MRP 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP 2015

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Justifying it with "one motion" logic. When they nailed Jake King for a sling tackle they conceded it was "one fairly fluid motion". But King gets two weeks anyway.

No consistency, they will say whatever is necessary to justify the desired outcome. As much credibility as James Tird.

also agree

Re: Maric 1 week Cotchin $1000 fine

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Perhaps, but I hope the coach isn't displeased. Maric was getting blocked all day and was protecting his space with a "Don't be doing that, young fella". Performed better after the incident, also.

Thought the umpires did a sh!t job all round and could've nipped it in the bud early.

Totally agree. Awful job. Too noticeable, worst performance in a tigers game this year.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Schulz cleared! I just can't believe it.

Wouldn't want to leave Port without a go-to forward and have their supporters drop off.

Did Mark Evans stick his head in the door to "see what direction things were going" this week?

Cannot follow it. Give up.

Agree again. Almost identical to Gibbs. Farce MRP. Farce. First buddy now this, what message is this sends to the players? More confusion. Morons.

These *smile* on the MRP panel are a joke. We will see new rules/disciplinary measures implemented next year imposed on these types of tackles. It is all part of the evolution of this game where we see the players are becoming stronger and faster.

Re: Maric 1 week Cotchin $1000 fine

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Perhaps, but I hope the coach isn't displeased. Maric was getting blocked all day and was protecting his space with a "Don't be doing that, young fella". Performed better after the incident, also.

Thought the umpires did a sh!t job all round and could've nipped it in the bud early.

I can't remember Ivan being that snakey at the umps, he was pissed off

I reckon Gibbs should have gotten off too. Stupid bloody rule punishing perfect tackles.
Players are taught to pin the arms at training every day. Sometimes an arm gets free, sometimes the tackle is stifledby another player.
So much randomness to any given tackle. Gives me the sh!ts these fly by night rule interpretations due to unfortunate injuries which are part of a contact sport.

No way Gibbs should have got off. We can't condone those sort of tackles. Yes we're taught to pin the arms but we're not taught to then sling the player as a secondary action clearly designed to try and hurt a defenseless opponent.

Can't see many of us standing and acknowledging the perfect tackle as Jack or Cotch are carried off in a neck brace first quarter, first final, for instance. If the head is "sacrosanct" in so many other contexts, why do some think ramming an opponents head into the turf with no protection is a part of the game?

Can't see any difference between Gibbs' and Schulz's tackles. One thing though. Richards, as soon as he was tackled, dropped the ball like a hot potato. Maybe if the whistle had been blown for the free, Schulz may have been more interested in taking his kick, rather than making sure Richards didn't get back into the contest, as his coach no doubt insists.

22nd Man said:
Can't see many of us standing and acknowledging the perfect tackle as Jack or Cotch are carried off in a neck brace first quarter, first final, for instance. If the head is "sacrosanct" in so many other contexts, why do some think ramming an opponents head into the turf with no protection is a part of the game?

The head being 'sacrosanct' annoys the crap out of me. Part of the reason there are so many problems with the game currently.

Thank heavens Bartlett isn't on the rules committee any more and can't keep eroding the physical nature of the sport.

Tigers of Old said:
The head being 'sacrosanct' annoys the crap out of me. Part of the reason there are so many problems with the game currently.

Thank heavens Bartlett isn't on the rules committee any more and can't keep eroding the physical nature of the sport.

It shouldn't annoy he crap out of you. Brain damage is a real and serious issue for ex-footballers and fortunately we're not still stuck in the dark ages on this topic in what in the end is just a game. No doubt there is further tweaking of rules required but any careless contact with another players head needs to be discouraged. Sling tackling someone's head into the ground is definitely an avoidable act.

tigerlove said:
It shouldn't annoy he crap out of you. Brain damage is a real and serious issue for ex-footballers and fortunately we're not still stuck in the dark ages on this topic in what in the end is just a game.

I have no doubt brain damage is real. Lets cancel the sport now then shall we rather than death by a thousand cuts?
In a contact sport accidents happen. I seriously doubt Gibbs or Schulz meant to knock people out but unfortunately it happens in football.

I hear you, Oldie, and it annoys me too but how many 'accidents' are we willing to cop? How many do we just accept as part of the game? Players hit contests so much harder than they used to. If the rules were anywhere near as loose as they used to be in regards to sling tackles and bumping we'd have an unacceptable amount of head and collision injuries IMO. It's a funny game we have, always trying to right itself. Not sure there's any other game that tinkers with itself quite like ours.

Tigers of Old said:
In a contact sport accidents happen. I seriously doubt Gibbs or Schulz meant to knock people out but unfortunately it happens in football.

There are very few 'accidents' in football now and it's been that way for some time. Player A gets hurt -> Player B must pay... except for random inexplicable judgements like Schulz.

Just when you think you've come to grips with the AFL's new way of doing things, they go and completely *smile* with your head.

BrisTiger24 said:
Serious? On what basis?
Maybe they'll trot out the 'it was just a bit of byplay between mates' line. Cameron tried that on GameDay on Sunday, and none of them bought it either. He also argued that players do spit at times during the game because their mouths dry out, and I get that. We've all seen it, and I think that's what Greene was trying to get away with, but it kind of falls flat when you see that he looked directly at Miles before spitting in his direction. If it had just been the dry mouth thing, he could have turned his head and spat at the ground. I hope that the MRP do give him a week and fine GWS for wasting their time by appealing it.