Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Why would Young come to us?
We're at where Freo have been since their GF.
Now their window is open why would he leave?

Reactions: 2 users
We don't need to trade Shai to have a bumper draft hand. We'll get something like 6 and 20 for Daniel, 13 for Bakes and 22 for Graham. And we'll be able to trade for Brisbane's first, say pick 18.

1, 6, 13, 18, 20, 21, 22, with probably a couple of late picks to spare to either trade up to a 30s pick or into next year.

Reactions: 6 users
Not one person has stopped and asked with picks 8,13,16,25 and 61 how well Fremantle could set themselves up long term just by useing their own picks.
Peter Bell has run a tight ship and they are not in the habit in recent times of willy nilly handing out freebies to other clubs.

Deep even draft in the top what 20 or 30. I know what way id go if i was them.

Reactions: 4 users
Not one person has stopped and asked with picks 8,13,16,25 and 61 how well Fremantle could set themselves up long term just by useing their own picks.
Peter Bell has run a tight ship and they are not in the habit in recent times of willy nilly handing out freebies to other clubs.

i think if bakes and bolton go to freo with us paying the bulk of the $$ will at best net us their 2 best firsts so 8 13 highly doubt we get all 3. I will still do this happily.
its dimma i want us to ream for rioli.

In 2022 Fremantle traded for an out of contract Luke Jackson = pick 13, a future 1st which ended up being pick 7, future 2nd round which ended up being pick 36 for Jackson, pick 44 and pick 67.

Deal ended up being valued at 2,600 points for Jackson and he was out of contract

Fremantle 2024 pick 8 & pick 13 is valued at 2,700+ points. So basically they paid that for an out of contract player (Jackson) in 2022

They also have 16 (1067) and 25 (756) .

Fremantle will see themselves in the Premiership window now and have been in the AFL for 30 years without a flag.

Shai Bolton is contracted for 4 years. Whether he is traded or not is another matter but Richmond can also offer Salary Cap space (% salary), late picks or future picks so would expect any Bolton deal would be weighted in Richmonds favour in picks in this years draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Whether we trade out 2 or 5 players , I’d imagine future picks will again be high on our agenda , due to the unknown imho you generally get a bit better value with trading for future picks , hate them at the time though .

We don't need to trade Shai to have a bumper draft hand. We'll get something like 6 and 20 for Daniel, 13 for Bakes and 22 for Graham. And we'll be able to trade for Brisbane's first, say pick 18.

1, 6, 13, 18, 20, 21, 22, with probably a couple of late picks to spare to either trade up to a 30s pick or into next year.
Where's pick 19?
18-19-20-21-22.
5 in a row.

Their window is open now. They need match winners. That’s the final piece of their puzzle.

Reactions: 2 users

- mercurial finisher
- second half of career
- poor on-field leader
- likely to lose mate Rioli
- bottom two side for at least next two years
- home state is WA
- WA team happens to be in flag window with plenty of draft capital
- was happy at Punt Rd a month ago but reports now saying he wants to go home

Nah, you were wrong at the start of the year and you’re getting wronger by the week

Reactions: 1 user
Josh Jenkins on Sen has sorted it for us.

Trade off Bolton, Rioli, Baker, Graham for a return of:

Pick 3, 6, 8 and 13.

I've seen a lot of similar (some that lump in the picks we already have to make it seem more palatable).

It looks very exciting.

The risk on this is extraordinary.

I thought I'd check the return on this over a 4-7 year period.

2016 draft, those picks get you:

Hugh Mccluggage, Petrevski-seton, Griffen Logue, Daniel Venables.

2017 draft they get you:

Paddy Dow, Jaidyn Stephenson, Nick Coffield, Jared Brander.

Ew.

2018 they get you:

Izak Rankine, Ben King, Tarryn Thomas and Isaac Quaynor.

2019 draft they get you :
Luke Jackson, fisher mccasey, Caleb serong, will Day.

The psychology of draft picks is interesting.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

Pick 3, 6, 8 and 13.

I've seen a lot of similar (some that lump in the picks we already have to make it seem more palatable).

It looks very exciting.

2017 draft they get you:

Ew.

2018 they get you:

Birds in the hand / known commodities worth a lot.

Draft is a fair bit of gambling / forecasting IMO. To get a gun outside the top 5 seems pretty low chance though (but not impossible) and you need a few guns to win a flag.

Father-son or Sydney academy the other ways to do it. Daicos, Hawkins, GAJ all of Sydney's list :)

Bont 4
Dusty 3
Pendelbury 5
Curnow 3
Cotchin 2
Judd 3

etc. etc.

Top 6 player between round 1 to 6 this year
The kid is a star.
I reckon we should keep unless we get offered 2 top 10 picks
I want to keep him absolutely the guy is a top 10 star but but are we going to see the same input from him going forward. Lackadaisical. At times looks lazy, undisciplined, hot then cold. Unfortunately I believe he will only show his best consistently in a team with lots of top talent support around him. It is a dilemma with Bolton!

Reactions: 1 users

Pick 3, 6, 8 and 13.

It looks very exciting.

2017 draft they get you:

Ew.

2018 they get you:

Impossible to believe that West Coast would do a straight trade of pick 3 for Baker. Possibly pick 9 (Barrass to Hawthorn) and Richmond return a later pick. Or 2nd round and a future 2nd round.

Graham is a FA so Richmond get compensation of hopefully band 3 (pick 22).

Pick 8 and 13 is unders for a contracted Bolton. In 2022 Fremantle paid 2 x 1st round and a 2nd round for uncontracted Luke Jackson and a couple of late picks. Would think Richmond would likely ask for pick 16 as well and maybe settle for 25. Freo have the picks and make them pay if he is to go. Plenty of options for Richmond - the Fremantle option is to give the picks that Richmond want.

Gold Coast - They have said that they are looking to trade all 3 picks (6, 12, 20) and take Lombard. If Rioli asks for trade Richmond would be in the box seat to negotiate with them for all picks. Richmond has plenty of late picks . Could easily flip Gold Coast pick 20 + later Richmond picks in this draft for a future first from a finals team looking to get in to the 2024 draft and trade that to Gold Coast + add pick 33 for the points they need for Lombard. Receive 6 & 12.

A chance for picks 1, 6, 8, 9 (or 23 and future 2nd), 12, 13 , 16 (or 25), 21, 22 + later picks. Could be worth over 11,000 in points.

9 picks in the Top 25. Picks can then be used, split and/or on-traded to future picks or quality players. And then again in the 2025 draft into 2026 draft.

Will have plenty of Salary Cap space going forward. Bring in FA's or trade for quality contracted players going forward. Basically a chance rebuilt the team if done correctly.

Trading 2 years of picks come in next year so also could be some absolute bargain 1st round draft picks for the compromised 2027 draft with Teams dumping them cheaply. Worth being prepared for that too.

Last edited:
Impossible to believe that West Coast would do a straight trade of pick 3 for Baker. Possibly pick 9 (Barrass to Hawthorn) and Richmond return a later pick. Or 2nd round and a future 2nd round.

Graham is a FA so Richmond get compensation of hopefully band 3 (pick 22).

Pick 8 and 13 is unders for a contracted Bolton. In 2022 Fremantle paid 2 x 1st round and a 2nd round for uncontracted Luke Jackson and a couple of late picks. Would think Richmond would likely ask for pick 16 as well and maybe settle for 25. Freo have the picks and make them pay if he is to go. Plenty of options for Richmond - the Fremantle option is to give the picks that Richmond want.

Gold Coast - They have said that they are looking to trade all 3 picks (6, 12, 20) and take Lombard. If Rioli asks for trade Richmond would be in the box seat to negotiate with them for all picks. Richmond has plenty of late picks . Could easily flip Gold Coast pick 20 + later Richmond picks in this draft for a future first from a finals team looking to get in to the 2024 draft and trade that to Gold Coast + add pick 33 for the points they need for Lombard. Receive 6 & 12.

A chance for picks 1, 6, 8, 9 (or 23 and future 2nd), 12, 13 , 16 (or 25), 21, 22 + later picks. Could be worth over 11,000 in points.

9 picks in the Top 25. Picks can then be used, split and/or on-traded to future picks or quality players. And then again in the 2025 draft into 2026 draft.

Will have plenty of Salary Cap space going forward. Bring in FA's or trade for quality contracted players going forward. Basically a chance rebuilt the team if done correctly.

Trading 2 years of picks come in next year so also could be some absolute bargain 1st round draft picks for the compromised 2027 draft with Teams dumping them cheaply. Worth being prepared for that too.

You are on a similar mindset to me.

Again I'd rather not lose Shai or Daniel but if they ask to leave we need to push a hard bargain.

Baker - Agree, no way 3 is involved for Baker and I also don't think whatever they get for Barass will be involved. I've said for a long time I think they F2 will be 1 of the picks we are after, and probably a 2nd this year also (even allowing for them to help us with a secret herbs and spices for a Graham pick). What will matter is what goes back to them, probably 3rds you'd think/

Rioli - Those 2nds are important for this trade, in that if we do try and push for the 3 picks, then they will certainly be looking for future picks back and obviously our F1 wouldn't be part of any deal, so would come down to 2nds.

Shai - I reckon we push this 1 hard, and push for their 3 1st round picks and then we will rebalance it with later ones.

If we do that, we should still have points to trade up to Brisbane's pick too. Potentially could land us with:

1, 6, 8, 13, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22. How many we want to take will obviously depend on what players we like and list spots, but we'd be in a good position with those 20-22 picks, to trade them into next year on draft night, probably for 1sts if players that clubs like have slid, and with the draft being so even through that area of the draft, those picks will be highly valuable going into draft night.

You are on a similar mindset to me.

Again I'd rather not lose Shai or Daniel but if they ask to leave we need to push a hard bargain.

Baker - Agree, no way 3 is involved for Baker and I also don't think whatever they get for Barass will be involved. I've said for a long time I think they F2 will be 1 of the picks we are after, and probably a 2nd this year also (even allowing for them to help us with a secret herbs and spices for a Graham pick). What will matter is what goes back to them, probably 3rds you'd think/

Rioli - Those 2nds are important for this trade, in that if we do try and push for the 3 picks, then they will certainly be looking for future picks back and obviously our F1 wouldn't be part of any deal, so would come down to 2nds.

Shai - I reckon we push this 1 hard, and push for their 3 1st round picks and then we will rebalance it with later ones.

If we do that, we should still have points to trade up to Brisbane's pick too. Potentially could land us with:

1, 6, 8, 13, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22. How many we want to take will obviously depend on what players we like and list spots, but we'd be in a good position with those 20-22 picks, to trade them into next year on draft night, probably for 1sts if players that clubs like have slid, and with the draft being so even through that area of the draft, those picks will be highly valuable going into draft night.

Yes, don't really want to lose quality players but the team does need a rebuild somewhat to aim for future success.

Fremantle have already shown they will trade 2 x 1st's and a 2nd round for the right player back in 2022.

Need to add pick 12 as well in that. Would make it 10 picks in the Top 25. Seems ridiculous but it is possible. Clocking up around 13,000 points. Obviously will end up different come trade week. A few teams may chase Brisbane's pick.

Basically gives a chance to draft and target the required players for every position needed to regenerate over the next two years (3 drafts 24/25/26).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user