Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

I only watched a couple of VFL games last year. Arnott only showed he was a player at that level. Thomas although not a fan showed more in the VFL last year.

Arnot was tough and hard at it as usual but also his foot skills were fantastic from what I saw looks like he has also lost some weight as he was able to get to more contests. And I know it’s only 1 game put I hope he gets elevated back on the senior list. Will add some much needed toughness in the middle and also has the ability to go forward.

MB78 said:
I only watched a couple of VFL games last year. Arnott only showed he was a player at that level. Thomas although not a fan showed more in the VFL last year.

Thomas makes an impact on the inside - he can and does get the ball - where he falls down is when he has some space his slowness of mind and legs gets found out. He played some good games at AFL level last year (eagles was one) so I can see why he may be the player at the head of the queue.

I am hoping a Lambert can overtake him as he doesn't appear as slow and can get the ball - he needs time to prove himself. The good thing is that at the moment (touch wood) we don't have a critical need to elevate anyone so we can give the Shorts / Lamberts a bit of time in the early VFL games to prove themselves.

i am surprised he only got 65% game time yesterday

in a team lacking seasoned midfielders i thought he would have spent a lot of time in the middle

he is either starting from a long way back, or being saved for the next games ( a la pettard and grigg who played low minutes yesterday)

nikolasmia said:
A very undervalued and under-utilised commodity.

We should persist.
I agree, but for some reason Dimma doesn't really seem to like him much and will pick anyone else if available ahead of him.

Juffaricho said:
I thought he played a solid game again in the role he was given. Only played 65% of the game and like Kane Lambert was very good.
I must just be missing something about this guy cos' so many people always says he's crap and every other club could have got him in the rookie draft before we retook him at 61 but no one was interested.
All I have ever seen when he plays for the senior team, is a competitive strong bodied extractor with an AFL level side step whose disposal seems fine. But he always impacts contests whether he gets the ball all not and that is so underrated by the average supporter but AFL recruiters usually like this.
He just seems like a guy you could put in many teams as the 7th mid coming off the bench to do some grunt work who could allow some of your silkier mids to get more time on the outside. Guys like Nathan Foley, Koby Stevens etc. play these roles and I think this guy contributes just as much as them but younger with more potential upside.

To improve this year we can try all these young inexperienced whippets in outside run and carry roles in an attempt to find the extra 1 or 2 line breakers we need but we could also try a guy like this inside and give Cotch an extra 5 mins a quarter on a flank if the whippets just aren't ready. Last year Shane Edwards going inside a little it each quarter allowed Deledio to finally get away from an unsuitable inside mid role but Cotch can also explode in a slightly more outside role if someone else could extract the ball a bit each quarter.

Just never understood why guys like Matt Thomas got in before him, never understood why Hardwick doesn't play him more when he loves physical guys and sticks with injured under performing players like Morris during the season. And really don't understand how no other team with a crappy midfield like Carlton, Melbourne etc. didn't think here is a plug and play inside mid who offers depth and the potential to improve for a cheap rookie selection. As I said, I must be missing something.

This. Not terrible, not great but can play a role. I'm ok with him. Thought he was very solid on the weekend.

Once again he shows a bit and I cannot work out why he doesn't get a go. Maybe something to do with attitude (which was hinted at late last year) is the reason or maybe he did something to Dimma's (insert car, wife, daughter, pet, parents etc. here)

New nickname should be Jax, he looks straight out of Sons of Anarchy.

Not a huge fan of his, but thought he was good against the Dogs. I think Lambert has more strings to his bow, and they'd likely be competing for the same role in the 1s.

I thought he was good on the weekend, but I haven't liked him in the VFL before. He's just not consistently involved in play enough I have thought in the past.

I've said from the start there is just something about him. He is the nearest to Stewie Maxfield I've seen. May not have Stewie's left foot but just has that X factor.

KnightersRevenge said:
I've said from the start there is just something about him. He is the nearest to Stewie Maxfield I've seen. May not have Stewie's left foot but just has that X factor.

God I hope not. It's no surprise to me that Maxfield is remembered for his captaincy/leadership off the field, more so than his ability on it. One of our most overrated footballers of the modern era.

Sometim...the heart wants what the heart wants. ;) Sometimes...footy is theatre. Remember, Richmond won more often when Jake King played. Was a he a silky left-footer with divine skills? Nope. Does that matter if his "on field presence" made those around him stand a little taller? Nope. A win is a win is a win. I can't explain it, I just really want to see Matt (Thunda thighs) Arnot get a decent run at senior level.

Played well.

It will be very tough for him to force his way in but we really need to persevere with him as a midfielder. It's the role he can play at AFL level given his physical limitations for other positions.

Stop trying to turn him into a small forward & let him run riot around stoppages. That's his go so let him live or die by what he does best.

He volunteered to go forward Leysy. Told me that himself. Knew he'd struggle to get games ahead of Martin and Cotch et all, so wanted more strings to the bow.

Although there has been a bit of love for Lambert it seems that Arnott has been held over for the North game and therefore may have the front running for that last upgrade spot. I think this is great because he seems to have found his mojo and not before time.

Tails said:
Although there has been a bit of love for Lambert it seems that Arnott has been held over for the North game and therefore may have the front running for that last upgrade spot. I think this is great because he seems to have found his mojo and not before time.
Thomas?