Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

Re: Welcome Matthew McDonough at pick 42

Sintiger said:
I am agreeing that McDonough has been good for 2 weeks and should come in but before that nahas form was better at that level imo.

Arnot has been butchering the ball at times at Coburg all season, that's the big knock on him imo. In the coaches report Lonergan had a couple of weeks where he got a lot of praise. hasn't Helbig just come back from a short term injury as well.

I am not against them coming in, I just don't think they were crying out until recently to be picked ahead of others on form.

Yer not a huge Arnot fan but I think he uses it better than Lonergan. I think we need to find out if he can play too otherwise delist. Helibg may have missed a week but was playing when Lonergan got promoted as far as I'm aware. Hopefully get back our first choice players soon and it won't be an issue.

evo said:
McDoughboy.

2pillsbury-doughboy.jpg

Nothing wrong with a chunky footballer if he can play, we had one recently called Dusty.......................... There's always time to work a bit of excess off the kids over their first few preseasons, doesn't stop their ability.

There's only ever going to be one Plugger, think it's disrespectfull to tag anyone else with such an iconic nickname.

TigerMasochist said:
Nothing wrong with a chunky footballer if he can play, we had one recently called Dusty.......................... There's always time to work a bit of excess off the kids over their first few preseasons, doesn't stop their ability.

There's only ever going to be one Plugger, think it's disrespectfull to tag anyone else with such an iconic nickname.

His Dad Howard was the original Plugger. By all reports a great player who, umm, pushed the boundaries of physical contests. Ran the Cattleyards Hotel in Ballarat as well when I was a young'n.

But yeah, there's only one Plugger

Sintiger said:
I am agreeing that McDonough has been good for 2 weeks and should come in but before that nahas form was better at that level imo.

Arnot has been butchering the ball at times at Coburg all season, that's the big knock on him imo. In the coaches report Lonergan had a couple of weeks where he got a lot of praise. hasn't Helbig just come back from a short term injury as well.

I am not against them coming in, I just don't think they were crying out until recently to be picked ahead of others on form.

Sorry Sin, but no way was Lonergan in better form than Arnot. Lonergan has had one full game @ Coburg and in that 15 out of 19 kicks were ineffective. :-X

From memory that was the match Arnot missed because his form was good enough to go Adelaide as emergency. Surely the one full match from Lonergan isnt enough to get him past Matt in the pecking order.

Thats only one side of his selection, the other is HTF do you bring such a battler in for a midfield role on so little football. The alarm bells are ringing with some selections of late. ILO the coaching staff are starting to do the same mistake as all there predecessors and are losing sight of the real goal here.

Leysy Days said:
Sorry Sin, but no way was Lonergan in better form than Arnot. Lonergan has had one full game @ Coburg and in that 15 out of 19 kicks were ineffective. :-X

From memory that was the match Arnot missed because his form was good enough to go Adelaide as emergency. Surely the one full match from Lonergan isnt enough to get him past Matt in the pecking order.

Thats only one side of his selection, the other is HTF do you bring such a battler in for a midfield role on so little football. The alarm bells are ringing with some selections of late. ILO the coaching staff are starting to do the same mistake as all there predecessors and are losing sight of the real goal here.

Locked and Loaded :rofl

Leysy Days said:

I thought Lonergan was serviceable Saturday night, at least he won some contested footy and injured Hurley. My Essendon mates are pissed they delisted Lonergan. As for his ineffective kicks at Coburg, Richo stated he has 16 contested possessions at Coburg, that would impact your efficiency markedly.

Tigers of Old said:
Should have happened last week. Can't believe they gave Nahas another game.
He was horrendous.

Nahas got dropped for being rubbish but then a late inclusion for the next game. He certainly wasn't gifted that game. :rofl Won't be long till players stop buying into this won't be gifted games crap.

Leysy Days said:

To me there is a myth around that Arnot has been very good for Coburg. I have seen 3 Coburg games this year and am not impressed so far. He can get the ball, looks good but decision making and execution is disappointing to me. Imo that is why he is not playing and why Lonergan came in after couple of games. The game I saw Lonergan play he was very good in the centre square. It didn't work as I said originally. I would pick Helbig before Arnot any day .
I am not against playing the youngsters but dispute this theory that they are being ignored despite good form

Leysy Days said:

BOOM. This. We are getting nervous and trying to short circuit the process. Can't do it.

Sintiger said:
To me there is a myth around that Arnot has been very good for Coburg. I have seen 3 Coburg games this year and am not impressed so far. He can get the ball, looks good but decision making and execution is disappointing to me. Imo that is why he is not playing and why Lonergan came in after couple of games. The game I saw Lonergan play he was very good in the centre square. It didn't work as I said originally. I would pick Helbig before Arnot any day .
I am not against playing the youngsters but dispute this theory that they are being ignored despite good form

Right with you sin.

Arnot isn't ready. His disposal is poor at best.

Helbig hasn't set the world on fire but I'd like to see him get more senior games.

Coburg is now officially a graveyard.

Carter said:
Coburg is now officially a graveyard.

Ain't that the truth. Wasn't so bad a few years ago, but after last year and the start of this season we can't get out of there quickly enough.

mld said:
Ain't that the truth. Wasn't so bad a few years ago, but after last year and the start of this season we can't get out of there quickly enough.

Yep, leave City Oval and come back to Punt Road and suddenly the sun will shine, strong VFL-standard players, admin and off field support for a VFL team will fall from the sky and all will be well at the new Richmond VFL team.

RedanTiger said:
Yep, leave City Oval and come back to Punt Road and suddenly the sun will shine, strong VFL-standard players, admin and off field support for a VFL team will fall from the sky and all will be well at the new Richmond VFL team.

exactly, cant wait to leave coburg :clap

mld said:

We can only blame ourselves that we have our VFL players in a poor learning environment. No-one else.

As I said, Arnot will surprise people at the top level.

His disposal and decision making is no worse than say, Tuck's, which is better than Jackson's & Lonergan's but his hands are probably almost as quick as Edwards except he's built like the proverbial brick sh!thouse.
Like Lonergan he's a genuine midfield enforcer rather than a short stepping faux-tough guy like Jackson, though he'll probably get suspended as regularly as Danny boy does.