list is prime for a hit at a Premiership but has a very obvious weakness, and thats in the forward half. Freos scores for are ranked 8th in the AFL, just 20 more points scored than Collingwood, who have had all ranges of issues with their forwards this year. They average 87 per game, the last 2 premiers were 93 and 97. Against the top 8 Freo have a W/L ratio of 3/4 this year so less than 50% with a % of just 87%. Points for against the top 8 are only 76, which is only a goal and a half more than we have kicked and we've been schizen this year.

They have 2 good talls as you say in Treacy and Amiss, with Sturt doing well as the mid size (1.7 goals per game), but where are the smalls? Against Essendon, they played Banfield, Fredericks and Emmett as their smalls I think . The 1st 2 average about a goal a game, and Emmett about half a goal a game. Thats your issue right there.

They have a core of players in the right age group, Young, Serong, Clark, Frederick, Sturt, Brayshaw, Cox, Darcy, Banfield and Switkowski are all aged between 23-27 which are the group that should be doing the heavy lifting in pushing forward for a premiership.

Sure they could take 4 picks in the top 25 to the draft if they like, but these guys will likely take several years to develop and really start impacting, so some of those older guys would be getting closer to 30 by then, the likes of Walters, Fyfe, JOM, Pearce, Aish and Ryan could be finished by then (Pearce and Ryan are important in this scenario). IMO they need to strike whilst the iron is hot. Their defence is their 1 wood at the moment, leave it 3 years to get these kids up to the speed and intensity of the AFL, and Pearce is probably done at 32, Ryan would be 31 and suddenly their strength isn't their strength anymore.

Their prime premiership winning odds, are probably 2025-2029, you'd want them to burn that time so that they can keep drafting when you have an outstanding player available to you?

There is a time to focus on the draft and there is also a prime time to top up with mature age talent. I look back at us in 2016, had we not removed ourselves from the upper parts of the draft and signed up Prestia, Caddy and Nank, then we probably don't win any of those premierships. Getting your premiership list right and time it right, is difficult to get right and very easy to *smile* up.

I don't want to lose Bolton, but if I'm Freo, I'm throwing everything I have at him.

Reactions: 8 users

ToO here is where this argument falls down and will continue to fall down

let's say we just trade Baker, satisfying yours and others needs for a semblance of "balance" to give us picks 1, 16 and 21

insert your comment now

and we end up in a much worse position. a lottery in your words, right?

yes, we still have Bolton and Rioli, but we are still a bottom side with Lennon, Corey-Ellis and Coleman-Jones to show for it

the argument is deeply flawed and such conservatism would actually set us back further into the wilderness than going for a major haul

let's trust in the recruiters - they won't get all our projected picks (if the trades go through) wrong

with the added (and not insignificant) benefit of a group coming through at the same time

Reactions: 2 users
So who are these small / medium forwards that they can work with?

Their list is prime for a hit at a Premiership but has a very obvious weakness, and thats in the forward half. Freos scores for are ranked 8th in the AFL, just 20 more points scored than Collingwood, who have had all ranges of issues with their forwards this year. They average 87 per game, the last 2 premiers were 93 and 97. Against the top 8 Freo have a W/L ratio of 3/4 this year so less than 50% with a % of just 87%. Points for against the top 8 are only 76, which is only a goal and a half more than we have kicked and we've been schizen this year.

They have 2 good talls as you say in Treacy and Amiss, with Sturt doing well as the mid size (1.7 goals per game), but where are the smalls? Against Essendon, they played Banfield, Fredericks and Emmett as their smalls I think . The 1st 2 average about a goal a game, and Emmett about half a goal a game. Thats your issue right there.

They have a core of players in the right age group, Young, Serong, Clark, Frederick, Sturt, Brayshaw, Cox, Darcy, Banfield and Switkowski are all aged between 23-27 which are the group that should be doing the heavy lifting in pushing forward for a premiership.

Sure they could take 4 picks in the top 25 to the draft if they like, but these guys will likely take several years to develop and really start impacting, so some of those older guys would be getting closer to 30 by then, the likes of Walters, Fyfe, JOM, Pearce, Aish and Ryan could be finished by then (Pearce and Ryan are important in this scenario). IMO they need to strike whilst the iron is hot. Their defence is their 1 wood at the moment, leave it 3 years to get these kids up to the speed and intensity of the AFL, and Pearce is probably done at 32, Ryan would be 31 and suddenly their strength isn't their strength anymore.

Their prime premiership winning odds, are probably 2025-2029, you'd want them to burn that time so that they can keep drafting when you have an outstanding player available to you?

There is a time to focus on the draft and there is also a prime time to top up with mature age talent. I look back at us in 2016, had we not removed ourselves from the upper parts of the draft and signed up Prestia, Caddy and Nank, then we probably don't win any of those premierships. Getting your premiership list right and time it right, is difficult to get right and very easy to *smile* up.

I don't want to lose Bolton, but if I'm Freo, I'm throwing everything I have at him.

freo are about to bend over and we can smell them

and for those who are still holding out hope that the prince and shai might not be traded, the club are modern day masters of media messaging.

they're both done. sailed.

freo and god coast will need to cough up at *least* market worth, potentially overs, and the deals will be done.

A benefit of accumulating a large number of early picks that hasn’t been discussed is the game GWS and GCS continually play in trading them for future picks. Also accumulating’best available’ mids and trading them out as required to always have several early picks. It’s a dirty game but it may enable us to get on that bandwagon for the next few years while we build a list.

But what if we pick the next Cotch, Jaaack n Presty in the draft? We're in a massive transition period with our list, we could hang on to some bloody good players n try to hover around mid table for a year or three, going nowhere satisfying nor anyone. Or we could bite the bullet n attack what's deemed to be a very deep and talented draft flat out, pick the eyes out of it with half a dozen top 20ish picks. Attack next years draft as well and accept the fact that there's going to be a dead cat bounce after our 3 premierships, hope the recruiters do a premium job over these couple of drafts n be back hunting and contending again in say 5 years time.
Footy clubs are all about selling hope to the duffle coated numpties, one method sells some mediocrity while the players continue to get older n fade away. The other tightens the arse clench factor while offering another view of future potential glory.
I'm getting way to old to shuffle along the path of fading mediocrity, I'd much rather go out swinging n cheering while hanging over footy's cliffs edge.

But what if we pick the next Cotch, Jaaack n Presty in the draft? We're in a massive transition period with our list, we could hang on to some bloody good players n try to hover around mid table for a year or three, going nowhere n not satisfying anyone. Or we could bite the bullet n attack what's deemed to be a very deep and talented draft flat out, pick the eyes out of it with half a dozen top 20ish picks. Attack next years draft as well and accept the fact that there's going to be a dead cat bounce after our 3 premierships, hope the recruiters do a premium job over these couple of drafts n be back hunting and contending again in say 5 years time.
Footy clubs are all about selling hope to the duffle coated numpties, one method sells some mediocrity while the players continue to get older n fade away. The other tightens the arse clench factor while offering another view of future potential glory.
I'm getting way to old to shuffle along the path of fading mediocrity, I'd much rather go out swinging n cheering while hanging over footy's cliffs edge.

*smile*. I somehow double posted when I was simply trying to edit a couple of words. Oops

Is Shai actually wanting to go ?

Does Daniel actually want to go?

Or is it just the same easy click bait jornalism to generate revenue.

Broad going to North ..............righto .........Was never going.

Dustin to GCS Bookmark it. Dusty retires.

I'll give them Baker and Graham they look likely to be gone.

I actually still think Shai and Dan could well still be at Tigerland next year.

Reactions: 3 users