Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

Re: Welcome Matthew Arnot

The start of the footage you'd think he was purely playing off halfback, but then he was in the in the middle at the centre bounce and also taking marks in the forward line. I liked how when he could have blazed away for goal he spotted a forward 30 mtrs out with a neat low kick in a good position to kick for goal.

SAF said:
There is a hell of a lot more "Captain Obvious" posts on here than what I said that don't get any ridicule. I was only responding to the quote from a BF poster who was making it sound as though Arnot was to be the best late pick of this draft based on one VFL game he saw which I thought was a bit over the top.

Anyway this whole interaction is reminding me why I come on PRE less and less these days, like so many others before me I think I'll just logoff here and spend my time more wisely.

I'll buy in here since I was the one who posted it on Big Footy (as CrowdedHouse).

The posters that know me here (mainly in the Coburg thread) know I've seen a lot of VFL footy as I've been broadcasting VFL games since 2007 (first with 1611 AM and now with 3WBC).

Of the 3 or so years of the '23rd man rule' at VFL (That's a TAC Cup Player or first year VFL player), I've never, repeat never, seen one of them have such an impact on a game (especially on debut) as Matthew Arnot did.

I've seen a number of TAC Cup kids have a good 'cameo' role (flashes of good stuff), but the skill and PHYSICALITY he showed against mature premiership players, left his own Port Melbourne players gob-smacked.

Is he the best late pick in the draft? No. That is Orren Stephenson (best ruckmen in the VFL by a street and owned blokes like Will Minson) who is a ready to go fit for Geelong... plus many good judges know that ruckmen generally prove to be better late in their careers (though 29 is quite late!)

However, Biscuit is the best bargain find - a real steel at Pick 55.

BTW, the last time I said a Port Melbourne player was 'ready to go' at AFL level, was on-air for 1611 AM back in 2008... a bloke called Robin Nahas. ;D

Disco Stu said:
Just watched his clip on the club site & couldn't help think he was a cross between Heath Shaw & Tony Free. He also looks competent overhead which is a plus for a small bloke.

Exactly! Looks like a Pack-Buster!

Radio1611 said:
I'll buy in here since I was the one who posted it on Big Footy (as CrowdedHouse).

The posters that know me here (mainly in the Coburg thread) know I've seen a lot of VFL footy as I've been broadcasting VFL games since 2007 (first with 1611 AM and now with 3WBC).

Of the 3 or so years of the '23rd man rule' at VFL (That's a TAC Cup Player or first year VFL player), I've never, repeat never, seen one of them have such an impact on a game (especially on debut) as Matthew Arnot did.

I've seen a number of TAC Cup kids have a good 'cameo' role (flashes of good stuff), but the skill and PHYSICALITY he showed against mature premiership players, left his own Port Melbourne players gob-smacked.

Is he the best late pick in the draft? No. That is Orren Stephenson (best ruckmen in the VFL by a street and owned blokes like Will Minson) who is a ready to go fit for Geelong... plus many good judges know that ruckmen generally prove to be better late in their careers (though 29 is quite late!)

BTW, the last time I said a Port Melbourne player was 'ready to go' at AFL level, was on-air for 1611 AM back in 2008... a bloke called Robin Nahas. ;D

Radio - who does he remind you of any current AFL players and what position do you see him being suited to ?

AstuteTiger said:
Watching that 4 min vid Arnot is a bull, lays sum super hip n shoulders, pretty much landing some of em on their arses...
Lovely left foot kick...

I count 13 games to get those 4 minutes of highlights.

In the Blood said:
Can anyone enlighten us as to what his admitted flaws are meant to be?

Not flaws but oberservations

He only plays midfield when Tyson, Greene, Viney are unavailable. Woofinden is picked before him. So he was a second-tier midfielder at Oakleigh. He only made the best player 6 times in 20 games and not once in the second half of the season, or in any of the finals. His kicking efficiency is only 60%. He has shown no real ability to play well anywhere but the centre square. He isn't quick, he doesn't run and carry. He doesn't score goals. He's not that good overhead.

he shows determination, his kicks hit targets, not afraid, attacks the ball. That is a start, further development will take place. Will be a beauty.

Lennox Street said:
I count 13 games to get those 4 minutes of highlights.

Not flaws but oberservations

He only plays midfield when Tyson, Greene, Viney are unavailable. Woofinden is picked before him. So he was a second-tier midfielder at Oakleigh. He only made the best player 6 times in 20 games and not once in the second half of the season, or in any of the finals. His kicking efficiency is only 60%. He has shown no real ability to play well anywhere but the centre square. He isn't quick, he doesn't run and carry. He doesn't score goals. He's not that good overhead.

and he was drafted pick 55 in a weak draft, who else did you expect chris judd :hihi

BillyJean17 said:
and he was drafted pick 55 in a weak draft, who else did you expect chris judd :hihi

liked his highlights, he showed he can bring it out of defence, run through the middle and hit targets in the 50..

he may not be judd, but with those guns, and his height he looked and moved a little like one of Judds old teammates and ex-tiger Benny Cousins..

In the Blood said:
Can anyone enlighten us as to what his admitted flaws are meant to be?

Just look at the highlights. He doesnt have any. ;D

At a guess I suspect Arnot may not have the best tank.

Not many 87kg, 18 year old endurance athletes out there.

Has a pretty tough couple of years of training ahead of him I reckon.

Leysy Days said:
Just look at the highlights. He doesnt have any. ;D
:hihi

No right foot for a start. Which in all honesty is a big flaw at AFL level.

He's also a midget ::) ;D

Smoking Aces said:
You have been reading too much BF. ;D

haha yer i was taking the *smile*. funny stuff though. Beyond me how 180cm is a midget. :rofl

Radio1611 said:

Yes, you seem very positive about Arnot. I saw your post about him. Interestingly it's the total opposite to this other post I saw from someone who said they've seen him play a lot. We need more midfield depth but it's pointless if the quality isn't there. Would like to find some more blue chip midfield prospects to fill out our list. Will be interesting to see how Arnot progresses nonetheless.

Francis Jackson simply has to go.
He is the only recruiter who refuses to have more than 6 people in his entire national team( Hawhron has 21, col 23 ) because , wait for it" most people don't know what they are looking at".

The selection of Arnott on Thursday night has to go down as perhaps the most extraordinary thing this man has done. As someone who watched chargers approx 20 times over the past two years let me give you some facts about that selection.

No other club had any interest whatsoever
He is that slow, the goalpost runs past him
He can only play in one position
There was stunned disbelief in the room on thursday when his name was read out. No recruiters sitting near me could believe their ears
Not a single person from Richmond spoke to any official from Oakleigh throughout the year about any of their players
This guy will barely be abel to play VFL seniors-barely
My phone has run hot with every recruiter in town paying out on the selection and also wanting to know Richmond is adding ruckman when all the other club are shedding them due to the substitute rule

Francis has set up a model which is entirely different to every other club with a third of the staff. He refuses the clubs offer of more resources. He has his guys watching up to 5/6 games per weekend-ridiculous. The rest of the clubs are wrong and he is right.

Every single person involved in the TAC this year would like to know what he was thinking drafting ARNOTT-DEAR OH DEAR>

Barnzy what the other guy said sounds like a load of sh!t. Arnot steal his girl or something?

Every other recruiter has called this one guy to pay out on the selection. Give me a break.

Not to mention we didnt recruit a ruckman and id presume all other recruiters would know that.

He also can't spell the name of one of the players at the club he watches.

I agree tigs, we didn't recruit a ruck, Elton is clearly stated by our recruiting team to be a KPP, whether forward or back, with a pinch hit in the ruck. Also, since when are other clubs shedding rucks? Geelong, reigning premiers, just drafted a 29 yo rookie ruck as a replacement for Ottens to maintain their ruck stocks at 5, which is one more genuine ruck than we have!