Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Leysy Days said:
We can only blame ourselves that we have our VFL players in a poor learning environment. No-one else.

They would want to invest heavily in a few decent ex-AFL players or else next year's team could be worse than this Coburg side.

I agree - on top of our own senior and rookie list players, it will be vitally important that our VFL side is made up of a couple of recently delisted/retired AFL players, the best younger players that just missed being drafted and other talented State League players (from other States as well as Victoria) that want to show their wares. If you go back to when we used to have a reserves team, it always fell apart when we had a run of injuries to senior list players.

We can't let that happen this time. Indeed we should make it a proving ground for lots of younger players.

On the original topic, McDonough will be a player but is no where near AFL fitness yet. He's one for next year for me after a big (and much needed) pre-season. Once fit, will burst onto the scene - old fashioned, hard nosed footballer.

Our VFL side will be OK. You'll have some reliable senior citizens and you'll find the odd recent delist like a Ben Ross or Wayde Skipper or Valenti plus juniors that have just missed being drafted will join with a view to promoting themselves in an AFL environment, plus as we get stronger our depth players will be a higher quality.

I've enjoyed the experience of old fashioned footy experience at Coburg but its way past time for our own side in the VFL.

Maybe this explains why we recruited Lonergan and co. Delist and put them in the ressies.

We should beg Werribee to give Maric back ;)

Leysy Days said:
We can only blame ourselves that we have our VFL players in a poor learning environment. No-one else.

True, I certainly wasn't suggesting otherwise.

Does anyone know for sure if McDonough is injured or not?

He is not on the RFC injury list (I realise it is behind the times sometimes); plus there was no mention of an injury to him in the Coburg report; plus didn't he play on after hyper extending his knee?

Yet he is not named in either the 1s or 2s - which makes it seem likely that he is injured.

Does anyone know for sure what the story is - rather than conjecture?

Matt is probably the most natural footballer we have at the club - Chocco

Time to end the McDonough farce.

Barnzy said:

When did he say that?

Barnzy said:

C'mon Barnzy, get it right.

It's the Madonna farce!

Love to see every first year player have a go at some stage (in their first year) but unless he rips it up in the 2nd half of the year at Coburg, lets be patient and just let the kid develop. No rush.

SCOOP said:
When did he say that?

On that chocco cub video on the website.

Seen a couple, he's normally pretty critical but was full of praise for him.

When White inevitably has a poor game in the next few weeks this kid should get a crack. Coburg form has been pretty good I think.

Tigers of Old said:
Typical diversion.

Wouldn't have thought so. If he gets a crack eventually White is the most vulnerable in terms of role in the team.

Barnzy said:
On that chocco cub video on the website.

Seen a couple, he's normally pretty critical but was full of praise for him.

When White inevitably has a poor game in the next few weeks this kid should get a crack. Coburg form has been pretty good I think.

I've seen 3 live coburg games and I have not noticed him. Is he the kid that looks like his got a hair hat on??

Barnzy said:
Wouldn't have thought so. If he gets a crack eventually White is the most vulnerable in terms of role in the team.

'Wouldn't have thought so.' :hihi
Barnzy this isn't about Whitey or King for that matter, you were trumpeting all pre season how good Nahas was and how he was a 30+ goal kicker etc.
It's a classic look over there at the unwrapped comment to take away from the fact you've backed yet another spud.

zippadeee said:
I've seen 3 live coburg games and I have not noticed him. Is he the kid that looks like his got a hair hat on??

He's still a virgin...

Tigers of Old said:
'Wouldn't have thought so.' :hihi
Barnzy this isn't about Whitey or King for that matter, you were trumpeting all pre season how good Nahas was and how he was a 30+ goal kicker etc.
It's a classic look over there at the unwrapped comment to take away from the fact you've backed yet another spud.

*cough* like McGuane *cough*

On the White train now Tooheys?

Look forward to you jumping off in four weeks time.