Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

Re: Welcome Matthew Arnot

Ghost of 29 said:
From his time trial results and his movement on the video's, his running ability looks to be the least of his problems. I imagine it is simple a matter of learning the game at the elite level, where to run to, how to find space etc....

Hoping he can get a go in 2013 and show his wares.

From the limited times I've watched biscuit, the boy can certainly play and he LOVES the physical side of thing (see: crunching / hurting people) but sometimes at the detriment of the flow of play.
No doubt Dimma would love this bloke to pieces BUT he needs to learn when the 'Dark Forces' are appropriate - not every contest.
Don't reckon he's all that far away and would expect to see him on the G in 2013 at some stage.

linuscambridge said:
Long term might be the replacement for Jake King.

No - different kind of tough.

Jakey like to grapple / wrestle (preferably the biggest threat) .

Biscuit likes to smash, snap kind of hurt - a grenade if you will.

Be great to have both of them on the park at the same time...not forgetting our kamikaze Morro down back either!

Could be some sore, tired opponents at games end yeah?

Ocker said:
No - different kind of tough.

Jakey like to grapple / wrestle (preferably the biggest threat) .

Biscuit likes to smash, snap kind of hurt - a grenade if you will.

Be great to have both of them on the park at the same time...not forgetting our kamikaze Morro down back either!

Could be some sore, tired opponents at games end yeah?

I like the sound of that, I'm sure that was what it was like playing against us in the 70s - some very hard & tough men wearing our jumper back then and we were a team to be feared.

Ghost of 29 said:
From his time trial results and his movement on the video's, his running ability looks to be the least of his problems. I imagine it is simple a matter of learning the game at the elite level, where to run to, how to find space etc....

Hoping he can get a go in 2013 and show his wares.
I know his time trialling's good, was wondering about his repeated sprints, which is more akin to the kind of running he'll do in a game.

I saw around 4-5 Coburg games this year.

Does anyone think that Arnot will be capable of playing a Foley type role in the senior team?

He has the body and has almost elite fitness ATM.

I just really want to see this guy succeed. He always puts in 110%.

dont think he has elite fitness, i think youll find once it becomes more match orientated that his fitness will look a bit subpar. time trails are fine, but its very different to running around in a match situation.

Saw just about every game for Coburg this year, he should get games for us this season, but still has a lot to learn about being part of a structure and not just hunting the ball/man at every opportunity.

Reckon we'll have to be patient with biki. Looks like he could be a beauty, but the reality is he looked very raw at times in the magoos last season. AFL a big step; 2014 for mine.

D85 said:
dont think he has elite fitness, i think youll find once it becomes more match orientated that his fitness will look a bit subpar. time trails are fine, but its very different to running around in a match situation.

Saw just about every game for Coburg this year, he should get games for us this season, but still has a lot to learn about being part of a structure and not just hunting the ball/man at every opportunity.
Foley took time to be effective
He could always get his hands on the ball at the bottom of packs but wasn't strong enough to get it out and was pinged for holding the ball too often
Eventually muscled up and only gets caught occasionally
Arnot looks stronger for one year in the system and can learn from the little master

foley was a ball magnet from day one. got 46 possies for coburg in his first year.

Fitness at AFL level is as much about confidence and believing you belong there. I have no doubt Matt would have exceptional fitness levels, just needs a chance at AFL level. And yes time trials aren't real footy, but if you have poor time trials there is no way you will have the fitness to play AFL

Harry said:
foley was a ball magnet from day one. got 46 possies for coburg in his first year.

That might be right, but from day one he has been a very average kick. Mr bubble kick
Hopefully Tim tam takes his spot..

zippadeee said:
That might be right, but from day one he has been a very average kick. Mr bubble kick
Hopefully Tim tam takes his spot..

You never cease to leave me flabbergasted Zips .

I suggest you send an open letter to the other 17 clubs and ask the theoretical question of who they would like in their team if they had a choice between Foley and Arnott.

It might be the beginning of a football education for you.

lamb22 said:

I suggest you send an open letter to the other 17 clubs and ask the theoretical question of who they would like in their team if they had a choice between Foley and Arnott.

Trade bait

I would take Tim tam, foley is yesterday's footballer. Mr turnover. Watch the Geelong game
Another huge stuff up this year should've traded him

Foley's one of the best users of the ball we have. Mr Turnover my butt.

lamb22 said:

You should read the dribble written on the Foley thread.

Geez that zipper loves to play the troll angle, just keeps throwin any sort of crap into the street n watchin people hoover it up.

TigerMasochist said:
Geez that zipper loves to play the troll angle, just keeps throwin any sort of crap into the street n watchin people hoover it up.
Yep, suprising people still play along.

TigerMasochist said:

Agree. If the trolls won't be weeded out, the ignore button is your friend.