Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Carter said:
Still festively plump, aces.

But, is showing much more poise now.
A festively plump McDonough is a much better prospect than a undernourished Nahas.

Smoking Aces said:
A festively plump McDonough is a much better prospect than a undernourished Nahas.

Agreed. He should get a couple of games in the not too distant future.

He does need to spend a bit more time building up a sweat on the training track over Summer though.

Could he possibly get less effective possessions than nahas is averaging at the moment? His skills would be a breath of fresh air.

Carter said:
Still festively plump, aces.

But, is showing much more poise now.

He's not called Plugger for nuffin Carter.

B1 and B2 said:
Close family member of mine involved with the draft kids.
Gave me the following....
Vlastuin - good solid pick, 200 gamer
McIntosh - he said 'hmmmm may turn out ok'
McBean - Wont see him until 2015
McDonough - Could be a steal

B1

Looks like a pretty accurate assessment so far except for beanie who will debut this year if his form continues.

Like McDonough. Footballer. If we can build his body up and add some endurance, we may have our own 'Chappy'.
That was Dave Astbury's best game in ages. Really good positioning. Neat disposal. Solid.
Thought Todd Elton looked surprisingly good in defence. Maybe he doesn't like kicking for goal? Always impresses me in the marking contest.

Smoking Aces said:
Matt McDonough
Played a really solid game, starting forward and then moving into the midfield. Had 25 touches and used the ball extremely well. Stoppage and contested work again were features of his performance.

Has produced this sort of form the last few weeks. Surely a call up to the team is near at the expense of at least Nahas.

It's interesting.

McDonough is doing as much or more than Nahas before call up.

Helbig, Arnot are doing as much or more than Lonergan before call up to seniors.

Dimma seems to be playing it a bit too safe perhaps worried about consequences if we don't make finals. Would rather he bloods these kids over the more deficient senior equivalents.

Leysy Days said:
He's not called Plugger for nuffin Carter.

If his nickname is Plugger, he has just become my fav. Has a stack of time and is very neat by foot. It's time.

UNLEASH PLUGGER.

It certainly is.

Comes from kicking bags of goals in junior ranks whilst being a bit..well..pudgy.

Noticed the names also crossed the border to his tiger teammates.

Leysy Days said:
It certainly is.

Comes from kicking bags of goals in junior ranks whilst being a bit..well..pudgy.

Reminds me of Chris Naish, bring him in for Nahas ASAP.

Barnzy said:
It's interesting.

Helbig, Arnot are doing as much or more than Lonergan before call up to seniors.

Dimma seems to be playing it a bit too safe perhaps worried about consequences if we don't make finals. Would rather he bloods these kids over the more deficient senior equivalents.

This. Helbig and Arnot were way ahead of Lonergan. Dimma is digging a grave. McDonough is playing good footy. And then people wonder why FJ doesn't pick any good 2nd/3rd rounders. It's because they rot at Coburg and don't develop.

Leysy Days said:
It certainly is.

That's it. I am driving the Plugger express. I did want the boy before last years draft so I am not jumping on late!!!

"PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

A Plugger of our very own! :'( (tears of joy)

tigs2010 said:
This. Helbig and Arnot were way ahead of Lonergan. Dimma is digging a grave. McDonough is playing good footy. And then people wonder why FJ doesn't pick any good 2nd/3rd rounders. It's because they rot at Coburg and don't develop.
If we lose with players like Helbig, Arnott and Plugger but they end up developing into good core footballers long term than I can take that.

Coburg is a silent killer. It should come with a health warning to any player who puts on that jumper.

Barnzy said:
It's interesting.

Nahas consistently plays well for Coburg, kicked 4 a couple of weeks ago something McDonough hasn't done yet . I am all for him coming in this week but his form was not better than Nahas at Coburg. The reason to play him is that he a 19 year old kid with promise and Nahas has had enough chances but it's not because he had better form at Coburg, nahas was actually picked on form.
Lonergan was picked with a specific role in mind which failed badly. Helbig and Arnot have not been better than Lonergan at Coburg either but should be pushed forward for the same reason as McDonough. Helbig for Lonergan would be a good selection this week.
I am all for giving kids a chance but I don't agree that their selection was warranted on form ahead of others.

Sintiger said:
Nahas consistently plays well for Coburg, kicked 4 a couple of weeks ago something McDonough hasn't done yet . I am all for him coming in this week but his form was not better than Nahas at Coburg. The reason to play him is that he a 19 year old kid with promise and Nahas has had enough chances but it's not because he had better form at Coburg, nahas was actually picked on form.
Lonergan was picked with a specific role in mind which failed badly. Helbig and Arnot have not been better than Lonergan at Coburg either but should be pushed forward for the same reason as McDonough. Helbig for Lonergan would be a good selection this week.
I am all for giving kids a chance but I don't agree that their selection was warranted on form ahead of others.

McDonough's last 2 weeks have been exceptional at Coburg. He's had a 3 goal bag in a team that got flogged. His work rate and contested work is far and away ahead of Nahas. Nahas took the spot of a midfielder so swap him out for McDonough who has been better in the middle.

Can you tell me how Lonergan has been better than Arnot/Helbig? Lonergan had 6 effective possessions out of 20 before being promoted. Helbig regularly hits targets.

tigs2010 said:
McDonough's last 2 weeks have been exceptional at Coburg. He's had a 3 goal bag in a team that got flogged. His work rate and contested work is far and away ahead of Nahas. Nahas took the spot of a midfielder so swap him out for McDonough who has been better in the middle.

Can you tell me how Lonergan has been better than Arnot/Helbig? Lonergan had 6 effective possessions out of 20 before being promoted. Helbig regularly hits targets.
I am agreeing that McDonough has been good for 2 weeks and should come in but before that nahas form was better at that level imo.

Arnot has been butchering the ball at times at Coburg all season, that's the big knock on him imo. In the coaches report Lonergan had a couple of weeks where he got a lot of praise. hasn't Helbig just come back from a short term injury as well.

I am not against them coming in, I just don't think they were crying out until recently to be picked ahead of others on form.