MRP 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP 2015

Tommy Gun said:
4 weeks for Vickery, 3 weeks for Yarran and Hodge. Not being partisan here, but that is not right.

Vickery put Cox out for the rest of the game (and maybe the following week as well - not sure) where as Yarran caused a blood lip and Hodge no damage at all - they do take that into account

Tommy Gun said:
They have already shown they are not consistent Baloo, there is no way May's action was as bad as Lewis, but same penalty 2 weeks for a guilty plea
Didn't Ballantyne appeal against a suspension similar to May's last year and managed to get off?

DirtyDogTiger said:
Not sure what they expected May to do.
Do you stop chasing the footy in case your opponent gets a bump?

Soccer mum mentality

The rule is "Play nice and don't hurt your opponent". It's not what we grew up with, but it's pretty clear.

Foxtel showed edited highlights of Richmond v Carlton from 2002 last night. Matthew Rogers literally threw himself at a Carlton opponent with his head over the ball. He made only glancing contact and the Carlton player got straight up and took the free, but it didn't even draw comment from the callers. The game's changed a lot.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Not sure what they expected May to do.
Do you stop chasing the footy in case your opponent gets a bump?

Soccer mum mentality

Yup. This bothers me. It is a competitive full contact sport. I understand the worries about head injuries and I think any sniff of concussion should mean the player sits out the game and perhaps the following week. But in a competitive team sport you can't tell players they must back out of a contest or must not bump. They are there to win. Otherwise we'll just give the trophy to the nicest team shall we?

KnightersRevenge said:
Yup. This bothers me. It is a competitive full contact sport. I understand the worries about head injuries and I think any sniff of concussion should mean the player sits out the game and perhaps the following week. But in a competitive team sport you can't tell players they must back out of a contest or must not bump. They are there to win. Otherwise we'll just give the trophy to the nicest team shall we?
Jeez, we still wouldn't win it!

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The rule is "Play nice and don't hurt your opponent". It's not what we grew up with, but it's pretty clear.

Foxtel showed edited highlights of Richmond v Carlton from 2002 last night. Matthew Rogers literally threw himself at a Carlton opponent with his head over the ball. He made only glancing contact and the Carlton player got straight up and took the free, but it didn't even draw comment from the callers. The game's changed a lot.

Yup saw that. May's was nothing like it.

It's certainly not the game it used to be.

Interesting that Fyfe's trip was assessed as to the body. Not sure how you can trip someone high or to the face

jb03 said:
Interesting that Fyfe's trip was assessed as to the body. Not sure how you can trip someone high or to the face

Shouldnt have been classed as intentional though, was just a reflex action after he slipped. Still its only a fine and he is still eligible for the brownlow so all good.

IanG said:
Shouldnt have been classed as intentional though, was just a reflex action after he slipped. Still its only a fine and he is still eligible for the brownlow so all good.

Tribunal seems pretty soft these days. $1,000 fine for a deliberate trip.

jb03 said:
Tribunal seems pretty soft these days. $1,000 fine for a deliberate trip.

It's all over the shop, still. Don't the new guidelines provide for suspensions for conduct with the potential to seriously injure? Peter Foster had his leg snapped by a similar trip and hardly played afterwards. Fletcher's probably had eight holidays for those.

The new, old guidelines - keep the $tar$ on the park.

Seems like its about luck. You trip and connect in one place = no injury, minor penalty. Connect in slightly different place, major injury and big penalty. Yet action and impact the same.

Not sure where to post this, but did anyone see sixty minutes story last night regarding alex mckinnon? What a tragic story. If ever there was an example of why the afl must eliminate dangerous tackles, this is it.

Tigerflag2008 said:
Not sure where to post this, but did anyone see sixty minutes story last night regarding alex mckinnon? What a tragic story. If ever there was an example of why the afl must eliminate dangerous tackles, this is it.

I did. Very sad story, amazing couple though

Re: Maric 1 week Cotchin $1000 fine

Bit stiff, but we'll probably take it to give Ivvy a week off.

Do we go with Vickery and Griffiths in the ruck and bring in a runner like Lennon or being in McBean or Hampson depending on fitness.

Toby Greene charged with spitting at an opposition player. Can accept a $1,500 fine.