Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

As one Neil Balme has stated previously we put the player and their concerns as a priority.
I’d say his reasoning on wanting to go is family.
We will let him go.
But someone will have to
Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV
Yep we won’t be giving him away for less than what he is worth.

Reactions: 1 users
What makes you think he is 100% gone?
What I got told yesterday. Wants to head back to Perth as does his wife. Recently bought a place over there. Nothing earth shattering but the source is close to Bolton.

I saw a suggestion that we may pay part of his wage if he goes to WA on the BF tigercast, why TF would we do that!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I saw a suggestion that we may pay part of his wage if he goes to WA on the BF tigercast, why TF would we do that!!!!
It’s pretty common practice with contracted players. The receiving side will be more likely to give you more for the player if they don’t have to pick up all of the contracted players wage. We did it with Lids.

• Wow
It’s pretty common practice with contracted players. The receiving side will be more likely to give you more for the player if they don’t have to pick up all of the contracted players wage. We did it with Lids.
With Dusty retiring and Dow getting delisted
We should be able to cover the difference

If all the players that are reportedly leaving do leave we will have more TPP than we could possibly spend. Pay some of Bolton and Rioli and get best picks. GC 6 & 12, Freo 8, 13, 16

Reactions: 7 users
If all the players that are reportedly leaving do leave we will have more TPP than we could possibly spend. Pay some of Bolton and Rioli and get best picks. GC 6 & 12, Freo 8, 13, 16
We are not salary dumping so there would have to be something very attractive to be paying 4 years of wages, I'm not for paying players to help other teams get better

Reactions: 4 users

2025 TPP is $17.76 mil. . Need to pay 95% or $16.87 mil.

Expect that RFC would have budgeted say around $4 million for Bolton, Rioli, Baker, Graham + what would have been Martins salary next year.

Would have spare salary cap to entice Gold Coast and/or Fremantle to increase any Rioli or Bolton trade value by paying a % of salary.

Have options of front loading contracts to 2025.. i.e. Balta if they can do an extension as is a FA next year.

Bring a player/s in on a salary dump trade in this years trade window. Or trade for quality contracted player .

If trading salary cap space comes in next year can trade what would be the 2026 cap. space if TPP front loaded in 2025.

Reactions: 3 users
Hang on! if Freo want both Baker and Bolton, we need 4 first rounders , they must either offer next year first rounder or swap their and gets a current first rounder.

Hang on! if Freo want both Baker and Bolton, we need 4 first rounders , they must either offer next year first rounder or swap their and gets a current first rounder.
Baker will be out of contact & atm is playing like a 2nd rd pick, 1 mid to late first round pick would be Bakers worth I reckon.

Bolton even though hasn’t had the best of years is contracted & a match winner on his day.

2 first rounders & 1 has to be top 10 at least for him.

Don't think Fremantle will want to trade out any 2025 picks as they will likely make a play on Warner next year. Most likely they will need picks next year

As it stands they have valuable picks in 8, 13, 16, 25 or around 4,600 worth of points.

Bolton is probably in the range of 3,000-3,500 points as is on a long contract and Baker say 1,000 points (around that pick 16).

Could probably get 8, 13, 16 and 25 (4,600 points) by trading out Baker, Bolton + either % Boltons salary/ or pick 41/ or future 3rd.

Don't think Fremantle will want to trade out any 2025 picks as they will likely make a play on Warner next year. Most likely they will need picks next year

As it stands they have valuable picks in 8, 13, 16, 25 or around 4,600 worth of points.

Bolton is probably in the range of 3,000-3,500 points as is on a long contract and Baker say 1,000 points (around that pick 16).

Could probably get 8, 13, 16 and 25 (4,600 points) by trading out Baker, Bolton + either % Boltons salary/ or pick 41/ or future 3rd.
No way Freo will give away all their top 4 picks. Don't think they'll go for both players. For importance and needs surely they'd prefer Bolton.

No way Freo will give away all their top 4 picks. Don't think they'll go for both players. For importance and needs surely they'd prefer Bolton.

Fremantle would definitely benefit more with Bolton.

If they are interested in both players can do a calculation with the points system.

A contracted Bolton say = at least pick 1 in this years draft = 3,000 points. Would think is worth a bit more. Tim Kelly deal was around 3,200 points value.

Baker = 1,000 points which is pick 16.

Fremantle's pick 8, 13, 16, 25 = 4.600 points.

They need salary cap space and/or a pick in next years draft for a Warner play.

Richmond provide % of salary or a pick in next years draft worth say 400+ points = our future 3rd.
Richmond also has picks from 33 in this years draft that can be traded

Shai has played some of his best footy when Dusty hasn't played.
I'd love to see him take his footy to another level with us in Dustin's absence & assume that responsibility.
Dusty started to explode about Shai's age now around 2016.
Similar story in some ways. A young prodigious talent who lacked a bit of consistency but knuckled down & played his best footy in his late 20s..
Not saying it will happen but it could.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah the boys made out we would “have to” pay some of his wage. If I was Blair my aim would be to get their first 3 Rd 1 picks. If we offer to pay some of Shai’s contract we might be able to leverage it out of them,