MRP 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP 2015

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
There are very few 'accidents' in football now and it's been that way for some time. Player A gets hurt -> Player B must pay...

At some stage the powers that be have to say enough or it's a runaway train and Australian Rules just becomes a hybrid version of soccer and basketball.
Personally I like the gladiatorial aspect of our game and want it to remain. Getting hurt is a ramification of playing Australian Football. It's a tough game.
If you don't like the threat of that, then play another sport.
Unfortunately that choice is exactly what a lot of soccer mums a doing and is why our sport is bending so much to try and hold back the dam wall but it's changing the face of our game no doubt and makes me long for another time.
The bump is already dead. The tackle is now on the agenda. Soon you'll have to approach a marking contest with kid gloves in case someone gets hurt..
The line creeps every year as to what players are suspended for when other players are injured.
I totally understand why.
The contestants in Australian Rules can get hurt but that's football or it's something else that's not.
I know I probably just sound like an angry old man but I'm sick of the sport being tampered with.

The AFL grounds are so hard compared to 30 years ago that the sling tackle should be banned altogether.

Tigers of Old said:
At some stage the powers that be have to say enough or it's a runaway train and Australian Rules just becomes a hybrid version of soccer and basketball.
Personally I like the gladiatorial aspect of our game and want it to remain. Getting hurt is a ramification of playing Australian Football. It's a tough game.
Unfortunately that choice is exactly what a lot of soccer mums a doing and is why our sport is bending so much to try and hold back the dam wall but it's changing the face of our game no doubt and makes me long for another time.
The bump is already dead. The tackle is now on the agenda. Soon you'll have to approach a marking contest with kid gloves in case someone gets hurt..
The line creeps every year as to what players are suspended for when other players are injured.
The contestants in Australian Rules can get hurt but that's football or it's something else that's not.
I know I probably just sound like an angry old man but I'm sick of the sport being tampered with.
I tend to agree Oldie. I remember a line from the song AW used to use to start off their broadcasts about 'you gotta be game to play this game at all'.

Tigers of Old said:
Personally I like the gladiatorial aspect of our game and want it to remain.

Disregarding the hits behind play of yesteryear, I reckon AFL is tougher now than any time in the past. Players attack the contest, and the man, with far more speed and power than before, and use their bodies with much greater intensity.

Watch a replay from the 60s and 70s, and count the number of collisions and tackles that the majority of individual players are part of -- you won't need to count very high. Running back with the flight was a rarity, gang-tackles as well. I don't see it becoming a hybrid of soccer and basketball at all, unless they start reducing the number of players on the field.

davidc0055 said:
Disregarding the hits behind play of yesteryear, I reckon AFL is tougher now than any time in the past. Players attack the contest, and the man, with far more speed and power than before, and use their bodies with much greater intensity.

Watch a replay from the 60s and 70s, and count the number of collisions and tackles that the majority of individual players are part of -- you won't need to count very high.

No doubt some of what you say is correct.
High impact collision injuries are another part of the reason I want them to cut the interchange right back to the bare bones.
Fatigue will cause a lot of players to slow down and minimise players around the contest and slow their ability to attack with ferocity.

Tigers of Old said:
I have no doubt brain damage is real. Lets cancel the sport now then shall we rather than death by a thousand cuts?
In a contact sport accidents happen. I seriously doubt Gibbs or Schulz meant to knock people out but unfortunately it happens in football.

Yep accidents happen but we manage to carry on with the game we all love. I hope it never changes despite the dangers.

For those that don't know or remember, here is a replay of the absolute worst of the worst accidents ever to happen in VFL/AFL, very sad footage:
[youtube=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXXHMrdKcoY[/youtube]

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Yep accidents happen but we manage to carry on with the game we all love. I hope it never changes despite the dangers.

For those that don't know or remember, here is a replay of the absolute worst of the worst accidents ever to happen in VFL/AFL, very sad footage:

You can see the immediate look of concern from Sachse's closest Dogs team mate.

Tigers of Old said:
No doubt some of what you say is correct.
High impact collision injuries are another part of the reason I want them to cut the interchange right back to the bare bones.
Fatigue will cause a lot of players to slow down and minimise players around the contest and slow their ability to attack with ferocity.
Agree with you on the interchange
The cap should be tightened even more and if players need to have the old fashioned "rest" up in the old fashioned forward pocket - good. Better than having them going full bore for their 5-10 minute stint then sprint off the ground and have recovery for 5 mins. Meanwhile the replacement runs on and goes full bore himself.
As you say - the game needs to slow down

Tigers of Old said:

I hear ya. But I've gone with the flow because it takes less energy than getting angry.

Then they pull out inconsistencies like this...

BrisTiger24 said:
Serious? On what basis?

They weren't happy with the wording of the charge - "spitting at an opposition player". But after learning that "spitting on" an opposition player goes straight to the tribunal, they've accepted the fine.

Chiang Mai Tiger said:

Complete side issue CMT - but I'm reading your post from a hotel in Nanjing and soaking up the news after spasmodic internet the last few days while cruising down the Yangtze. Leaving Shanghai Sat night after a 17 day trip. Hopefully we clean up Carlton making it 3/3 while I've been on the road.

Tigers of Old said:

The sport has been tampered with since they played the first game. But I agree. Its a catch 22. Nobody played soccer when I was a kid. Society is paranoid about the worst-case scenario in all aspects of life. Remember when you'd get on your bike as a 10 year old, no helmet, cross multiple busy roads to get milk and smokes for dad from the shop? Those days are gone. The other day I had to pick up a friends 4 yo kid from daycare, 4 blocks away, no main roads, I forgot the carseat. It was if I'd dragged the kid behind the car!

Having said all that, for all the eroding of the physical clashes from the game, Buddy gets away with ignoring the ball and lining someone up...

Just read that Batchelor copped a $1000 fine for starting the melee. IIRC, the GWS team started it.

poppa x said:
I'm still waiting for my son to come home.

lol. I used to dilly dally big time coming home. There were pinnies at the shop and at the servo.

tigersnake said:
lol. I used to dilly dally big time coming home. There were pinnies at the shop and at the servo.
How much did l spend on pinball machines?I still love the older style pinballs.

Tigers of Old said:
I have no doubt brain damage is real. Lets cancel the sport now then shall we rather than death by a thousand cuts?
In a contact sport accidents happen. I seriously doubt Gibbs or Schulz meant to knock people out but unfortunately it happens in football.

I'm involved in an U12 team and we're getting concussions just about every week. When there's a sling tackle in AFL, the 11-year-olds follow. When the Hawks players punch their opponents behind the play, the 11-year-olds follow.

We had an ambulance called to tend to a concussed kid after a sling tackle. The AFL needs to lead on this.

Whats next? blokes who crash packs or fly for a speccy and knee their opponents in the process should get rubbed out as well? If anything its a more deliberate attempt to injure the opposition player.