Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

Re: Matthew Arnot

Cotchin praised him during his post game interview. Said he was the most impressive new kid for us out there tonight.

Definitely the quiet achiever last night. All the spotlight is on other recent recruits but Arnott seems to be unrecognised too often.

I reckon this kid is better than what we think. Very impressive inside work last night. It's only a NAB Cup match but it's worth starting him in our first 22 to see how he progresses.

The thing I like about seeing Arnot start to emerge is that hopefully it signals that the club has finally got the player development side of things right.

It is these sorts of kids we need to start coming through. You have to make hay with your early picks, but you still need to find wheat in the chaff later in the draft. And that comes down to effective development structures IMO.

I thought he was a bit stiff to get injured last year just when midfield opportunities opened up. He'd played a couple if really strong games at Coburg and showed a lot if physicality. Not fully 'knocking down the door', but closer to it than anyone else the time. Anyone think, with continued good pre-season form, he could be a smokey for round 1?

Streak said:
The thing I like about seeing Arnot start to emerge is that hopefully it signals that the club has finally got the player development side of things right.

It is these sorts of kids we need to start coming through. You have to make hay with your early picks, but you still need to find wheat in the chaff later in the draft. And that comes down to effective development structures IMO.

Exactly right Streak. If he continues to improve, he could be Jacko's replacement in the near future.

Streak said:

And it all starts from picking the right body type, we're really starting to refine our recruitment strategy with the smalls & mediums and that appears to be paying dividends.

chopperjack said:
He has some of the thickest legs I've ever seen. Warmed up in front of me at the triangle game a few weeks ago and his legs are enormous.
I had to look up who he was because I didn't recognise him, told my group of friends he was 18 and we were all blown away.

Reckon Mark McQueen has him covered on the thickest legs dept.... by the time we drafted mark on the 3rd occassion he was running on kegs...

He hunted the ball carrier with efforts rivalling Cotchin. Would be great to see him get more time on the park to see what he has got, but already I would have him in the firsts.

Not round 1 bound, IMO, but is certainly in contention for a spot early in the year if some of our players are underperforming.

Aside from all his other virtues he's got a sense of urgency. More of that, please.

From what I saw on the TV ......he looked good in traffic ................made some good decisions. he seem to get the ball abit when near it!!

maybe the same type of role and hopefully same type of player as sam mitchell ( too far??)

but he looked good ............

He'll be keeping the top 22 boy's honest that's for sure!

Boy has potential,

Does a lot of good things, hard at it, tackles etc

Last week i was impressed with his handballs to players clearly in a better position

This week, he seemed to kick the ball more than handball, and by the look of it, he is a much better handballer, than kicker

Maybe he needs to look at Jobe Watson, and just concentrate I handballing

Yep, something to work with.

Isn't afraid to get involved. Underrated trait at senior level for kids.

Looks like a bit of a battler for mine. Strong body and will provide a contest if we have a lot of injuries, but otherwise he will get a lot more time in the 2nds this year.

He has a lightning quick 1st step, reacts super quick to ball and player movement. That skill is dynamite as AFL level. I think one of him or Lonergan have to play Rd.1 with Foley's absence so looking forward to seeing them both play next week.