Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

We also can't be like Norf handing over a 2nd rounder for a due like CCJ!

yep - my point was more if we let all our high earners going we will be paying ross, ryan, koschitske, ralphsmith like they are A graders due to the min salary cap rules.

Reactions: 1 users
yep - my point was more if we let all our high earners going we will be paying ross, ryan, koschitske, ralphsmith like they are A graders due to the min salary cap rules.
Just pay them more next year if need be as part of their normal deals, will put our cap in a good spot thereafter when they get paid less.

Top 6 player between round 1 to 6 this year
The kid is a star.
I reckon we should keep unless we get offered 2 top 10 picks

Reactions: 8 users
Agree that we shouldnt but these days here's no need to do so. Many ways to get to the minimum 92.5% TRP or whatever it is, including front ending contracts / bringing forward payments under existing contracts and bearing some or all contract payments for traded players (in effect swapping salary cap for picks and/or players).

Agree that we shouldnt but these days here's no need to do so. Many ways to get to the minimum 92.5% TRP or whatever it is, including front ending contracts / bringing forward payments under existing contracts and bearing some or all contract payments for traded players (in effect swapping salary cap for picks and/or players).
It's 95%. Theres not a lot of wiggle room if you hollow out your list and you have no A grade talent. You then overpay mediocre players and destroy your culture. Who would we frontload and on what after we sell all our A graders. I guess we can pay Taranto 2M/yr.

As you say basically to keep paying players we have traded out so that club can overload on talent and in return for even more draft capital would seem to be the play.

Last edited:
It's 95%. Theres not a lot of wiggle room if you hollow out your list and you have no A grade talent. You then overpay mediocre players and destroy your culture. Who would we frontload and on what after we sell all our A graders. I guess we can pay Taranto 2M/yr.
To some extent. But frontloading isnt necessarily paying overs, it's just the timing of payment.

Shai is contracted until 2028 and he only recently signed that contract. I dont care if he wants to go home which i highly doubt.
He is by the length of the flemington straight our best most constructive small forward and he is a keeper. If honest our only consistent sml/med goal kicker which makes it even more important we hang onto him.

Baker and Rioli while nice to hang onto, due to recent drafting are in some ways superfluous to needs.
Get what we can while we can its a very small window that is open to us.

We are not salary dumping so there would have to be something very attractive to be paying 4 years of wages, I'm not for paying players to help other teams get better
Agree, but as a negotiating tool it helps us get the picks. I wouldn’t be paying all remaining years on the contract. 1 yr, if they want 2 get more.
They are poaching our contracted players. We should demand everything and expect to receive it.

Reactions: 2 users
Like (value) for Like
Young for Bolton or thank you bur we will keep him.
We should be talking to Young and trying to get him on a 7 x 800k deal too

Reactions: 1 user

As you say basically to keep paying players we have traded out so that club can overload on talent and in return for even more draft capital would seem to be the play.
Pretty sure they brought in a system a cuppla years back where you can short pay your cap, or bank the short pay for a year or two so you can then pay a bit of overs to assist with bringing in an expensive trade player or retain players when you reach the finals window?????
Not a 100% sure but think they've still got a marketing component that clubs can access outside the cap when they're maxed out, wouldn't need it with a list of kids, any marketing work would simply be included within the salary cap region.

We are not salary dumping so there would have to be something very attractive to be paying 4 years of wages, I'm not for paying players to help other teams get better
Get use to it.Cap space for Picks is coming.

Reactions: 1 user