Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

Re: Time to elevate Arnot?

Tigers of Old said:
As ordinary as he was, we have to play him again this week. No point just bringing players in and dropping them the very next week. Lets start finding out who can do what.

It's an easy call as a supporter to do that, I'd agree with you, but there are people with bigger vested interests and Arnott is an easy scapegoat.

saigon tiger said:
And thats playing him as a defensive forward the same position Morris had with virtually zero impact. If Arnott gets the flick and Morris is picked again I will be p!ssed. Had enough of the selection committee at this rabble. Forget about my membership again gutfull

You called ))

Im in Hanoi ..

DLR said:
It's an easy call as a supporter to do that, I'd agree with you, but there are people with bigger vested interests and Arnott is an easy scapegoat.

They need to leave Arnott in the team for a month then assess , no good dropping him after 1 game. He did kick a great goal..hmmm Morris?.

Ral said:
Made the usual mistakes when under pressure, should have elevated Thomas for the wet weather game imo,

I don't even think he was playing the VFL wet game. Why would he be selected for the AFL one? Thomas's papers should be stamped. No benefit whatsoever in bringing him back above the younger brigade.

tigerlove said:
Problem is there wasn't much else to upgrade at this stage. I just don't think Short and Castagna are quite ready and Lambert was already upgraded. Only other option was Thomas, but I just don't wish to see him playing in ones again, it would be a big step backwards. I don't think Arnot will make it but now is the time to find out once and for all.

We didn't have to upgrade anyone.

DragicevicFan said:
We didn't have to upgrade anyone.

Yes that's true. But since there was no-one else to upgrade what was there to lose in doing so? May as well see what he's got. As some have pointed out he performed the defensive forward role a lot better than Morris did.

im in the not a fan category. you can claim he should be played in the midfield, but as a half forward he should have been around plenty of contests and stoppages, and besides a few big tackles he just doesnt seem to impact them.

he lacks speed, his skills- despite having a good looking action and drilling the occasional kick- are average. he lacks awareness. just dont think he has the skill set to be a good player.

Give him 4 games in a row (not sub) if at the end of it he is not up to AFL standard stamp his papers and give a kid a go.

But the reality is he is highly likely to be dropped so that Morris can play forward again and get less possessions, make fewer tackles and not trouble the scorers.

I think he'll get a gig this week as we already have 3 out injured. I think Dimma will drop McDonough as the obligatory scapegoat if there are demotions.

Brodders17 said:
im in the not a fan category. you can claim he should be played in the midfield, but as a half forward he should have been around plenty of contests and stoppages, and besides a few big tackles he just doesnt seem to impact them.

he lacks speed, his skills- despite having a good looking action and drilling the occasional kick- are average. he lacks awareness. just dont think he has the skill set to be a good player.

Do you think he is a better option that Morris as a forward?

jb03 said:

let me just check what i said about morris before rd 1. ;D

i reckon neither of them is a good option in the forward line. but i would rather Morris in the 22. despite his PREnemy No1 status, i reckon he can still do a decent job down back. at the very least until we have a better small lockdown option.

jb03 said:

He'd be about the only AFL listed player who isn't if he's not a better option.

tigertim said:
I think he'll get a gig this week as we already have 3 out injured. I think Dimma will drop McDonough as the obligatory scapegoat if there are demotions.

He nailed McDonough after the Kangaroos embarrassment last year. I'm sure he'll get him again. ::)

Perfect conditions for his skill set Friday night an other then a very good goal , he was simply woeful, I know others see things in him, I see nothing at all too work with at AFL level

CC TIGER said:
Perfect conditions for his skill set Friday night an other then a very good goal , he was simply woeful, I know others see things in him, I see nothing at all too work with at AFL level
Yep. People wonder why we can't improve. We cut the bloke from our list but then rookie him. Why can I ask already knowing he is not up to AFL standard?

Slow. Can't kick. Doesn't stick tackles. Seems exactly like our type of player.

CC TIGER said:

and he didn't even iron out Vince (who played well btw)

Tigers of Old said:
and he didn't even iron out Vince (who played well btw)
That was probably the biggest disappointment for me he did not cause any carnage, I've seen him at VFL hit hard, maybe AFL just that big quick for him.

Yep, the chances were there to offer Cotchin some cover, some chop out call it what you will, was not sighted doing any of it from what I could tell - one cuddle with Nathan Jones - if more wasn't asked of Arnott in this regard, why not? Would play McDonough 10 times before this bloke.

CC TIGER said:
That was probably the biggest disappointment for me he did not cause any carnage, I've seen him at VFL hit hard, maybe AFL just that big quick for him.
he put a really big hit on Jones just after Jones mauled him on the ground. It was just at the edge of the screen. Jones took some time to get up.