Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

Arnott is very slow on a footy field,lacks creativity,does not get enough ball at vfl level,let alone afl,has only cracked 30 once ever,won't make it,way too many mids in afl and waiting mids at lower levels with more tricks,club should delist,this type of player needs to lift to even play vfl,would not get a vfl game at top vfl clubs

lol @ the arnot knockers NFI at all yeah lets delist him and play thomas quite obvious some on here don't read full threads let alone watch the games

IMHO he doesn't have the necessary tools to make it at AFL level , however as contradicting as it may sound I believe he should be given a good run at the top too prove himself an not in an unfamiliar position, I thought that was the main reason to have a magoos, so we could ready our kids for there AFL roles

Tigion said:
lol @ the arnot knockers NFI at all yeah lets delist him and play thomas quite obvious some on here don't read full threads let alone watch the games

I don't think anyone is saying Thomas should be played ahead of him. It's that people (and I am included in this group) don't think Arnot will make it. He hasn't got enough strings to his bow and I've seen him a lot at VFL level.

Having said that he should absolutely get a run of games just to see whether or not he is in fact up to it, instead of vesting him.

im not of the belief you give players a run at it unless they have talent to burn and your seeking to bring their development forward..

whist i hope arnott makes it i just can't see how, his only good quality is his hardness, thomas has that and can get the pill, not saying he is better but he is also tough... has more attributes and he is ordinary...

Tiger68 said:
Arnott could not run a game out playing midfield in the seniors. His fitness is not up to AFL standard and I think it makes it hard to play him.

No one said anything about playing out a game. But an 8 minute stretch in each quarter should not be out of the question.
How on earth does a full game in the fwd pocket help make a judgement on an inside mid?
If you really want to make a fair assessment you have to have the guts to tell Foley to have a rest for a week or two because we want to see how the kid goes. And of course, don't bring back Matt Thomas.

Last night with Conca out we had a chance to give Matty Arnott a game in the seniors with guaranteed midfield time instead of the unnatural pressure fwd pocket role he has been asked to play in the seniors in the past. Instead we play Matty Thomas (who was OK for a few games earlier in the year but is now shot) and we choose to bring in an outside player in Grigg and ask him to play inside. Both Thomas and Grigg were ineffective in that role. It just frustrates me that we are holding out a guy like this who is a natural fit for the role available and missing an opportunity to see him on the big stage when he has shown he is not afraid of the atmosphere, level etc. and we know can compete physically. I hope he keeps his head up and plays a blinder and forces his way into that spare inside mid role for the Adelaide game cos' I don't want to see Thomas or Grigg anywhere near a centre bounce again.

Add Helbig to the list.... What's it say about Arnott & Helbig if a mature age rookie is ahead of them

Juffaricho said:
Last night with Conca out we had a chance to give Matty Arnott a game in the seniors with guaranteed midfield time instead of the unnatural pressure fwd pocket role he has been asked to play in the seniors in the past. Instead we play Matty Thomas (who was OK for a few games earlier in the year but is now shot) and we choose to bring in an outside player in Grigg and ask him to play inside. Both Thomas and Grigg were ineffective in that role. It just frustrates me that we are holding out a guy like this who is a natural fit for the role available and missing an opportunity to see him on the big stage when he has shown he is not afraid of the atmosphere, level etc. and we know can compete physically. I hope he keeps his head up and plays a blinder and forces his way into that spare inside mid role for the Adelaide game cos' I don't want to see Thomas or Grigg anywhere near a centre bounce again.
Totally get what your saying , however IMHO this bloke is simply nowhere near good enough for AFL , yep hard at the man an hits hard, for me his skills are hit an miss, lacks pace for his size, fumbly, personally I'd delist but agree while there's an opportunity he should be at least given his chance

CC TIGER said:
Totally get what your saying , however IMHO this bloke is simply nowhere near good enough for AFL , yep hard at the man an hits hard, for me his skills are hit an miss, lacks pace for his size, fumbly, personally I'd delist but agree while there's an opportunity he should be at least given his chance

There is so many examples of guys like this who once given a go figure it out, and we have seen it first hand with Miles. No one is saying he will make it, but to not give a guy who is a natural for an available role the opportunity is just disappointing.

Bullarto Tiger said:
I imagine Arnot's continued tenure at RFC will be line-ball come season's end.
I agree. I like Arnot but think he has too many limitations to make the grade as an AFL regular at Punt Road. I fear Dimma has already marked his card

Bullarto Tiger said:
I imagine Arnot's continued tenure at RFC will be line-ball come season's end.

You would think so but I hope he gets one more year.
There are already about 6 guys to leave before him and considering Foley and Jackson's ages and injury histories, Conca's injury history, Thomas being Thomas and the fact we don't have many guys who can play inside while also having some power and acceleration for pressure and tackling I think he has a unique set of skills that could be useful to us. I would love to see a guy like him take a little bit of Cotch's time so we can flip him on the back flank every now and then for a breather. Also, I think he is a decent potential tagger role, something we don't really have.

If he got the cut, I would be surprised to not see him appear on another team's list. And if no one was that serious about him, like Anthony Miles, I think he would find a way to kick a door down somewhere.

I dont think arnott has been given a proper
Go in the midfield hard yo judge a player
Who a doesn't get a game and b when he does
He is played in a forward pocket.

I thought he played a solid game again in the role he was given. Only played 65% of the game and like Kane Lambert was very good.
I must just be missing something about this guy cos' so many people always says he's crap and every other club could have got him in the rookie draft before we retook him at 61 but no one was interested.
All I have ever seen when he plays for the senior team, is a competitive strong bodied extractor with an AFL level side step whose disposal seems fine. But he always impacts contests whether he gets the ball all not and that is so underrated by the average supporter but AFL recruiters usually like this.
He just seems like a guy you could put in many teams as the 7th mid coming off the bench to do some grunt work who could allow some of your silkier mids to get more time on the outside. Guys like Nathan Foley, Koby Stevens etc. play these roles and I think this guy contributes just as much as them but younger with more potential upside.

To improve this year we can try all these young inexperienced whippets in outside run and carry roles in an attempt to find the extra 1 or 2 line breakers we need but we could also try a guy like this inside and give Cotch an extra 5 mins a quarter on a flank if the whippets just aren't ready. Last year Shane Edwards going inside a little it each quarter allowed Deledio to finally get away from an unsuitable inside mid role but Cotch can also explode in a slightly more outside role if someone else could extract the ball a bit each quarter.

Just never understood why guys like Matt Thomas got in before him, never understood why Hardwick doesn't play him more when he loves physical guys and sticks with injured under performing players like Morris during the season. And really don't understand how no other team with a crappy midfield like Carlton, Melbourne etc. didn't think here is a plug and play inside mid who offers depth and the potential to improve for a cheap rookie selection. As I said, I must be missing something.

Juffaricho said:
Just never understood why guys like Matt Thomas got in before him, never understood why Hardwick doesn't play him more when he loves physical guys and sticks with injured under performing players like Morris during the season. And really don't understand how no other team with a crappy midfield like Carlton, Melbourne etc. didn't think here is a plug and play inside mid who offers depth and the potential to improve for a cheap rookie selection. As I said, I must be missing something.

Totally agree with you Juffa. To be demoted this quick when signs of him improving through last season were showing, maybe leads to some internal issue at the club. Let's hope Arnie gets better and proves the coaches wrong. I still wonder if that killer first perception (i.e. his small stocky body) is the downside of his career.

Juffaricho said:
I thought he played a solid game again in the role he was given. Only played 65% of the game and like Kane Lambert was very good.
I must just be missing something about this guy cos' so many people always says he's crap and every other club could have got him in the rookie draft before we retook him at 61 but no one was interested.
All I have ever seen when he plays for the senior team, is a competitive strong bodied extractor with an AFL level side step whose disposal seems fine. But he always impacts contests whether he gets the ball all not and that is so underrated by the average supporter but AFL recruiters usually like this.
He just seems like a guy you could put in many teams as the 7th mid coming off the bench to do some grunt work who could allow some of your silkier mids to get more time on the outside. Guys like Nathan Foley, Koby Stevens etc. play these roles and I think this guy contributes just as much as them but younger with more potential upside.

To improve this year we can try all these young inexperienced whippets in outside run and carry roles in an attempt to find the extra 1 or 2 line breakers we need but we could also try a guy like this inside and give Cotch an extra 5 mins a quarter on a flank if the whippets just aren't ready. Last year Shane Edwards going inside a little it each quarter allowed Deledio to finally get away from an unsuitable inside mid role but Cotch can also explode in a slightly more outside role if someone else could extract the ball a bit each quarter.

Well said Juffa. Impact.

Dimmas own words a little while back and it's something I look for in a player also.

a good first outing for his season. showed an awareness that others need to learn. He now has the rest of the year to prove that delisting him was wrong. Its in his own hands.

the only reason he was delisted we wanted more picks for the draft was a tough call for the club but was promised that we would rookie him after yesterdays game surely he has to be ahead of the rest of the rookies along with lambert if they upgrade thomas before arnot and lambert ill be spewing ,with hunt now in the team we only need thomas for back up i hope they play arnot for the rest of the nab challenge and he shows consistency