Matthew Arnot [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Arnot [Merged]

Re: Welcome Matthew Arnot

spook said:
Sure was. Pick 55 from memory. I thought Biscuits held his own in the clinches against Freo, which will be his niche.

Ta for that!

He had a scratchy start against Freo but as he adjusted to the tempo seemed to get better and better. Reading about his performances last year in the U18's it seems his form was having a sharp upward curve in the last 6 to 8 games. Sometimes it just takes something to click with a player and they start making serious improvement.

frickenel said:
Reading about his performances last year in the U18's it seems his form was having a sharp upward curve in the last 6 to 8 games. Sometimes it just takes something to click with a player and they start making serious improvement.

I believe recruiters rate this type of late improvement very highly.

I know we drafted Cogs on a very similar thing. He stepped up to play league footy at Perth, and was so so for a while, but then showed some rapid improvement. It was enough to convince us to grab him. He did the same with us too if you recall. Was playing fairly average footy at the start of his career. Frawley basically told him that he had 6-7 gauranteed games to just go out and play. It did the trick, he showed that improvement, and boy, we had a player.

Hopefully Arnot is that type of player.

Conversely, I remember going to an Eagles function with a mate and the topic of conversation was Anthony Banik (this was 20 years ago). The Eagles official at the time was saying that it is very difficult to gauge the value of a player like Banik because he obviously matured physically very early in the piece. The concern always is that they have peaked and cannot make the next step. The offical was not being smart about it, because he then pointed out the Eagles had the same problem assessing Glen Jackovich. They had to take him early in the end because another club would snap him up if they didn't. But they had their concerns. The bottom line was, sometimes Kids who really dominate at lower levels work out, and sometimes they don't.

RFC_Official said:
Came into the gym on his day off to lift weights, just goes hard at everything.

And not a big fan of the nickname biscuits/bikkies.

Arnie: "I will be back"

RFC_Official said:
Came into the gym on his day off to lift weights, just goes hard at everything.

And not a big fan of the nickname biscuits/bikkies.

Biscuit, Bikkies, Crumpet
Sounds like we need to come up with a nickname

RFC_Official said:
Jack calls him crumpet, not sure it caught on.

BTW he played 3/4 at Coburg last night and is now at the game in case we need him.

That's a pity, I was looking forward to seeing crumpet... I mean Arnot

How about something original like Matty ;D

I don't care what we call him as long as he can play.

Iced Vovo
9c90_VOVO__minisite.jpg

Don't want to put too much pressure on the kid, but he again looks quite good in the Coburg highlights.

He was one of the best for Coburg last week.
If he continues his good form would like to see him play in the centre against the Dees

wayne said:
Don't want to put too much pressure on the kid, but he again looks quite good in the Coburg highlights.

There was a centre clearance there that again took me back to Cogs.

I have a good feeling about the bickie.

Agree with ToO though, extended time at Coburg will do him no harm in the context of his career.