Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract.

craig said:
Differing scenarios have been rumored re Thorp at the Hawx.

One - brought his own mirror and was pretty fond of himself.

Two - Bad attitude

Three- Injury prone and ravaged - soft body.

Four - Not up to it poor ethic.

Maybe combination of all.

Jeez, that sounds like half our list in 2009. Do we really need another qith the wrong attitude, lazy etc.

I hope Beavis does his homework and if there is any truth at all to the rumours Craigy babes posted then let's ignore him at all costs.

Disco08 said:
Yeah, I think I read that somewhere too mate. He also played on the same Tassie VFL and junior teams as Hislop and Reiwoldt FWIW.

Very close mates with the two of these boys.

Gee he was such a talented junior.

Looking back, it is amazing Riewoldt turned out the better player. Shows sometimes it is what is between the ears more so than outward football talent. Riewoldt's interviews and his nature made our recruiters fall in love with him.

In saying all that, if you told me before that draft we would have both Thorp and Riewoldt patrolling our forward line, I would have said we were on our way....

As I said on another thread, if Hardwick thinks he can help him become a player I have full confidence in that decision. He after all would be in the best place to judge that.

They also did have a close working relationship I hear.

Tigerbob said:
As I said on another thread, if Hardwick thinks he can help him become a player I have full confidence in that decision. He after all would be in the best place to judge that.

True but the alarm bells are ringing loud and clear IMO if Clarkson flat out delisted him with a year to run on his contract, especially in the wake of Williams departure to Essendon.

Tigerbob said:

They also did have a close working relationship I hear.

Worth a crack I reckon, young and talented KPP prospects are rare and we don't have enough. Hopefully the delisting will be a wake up

Have to trust DH on this one I guess.

If there were issues holding Thorp back at HFC, you'd think he'd have a pretty fair idea on what they were and if we can, or think we can sort them out.

Worth a gamble?

Maybe.

Re: Thorpe delisted

DirtyDogTiger said:
As I recall Thorpe with Gumblton and Hansen, Ryder etc...was on of those early picked highly rated talls in the 05 Superdraft
06 draft.

Mitch Thorp dumped by Hawthorn Football Club
Jon Ralph October 28, 2009 6:50PM

MUCH-HYPED Hawthorn tall Mitch Thorp has been dumped by the club with another year to run on his contract.

Thorp was taken ahead of Joel Selwood with pick six in the 2006 national draft, but has been told by Hawthorn he is no longer required.

The 20-year-old Tasmanian was once seen to be the great white hope for Hawthorn, but has battled poor form and severe injury.

This year he had surgery on a broken sesamoid bone in his left foot, which meant he could add only one senior game for a career tally of two matches.

Rival clubs have always held the 194cm tall in high regard, with speculation as recently as this trade period about whether he might move on.

Hawthorn had spoken as recently as mid-year about their determination to get him fit and firing but the club's patience has run out.

In August manager Liam Pickering was quoted as saying: "Mitch has 12 months to go on his contract. As far as I'm concerned he's a Hawthorn player. We're just looking to get through the rest of the season.''

But after failing to do a deal on Thorp, the club recently decided it would cut him loose.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mitch-thorp-dumped-by-hawthorn-football-club/story-e6frf9ix-1225792211198

Credit to Phantom, I recollect he was one of the few who had some major reservations about Thorp making the step up to AFL.

If we are interested, then our recent fascinations will all continue with this one.

We like:

1. Tasmanians. Riewoldt, Hislop, Richo, Rawlings and Newett
2. Other clubs' discarded early draft picks or father-sons. McMahon, Hislop, Thomson, Morton, Polak, Brown and Cousins.
3. Anybody named Mitch.

I like it . Worth a punt through the PSD. In the right age group for us and adds another tall forward to our structure. Good to hear also we stuck to our guns and did not give in to the Hawks.

TOT70 said:
If we are interested, then our recent fascinations will all continue with this one.

We like:

1. Tasmanians. Riewoldt, Hislop, Richo, Rawlings and Newett
2. Other clubs' discarded early draft picks or father-sons. McMahon, Hislop, Thomson, Morton, Polak, Brown and Cousins.
3. Anybody named Mitch.

Haha, forgot about the Mitch factor. It's a lock.

roachapproach said:
I like it . Worth a punt through the PSD. In the right age group for us and adds another tall forward to our structure. Good to hear also we stuck to our guns and did not give in to the Hawks.
it does nothing for us if he cant play. there are going to be safer bets in the psd.

pelchen certainly is showing us how to do it. has assessed him thinks he wont make for what ever reasons and has delisted him after 3 yrs even though he is a top 10 pick.
at richmond we hang onto em for twice as long and then still um and ah about letting them go.

unlike those at our club if pelchen says hes no good i reckon that would be good enough. at least pelchen gors thru a process in rating them.

the claw said:
it does nothing for us if he cant play. there are going to be safer bets in the psd.

pelchen certainly is showing us how to do it. has assessed him thinks he wont make for what ever reasons and has delisted him after 3 yrs even though he is a top 10 pick.
at richmond we hang onto em for twice as long and then still um and ah about letting them go.

unlike those at our club if pelchen says hes no good i reckon that would be good enough. at least pelchen gors thru a process in rating them.
Did you read Bob's post on the 1st page of this thread?

I think we'll be using 2 PSD picks.

Assuming we have picked up - at absolutely bare minimum - one of Panos, Talia, Griffiths or (preferably) Temel, Thorp is definitely worth the speculative use of our pick 67

There has to be a line about 3 Mitch's, surely

Tigers of Old said:
True but the alarm bells are ringing loud and clear IMO if Clarkson flat out delisted him with a year to run on his contract, especially in the wake of Williams departure to Essendon.

Spot on. Something is not right here and I suspect his body is shot. If its only attitude then hopefully that can be turned around.

It will be interesting to see if he ends up at RFC. Hardwick would know better than anyone what the issues are.

who would you take in the PSD clawsy?

i just think that this kid is worth the risk. I would agree that there would be safer bets but if this one turns good then it could be gold.

the claw said:

Why did he take him in the first place then?

he is only 20 yrs old, has worked along side hardwick, why not pick him up.
for me its smith from north or thorpe. we have the time for rehabilitation.