Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

CC TIGER said:
Other then his hardness at the man, I don't see a lot of AFL qualities, hope he has a big tank as I think he will need it to be any chance
Fair call, but also seems to have an incredible drive and mature head to get the most out of his abilities, and demonstrated remarkable improvement and consistency in 2013. Certainly deserves another year I would have thought.

Tigerflag2008 said:
...seems to have an incredible drive and mature head to get the most out of his abilities...
That was the feedback from Oakleigh Chargers when drafted. Whilst not the most gifted, he sure as hell will not die wondering!

I don't see Matt as any less skilled or able to compete at the highest level than others..only that it may take a bit longer for him to adjust to the higher level. This is not uncommon and shouldn't be seen as a knock on him. Ask Michael Tuck - he played 4 full years of reserves football before he got a go a senior level.

Ghost of 29 said:
I don't see Matt as any less skilled or able to compete at the highest level than others..only that it may take a bit longer for him to adjust to the higher level. This is not uncommon and shouldn't be seen as a knock on him. Ask Michael Tuck - he played 4 full years of reserves football before he got a go a senior level.

It is scary isn't it. M.Tuck could have played 500+ senior games if he had walked straight into the ones. Everyone thinks Dustin F is indestructible, but that would have been some serious longevity (not that 427 games isn't).

DirtyDogTiger said:
Good news:
Been informed that Arnott is going to be a tiger in 2014 but I don't know about the length of the current contract

That is good.I rate him.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Good news:
Been informed that Arnott is going to be a tiger in 2014 but I don't know about the length of the current contract
tigerdave said:
That is good.I rate him.

That's good to know.
Given his limited opportunities, he did show a bit. Plenty of improvement in him. I hope he has the hunger to succeed. Sounds like he does from some of the footage on Roar Vision.

Six Shirts and a Suit said:
It is scary isn't it. M.Tuck could have played 500+ senior games if he had walked straight into the ones. Everyone thinks Dustin F is indestructible, but that would have been some serious longevity (not that 427 games isn't).
426 senior games, 100 reserves games and 11 state games plus who knows how many night games (20?) means probably over 550 games! And he still had a season left in him when he "retired".

I would give him 1 year. Definite potential but question marks on ability to cover the ground and second efforts for mine.

Tiger68 said:
I would give him 1 year. Definite potential but question marks on ability to cover the ground and second efforts for mine.

Seconded T68. Have my doubts but hope the lad can prove us wrong.

The debate about Arnot is interesting.

5 years ago, based on our playing list back then, I would have thought most of us would have seen him as an absolute keeper.

But with so many players having been moved on over the last 5 years, and with our drafting/acquiring of new talent and trading having really gone up a notch, we are now in the position where hard calls have to be made on a guy like Arnotmuch earlier than we are used to.

The age structure of or list over the next few years does not lend itself to many retirements, so we are going to see players with what we termed 'potential' 5 years ago let go after much less time on the list. And thankfully, in recent years I think the club has become much better at making these calls correctly.

That right there is some damn good posting Streaker. Exactly how I see things right now. Not only has the club risen the bar, so to have we as supporters.

Streak said:
The debate about Arnot is interesting.

5 years ago, based on our playing list back then, I would have thought most of us would have seen him as an absolute keeper.

But with so many players having been moved on over the last 5 years, and with our drafting/acquiring of new talent and trading having really gone up a notch, we are now in the position where hard calls have to be made on a guy like Arnotmuch earlier than we are used to.

The age structure of or list over the next few years does not lend itself to many retirements, so we are going to see players with what we termed 'potential' 5 years ago let go after much less time on the list. And thankfully, in recent years I think the club has become much better at making these calls correctly.

Essentially I agree, though our midfield depth still seems wafer thin to me.

There is no debate. The kids a jet
I'm putting in to be his prez next year
While Jake is making angry faces, grabbing blokes jumpers and limping about - Matty is running through blokes sending them to the hospital and kicking goals