Is Jack Riewoldt too lazy and arrogant to become a gun ?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is Jack Riewoldt too lazy and arrogant to become a gun ??

josey said:
Gotta laugh at the Jack knockers.

All I can say to them is who would you prefer, Riewoldt or Hawkins?

Jeez Tom is a dud. I reckon Geelong will punt him to the Gold Coast.

Interestingly, if my memory serves me correctly, TomoHawk was in the same draft as Jack. And I recall all the hype around the TomoHawk with the general concensus being that if he hadn't been picked by Geelong as a father son selection he was an absolute certainty to go top 3 in the draft.

Now if we consider that Jack was picked at no.13 in that draft it is interesting to look at other similar players (forward marking types) that were picked before Jack. The main two are Scott Gumbleton - taken by Essendon at no.2 - and Mitch Thorpe - taken by Hawthorn at no.6.

With Gumbleton, though he showed some early promise, I think it is safe to say at this stage that he hasn't been mind blowing with his performances. And Mitch Thorp, did he even play a hand full of games before being delisted by the Dirty Nappies (AKA Hawthorn)?

The M.Thorp / J.Riewoldt comparison always gives me a good comeback to my Hawthorn mates who love to wank on about the L.Franklin / R.Tambling comparison. ;D

My point being, that even though Jack carries on like a bit of a goose at times, the boy can play. Imagine how good he would be playing as a forward in that Geelong side with the amount of ball coming in. Certainly makes you ask questions about T.Hawkins, that's for sure. ;)

Panthera Tigris said:
Imagine how good he would be playing as a forward in that Geelong side with the amount of ball coming in. Certainly makes you ask questions about T.Hawkins, that's for sure. ;)
Frawley asked the same question during the game. But the great Dwayne Russell said that we wouldnt know because he wouldnt get a game for the Cats. I was hoping one of Lynch or Frawley would bring up Riewoldt as a replacement for Hawkins but unfortunately they didnt.

That Dwayne Russell gives me the *smile*.

Panthera Tigris said:
Interestingly, if my memory serves me correctly, TomoHawk was in the same draft as Jack. And I recall all the hype around the TomoHawk with the general concensus being that if he hadn't been picked by Geelong as a father son selection he was an absolute certainty to go top 3 in the draft.

Now if we consider that Jack was picked at no.13 in that draft it is interesting to look at other similar players (forward marking types) that were picked before Jack. The main two are Scott Gumbleton - taken by Essendon at no.2 - and Mitch Thorpe - taken by Hawthorn at no.6.

With Gumbleton, though he showed some early promise, I think it is safe to say at this stage that he hasn't been mind blowing with his performances. And Mitch Thorp, did he even play a hand full of games before being delisted by the Dirty Nappies (AKA Hawthorn)?

The M.Thorp / J.Riewoldt comparison always gives me a good comeback to my Hawthorn mates who love to wank on about the L.Franklin / R.Tambling comparison. ;D

My point being, that even though Jack carries on like a bit of a goose at times, the boy can play. Imagine how good he would be playing as a forward in that Geelong side with the amount of ball coming in. Certainly makes you ask questions about T.Hawkins, that's for sure. ;)
Gumbleton looks to have finally beaten his constant injury problems, will need all this year to set himself a playing standard, looks to have plenty to be a good player.
Thorpe, Dawkthorn erred badly with him. Did he ever get uninjured?
Think everyone missed the blindingly obvious when they praised up Tomahawk at under 18s. The kid was twice as big as everyone else and monstered anyone who got in his way. At AFL level there's others as big as him and with a much greater work ethic. They'll cover for him this year and next but he'd want to start showing some consistency reasonably soon.

Smoking Aces said:
Frawley asked the same question during the game. But the great Dwayne Russell said that we wouldnt know because he wouldnt get a game for the Cats. I was hoping one of Lynch or Frawley would bring up Riewoldt as a replacement for Hawkins but unfortunately they didnt.

That Dwayne Russell gives me the sh!ts.

I heard that & thought exactly the same thing. Never heard a commentator winge as much as he did yesterday when his Cats were up by 10 goals plus for more than half the game. The bloke is a goose.

Disco Stu said:
I heard that & thought exactly the same thing. Never heard a commentator winge as much as he did yesterday when his Cats were up by 10 goals plus for more than half the game. The bloke is a goose.

Baby Huey doesnt hold a candle to Jack, thats what is so laughable about the situation. In fact Baby Huey's kicking makes Kernahans look immaculate.

Smoking Aces said:

That Dwayne Russell gives me the sh!ts.

Spot on Smoking Aces! Russell is a dill.

Riewoldt would be a 50 goal a year option at the Cats.
He is better than Hawkins and Pods, despite his deficiencies.
In fact he would be probably over taking Mooney this year as the number one option for the Cats.

My solution to Dwayne Russell is the mute button.
It works really well. ;D

Some people should read some of the crap they have written on here and hang their heads.

Supporters? Hardly

Good to see Riewoldt kick 4 today, always stuck up for him because he's an immense talent. Having said that and I've said this many times, he really needs help and he's playing a lone hand up forward. Polak and Rance just aren't the answer.

It was obvious when he was averaging 3 goals a game in the first few weeks that his critisism was not warranted. He was only critisised because of the team's position.

He's a gun.

Kicking is looking like it did for Coburg in his first two seasons.

he was great today..tool some great marks..did a great smoother..some great chasing and tackling..and 4 goals..an odd brain freeze once or twice..but i love his guts and heart and determination..plus he kicked four goals..how on earth anyone could not be impressed with the guy is beyond me..he is a definite part of our future

arlobill said:
he was great today..tool some great marks..did a great smoother..some great chasing and tackling..and 4 goals..an odd brain freeze once or twice..but i love his guts and heart and determination..plus he kicked four goals..how on earth anyone could not be impressed with the guy is beyond me..he is a definite part of our future
Agree - he looked like an elite AFL foward today - great one grab marks under pressure.

Yeah if it was his cousin Nick everyone would falling over themselves with praise! He easily took the three best marks of the day - all contested pack marks.

Maybe he could show young Rance how to hang onto the ball - he had 3 or 4 sitters!