Is Jack Riewoldt too lazy and arrogant to become a gun ?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is Jack Riewoldt too lazy and arrogant to become a gun ??

Only thing I didn't like tonight was trying to take too many 1 handed marks after pulling off one.
I understand why due to his positioning against the defender, but it was low % play

That being said, it was a ripper game and he really is having a break out year

ZeroGame said:
Only thing I didn't like tonight was trying to take too many 1 handed marks after pulling off one.
I understand why due to his positioning against the defender, but it was low % play

That being said, it was a ripper game and he really is having a break out year

I agree Zero...but I think Jack knows his marking is so sticky this year that he 'thinks' he can one grab the pill.
Low %....but Jack wouldn't back himself like that last year.

Now he's a feared contested forward marking player.
I hope Jack's step up is a natural progression, and not just one year out of the bag.

Geez, he played well tonight. You know a young bloke's going ok when he's stitching up D.Fletcher in the 1-on-1's. Well done Jack. Stay persistent and your time will come in a successful team.

So whilst you understand why he went for a couple of one handers due to the positioning of the defenders. But you didn't like it because it was low %. What is he supposed to do when as you say the defender has put him in that position? Way too critical and contradictory. But I agree, he had a great game.

Opulentus Tigris said:
So whilst you understand why he went for a couple of one handers due to the positioning of the defenders. But you didn't like it because it was low %. What is he supposed to do when as you say the defender has put him in that position? Way too critical and contradictory. But I agree, he had a great game.
I was being picky, he played a great game, no doubt about that. I don't mind a player going for the odd showpony move if he can do it, however next time I'd rather he focussed more in getting in a better position than just relying on party tricks.
Just playing devil's advocate a bit, however I just want to see him improve more.

Fair call Zero, and I think getting in the right position in the first place is spot on. Let's be honest though, he ain't a KPP yet holds his own exceptionally well against the bigger bodies. Richmond will start winning games when we have a key target in the forward fifty. Hopefully Griffiths lives up to the hype.
I reckon if JR played for any other team, he'd be given way more kudos.

Opulentus Tigris said:
Fair call Zero, and I think getting in the right position in the first place is spot on. Let's be honest though, he ain't a KPP yet holds his own exceptionally well against the bigger bodies. Richmond will start winning games when we have a key target in the forward fifty. Hopefully Griffiths lives up to the hype.
I reckon if JR played for any other team, he'd be given way more kudos.

Hmm. Game high 6 contested marks and 6 goals... is he becoming more of a KPP than we give him credit for?

This 3rd tall talk is just nonsense, he has every chance of being a kpp player. Hell if Leo Barry can play full back at 184cm and Fevola & Bradshaw are only 191cm then I think Jack can play as a key forward. He's on track for a 50-60 goal season, is 195-195cm tall and for the first time in his career is kicking multiple goals in almost every game for the year.

With the way forward lines rotate these days, having Riewoldt, Griffiths & Astbury as key talls will be a great lineup moving into the future. Riewoldt is always going to be the most mature of them all though, Astbury would be a good 3-4 years away, Griffiths probably 3 also. By that stage Riewoldt will be 24 years old and be moving into his prime years. He will be the one protecting the younger kids and the #1 defender so Griffiths & Astbury can shine.

Would not blame the kid for wanting out to the GC with big $$$ if they come sniffing. He's playing a lone hand up forward and must be getting so frustrated with the *smile* delivery. We must do everything humanely possible to keep him. Superstar in the making, I'd give him any amount of money he wants to stay. If he leaves we're ******!!!!!

I'll have to come on here an roast Riewoldt's kicking more often :hihi

Ever since I did earlier in the season, he has been kicking them from everywhere.

Good to see him do it against a side with some decent tall options down back.

Thought Jaaack! might have been off his game early. Missed the easy set shot from the before bounce free and stuffed up a couple of short passes as well in the first qtr.
Played an amazing game last night, the amount of times he took himself down to our wing and backline to try and help out just shows he's growing a serious tank for a bigger player, just gotta love his marking ability and his contested bustling, clever tap ons at ground level.
If everything else turns to total crap this year I'll just keep going and enjoying how seriously well this kid plays footy.

Great game Jack. What I've noticed about his game this year is that even if he gets off to a bad start, he doesn't drop his head, works hard, and eventually plays a good game. His defensive pressure has been fantastic this year. :clap

hopper said:
Geez, he played well tonight. You know a young bloke's going ok when he's stitching up D.Fletcher in the 1-on-1's. Well done Jack. Stay persistent and your time will come in a successful team.

It shows his talent IMO.

Fletcher will go down as an all time great and for Jack to outpoint him on numerous occasions highlights his feel for the game. A natural footballer.

As an aside, you have to laugh at all those who have been questioning his ability to play as a key forward.

I,ll give credit where credit,s due.He,s knuckled down since that freo game which is good to see.However IMO he,s still a HFF.

BladeTiger said:
Great game. Starting to lay claims for the next captaincy.

Yes very good point and would be in contention if he maintains the overall consistency required. He would be a great choice, I just hope the RFC don't give the captaincy to someone just to keep them at the club.

Jack has shown more leadership than Deledio, Cotchin & Newman, however leads the race being very temperamental.