Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract.

How many years has it been since Richmond hasn't picked up another clubs reject in the drafting/trading period? Hislop/Thomson last year and many before, Farmer this year although I'll let that one slide cause it was just to replace Schulz. Pick up Thorpe and we keep our magnificent record alive. ::)

anyone think that maybe hawks aren't concerned about sacking a player that has a year left of contract as they might 'know' that Hardwick is a fan and at worst, the tigers will pick him and pick up the tab for next years contract, allowing hawks another pick in either draft?

could in fact be a no lose situation for hawks

One-eyed Tiger said:
Heresay.........

I guess if Thorp ends up at Richmond and Pattison at Hawthorn, it will just be a coincidence?
My source works at the club and knows Thorp personally. Enough said.

And yes, if they end up at each others club it will be coincidence, because they are about to enter into a draft where any number of clubs could pick them up before either club gets a chance.

theScabman said:

And yes, if they end up at each others club it will be coincidence, because they are about to enter into a draft where any number of clubs could pick them up before either club gets a chance.
Not if Thorpe only nominates for the PSD.

sportshow said:
anyone think that maybe hawks aren't concerned about sacking a player that has a year left of contract as they might 'know' that Hardwick is a fan and at worst, the tigers will pick him and pick up the tab for next years contract, allowing hawks another pick in either draft?

could in fact be a no lose situation for hawks

Generally, the way these arrangements work is that the club and player agree to tear up their contract by meeting each other halfway. The club agrees to pay out the remaining part of the contract over and above any new arrangements the player may come to with his new club.

Just for the sake of the argument, Thorp might have a contract for $150K for next year. Both he and Hawthorn may already know that Richmond will make him an offer for next year on a basic contract, which might be, say, $80K. Any other club can jump in and do the same of course, but that doesn't matter. Hawthorn are only liable for the full contract if no-one wants him.

Hawthorn settle with Thorp for $70K now, under last year's salary cap because it is a payout before 31 October, and Richmond or whoever pay him the other $80K when they sign him up. If no-one picks him up, his manager will send an invoice for the difference to Hawthorn.

If he has already put an arrangement in place with Richmond, it will definitely be a PSD job, otherwise he will have to put a price on his head and Hawthorn pay even less. The best scenario for the Hawks is if someone like Carlton jumps in and tries to take him in the National Draft.

theScabman said:

The article has a direct quote from Pelchen, unless you're saying he is lying...........

Barnzy said:
Yet King and McMahon remain...
King & McMahon are probably on a combined $450-500k, Thorp could have been on minimum wage. Makes a big difference when paying them out.

As for Thorp coming to Richmond, although he has had injury concerns, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. The big difference between him and someone like Smith is unlike Smith, Thorps injuries don't seem to be career threatening.

theScabman said:

First off; thats true what u said about dont believe everything u hear in the papers like the writer saying "hawks send thorpe packing" BUT i do believe more a "direct quote" like, “Mitch requested to be considered for a trade, but unfortunately this was not able to be achieved during trade week." from Chris Pelchin - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86446/default.aspx

And another thing dont discount TB's info cause he aint a hawks supporter, thats the way it sounds because you being a hawks fan your intimating cause your source works at the club and knows Thorp personally. Its fact! but tigerbob on the other hand also knows some people their and your saying who feeds you your information but hey what would they know working for the hawks :headscratch and passing on info to TB...

Tigerbob said:
Anyway, I know some Hawks supporters are upset, I know a couple of lads who work at your club and they are mightily disappointed with the way it has turned out. They definitely believe he will develop into a player, but they knew he simply didn't want to be at Hawthorn anymore.

theScabman said:

give me a break, if they end up at each others clubs it will be a coincidence, did u not read TB's post about the hawks and tiger officials spending the whole day trying to broker a deal between Thorpe and Patto, if you seriously think if these guys end up at opposite clubs as a coincidence ur being delusional...

Tigerbob said:
Also ask your Hawk officials who they spent locked in a room at Etihad stadium with for most of the day Friday - deadline day - trying to broker a deal with. I had a friend who is in the media right there who passed on that gossip. I told a few people on here at time once I was told.

Spanish Prisoner said:
Drafting a reject is like running on a misfield. Silly silly move. Let this rubbish go through to the keeper, or another club.

There is a good reason for that. Premiership list mgrs/coaches have achieved what others set out to achieve. They have DONE what others dream of doing. They have evidence of their own success and not just cheap talk....
So what you're saying is any player wanting to got to another club or is up for trade is a reject? By extension Judd was a reject and thus should have "gone through to the keeper". Silly silly comment. Don't post for the sake of posting.

With regard to your second paragraph.....Der...you think?

Opulentus Tigris said:
So what you're saying is any player wanting to got to another club or is up for trade is a reject? By extension Judd was a reject and thus should have "gone through to the keeper". Silly silly comment. Don't post for the sake of posting.

If you can't see the difference between Thorp's situation and Judd's situation then, I'm afraid, you are beyond help or instruction.

:afro

More to this than we all know....Smell's a bit fishy for my liking! ???

For those still in denial here's a couple of posts by Hawthorn supporters on BF who would know him better than all of you would.

(a) He's no good. Somehow received some internet hype from 14 year old Hawk fans who have never seen him stink it up at Box Hill. He's our JON.

(b) If he does get another go, i'd be staggered if it is at Richmond. Hardwick would know enough to stay well away.

my guess would be that Hardwick won't go anywhere near him seeing he was an assistant and would know Thorp very well....just read the posts on the Hawthorn board and you'll get an idea why we delisted him with 1 year to run in his contract.

craig said:
Interesting to hear Mitch Thorp delisted by Hawx with a year to run on contract.

No stuffing around at Hawthorn, same cant be said of the RFC of recent.
They will have to pay him out

the claw said:
it does nothing for us if he cant play. there are going to be safer bets in the psd.

pelchen certainly is showing us how to do it. has assessed him thinks he wont make for what ever reasons and has delisted him after 3 yrs even though he is a top 10 pick.
at richmond we hang onto em for twice as long and then still um and ah about letting them go.

unlike those at our club if pelchen says hes no good i reckon that would be good enough. at least pelchen gors thru a process in rating them.

gee santa we are at loggerheads on this one,

you say pelchen goes thru a process and rates kids, yes he rated him very highly as did others and the kid has been injured for a long time, i dont think there is any suggestion the kid doesnt have talent

the kidd also had guys like buddy, roughie, dowler and others ahead of him - not so at RFC

you say that if he was any good why wouldnt he have been traded, well he nearly was to us but the hawks wanted to include pick 19 with the deal so it was their greed that cost them the trade and probably the player for nothing in the PSD - if that happens then i think we have done well - if DH thinks the kid can make it

20 YO KPP dont fall off trees often, yes and they dont fall off trees without a reason either - im aware of that, i just think that this is a needs basis pick and we need this type more than HBF or back pockets and so we should take the risk if we think he is good enough - IMO

i said on another thread we rae desperate for tall KPP, hawks are not - IMO that means the risk is more worth to us than them

tigerdave said:
More to this than we all know....Smell's a bit fishy for my liking!

Agree Dave. Despite the various claimed sauces and quotes the bottom line is a player isn't often delisted with a year to go on their contract. Something doesn't ring true here.

We have had a great record when recruiting Hawthorn Players; Barry Rowlings, Alan Martello, Kim Kershaw,Ian Scrimshaw and Peter Welsh to name a few