Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

Re: Matthew Arnot

DirtyDogTiger said:
him or Whitey will look after Foley's spot

I'd say if Longergan can get a couple games in before round 1 he will be ahead of both.

Tigers of Old said:
Footskills are a concern IMO. Lots of raggedy edges. Give him a ft onball role at Coburg and see how he goes.

This. Kicking a huge concern for me. Gets underneath it too much, lacks penetration. Things that kill a man at afl level.

We'll see.

Carter said:
This. Kicking a huge concern for me. Gets underneath it too much, lacks penetration. Things that kill a man at afl level.

We'll see.

Not outstanding defensively either.

Carter said:

We'll see.

Yah, disposal not great. Had a couple of rather annoying turnovers. But he is 19.

Personally, I don't see more than a depth player out of him, or maybe someone to play the Jackson role. (I find it humourous that we have specified role for unskilled hardmen. I would think it's always better to have a highly skilled player, but Damien knows best.)

But as I said, he is only young, hopefully he can work on the polish. Has the balance and strength to be quite good.

Carter said:

Huh one thing he doesn't have is a lack of penetration in his kicking, no problem in that regard....

evo said:
Beast of a kid. Would be nice if he could become part of the midfield rotations. Despite his two reaosonably easy goal misses to the right looks to be a good kick.

Agree, a lot to like about this kid and will only improve....

evo said:
Beast of a kid. Would be nice if he could become part of the midfield rotations. Despite his two reaosonably easy goal misses to the right looks to be a good kick.

Should play a dozen games this year off the bench. Burst player. Has no tank but hits the ball hard. Perfect rotation onballer.

Not to worried about footskills yet, need to see more.

I'm also not too worried about his kicking. His go is the inside hard ball get and the quick dish. He has the ability to do this in spades. He should err on the side of hanballing to the extent possible (Greg Williams style). His kicking will improve with age and experience but will never be a dominant part of his game.

Yeah. For an inside mid he's got nice balance and fluency to his kicking action.

Ardnut is looking ok. Not sure how many senior games he'll get this year though. Would be happy to see him with another year in the 2s.

AstuteTiger said:
Huh one thing he doesn't have is a lack of penetration in his kicking, no problem in that regard....

Too much hang time on long kicks to position.

Shanks em too when pressured. This bit can be fixed though with the poise that fitness brings.

Carter said:
Too much hang time on long kicks to position.

Shanks em too when pressured. This bit can be fixed though with the poise that fitness brings.

I don't want to cut the guy down so early but his kicking action also worries me, hopefully he can iron that out with a bit of experience.

SCOOP said:
Should play a dozen games this year off the bench. Burst player. Has no tank but hits the ball hard. Perfect rotation onballer.

Not to worried about footskills yet, need to see more.

I would disagree on the lack of tank. He runs sub 14min tans so aerobic running ability isn't an issue, I reckon it is more his "cut cat" running patterns where he is always going flat out. Give him some more game time and he will learn to be more like Cotchy and run smarter not harder.

I was really impressed by his game. yes he muffed a kick or two and should have sealed the game with his two shots in the last, but his endeavour and willingness to do the in and under work then push forward and be an option was great.

Give him as much NAB game time as possible, then assess on possible inclusion for the season proper.

I though his field kicking was ok, he had plenty of brothers who missed from the set shot. White was the only one to kick truely from the set shot in the last 1/4 when we missed some easy ones.