Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract.

WesternTiger said:
Why did he take him in the first place then?
because we all make mistakes recognising the mistake admitting it and acting quickly is the hard part.

no mug either he shopped him around in the hope of minimiseing the damage.

zippadeee said:
he is only 20 yrs old, has worked along side hardwick, why not pick him up.
for me its smith from north or thorpe. we have the time for rehabilitation.

That's absolutely right, a lot of if's and maybe's here, but one thing is certain we are in for the very long haul. Time is one thing that we do have and can give him. Plus our lack of KPFs is desperate, and if we don't take Butcher, where do we find an A-Grade key forward with these compromised drafts ahead? I have no objections if DH with his inside knowledge decides to take the risk.

Tygrys said:
That's absolutely right, a lot of if's and maybe's here, but one thing is certain we are in for the very long haul. Time is one thing that we do have and can give him. Plus our lack of KPFs is desperate, and if we don't take Butcher, where do we find an A-Grade key forward with these compromised drafts ahead? I have no objections if DH with his inside knowledge decides to take the risk.
na only things to be asked now is does he really have the right skill set and ditto with attitude.

from what ive gathered he lacks in both areas. though i will say hes had his fair share of injury.

at the end of the day if we have a choice between a proven afl player and one who might be you play the percentages as you do with every pick.

it doesnt matter what pick it is they are all valuable we need to go thru the right process with every pick.

Is this the player CC was alluding to in another thread a few weeks back?? CC care to answer ;D

Tigerbob said:
I expect Mitch to be at Tigerland.

It was said to me he requested to be traded and he requested Richmond with Damian.

Apparently we were in talks with the Hawks all of the last day to swap Pattison for Thorp, but the Hawks wanted a swap of Draft Picks, particularly 19 for 39 to complete the deal and we said no. It was a directive that we were going into trade week and not losing any picks.

We would have done the straight swap. Hawks wanted extra.

As it stands, it looks like we'll get Thorp for nothing in the PSD, and the Hawks may yield the same with Pattison in the National Draft if he is delisted.

My thoughts, since then, Thorp has since been a bad egg for the Hawks, demanding to get out and they have come to a decision to delist him and you may find it is a mutual breaking of the contract as the Hawks need some salary space. Thorp's management may be confident a deal will be done with Richmond, hence the break up.

I suppose we will find out soon enough. ;D
Bob I think after your post that Thorpe is a dead set certainty to picked up by the Tigers in the PSD.

Tygrys said:

Does anyone know the reason he was delisted?, Financial? Too many forwards?, chasing someone in the pre-season?, bad attitude?, dud?

but on the other hand people rather have Luke Ball 26yrs, worth over 1 million dollars, groin injuries for 4-5yrs, can only play in short stints, plays good game in the grand final and all of sudden he is hot property, pity everyone forgot the Essendon or Footcray games

Hardwick will know..........
Tigerbob said:
Very close mates with the two of these boys.

Gee he was such a talented junior.

Looking back, it is amazing Riewoldt turned out the better player. Shows sometimes it is what is between the ears more so than outward football talent. Riewoldt's interviews and his nature made our recruiters fall in love with him.

In saying all that, if you told me before that draft we would have both Thorp and Riewoldt patrolling our forward line, I would have said we were on our way....

As I said on another thread, if Hardwick thinks he can help him become a player I have full confidence in that decision. He after all would be in the best place to judge that.

They also did have a close working relationship I hear.

Smoking Aces said:
Bob I think after your post that Thorpe is a dead set certainty to picked up by the Tigers in the PSD.

If that's the case I hope he turns out better than that other reject from the same draft.

Young or not I'm not sure why we continue to pick up the waste of other clubs.
Harwick has been in a position closer than most to make a qualified decision but that doesn't mean he won't make mistakes either.

Danog said:
Did you read Bob's post on the 1st page of this thread?

I think we'll be using 2 PSD picks.
no i didnt but if we use two picks i really hope the two we pick can play.

if we go after thorpe he must go thru a rigorous rating system. marking pace footskills agility attitude performance smarts it can go on and on.
these are the questions that have to be asked and answered. to me this falls to our recruiters and cameron.

hardwick can say i like mitch thorpe i think he can make it.
its then up to those who are paid to look at players to say yeah he may make it or na to many deficiencies doesnt tick enough boxes. it really should not be down to hardwick. it should be look guys while i was at hawthorn i really like thorpe lots of injury etc its then up to our so called experts to put him thru OUR PROCESSES and say either yep he ticks most boxes or na hes to deficient.
the fact hardwick has bought thorpes name to the table means you have a long hard look at him, but if he does not meet our criteria he does not get taken.

Re: Thorpe delisted

tigerjoe12 said:
Definitely was. JR still proving to be one of if not the best performed KPF from that so called Superdraft
I think that Kurt Tippett has JR covered comfortably at the moment.

If I were a 20 year key forward struggling to make it I would ask to leave Hawthorn too, it is impossible to see him getting many games if Buddy and Roughead are fit.

I like the idea of him coming to us in the PSD, but it relies on Melbourne not drafting him first. Would a high price tag scare them off? Would he be worth a high price tag? And I much prefer him in the PSD than national draft, I would rather we pick up U-18s solidly with our top 50 picks.

Tigerbob said:

It was said to me he requested to be traded and he requested Richmond with Damian.

Apparently we were in talks with the Hawks all of the last day to swap Pattison for Thorp, but the Hawks wanted a swap of Draft Picks, particularly 19 for 39 to complete the deal and we said no. It was a directive that we were going into trade week and not losing any picks.

As it stands, it looks like we'll get Thorp for nothing in the PSD, and the Hawks may yield the same with Pattison in the National Draft if he is delisted.

My thoughts, since then, Thorp has since been a bad egg for the Hawks, demanding to get out and they have come to a decision to delist him and you may find it is a mutual breaking of the contract as the Hawks need some salary space. Thorp's management may be confident a deal will be done with Richmond, hence the break up.

Good info there Bob, not much was said about Thorpe during trade week.

If he is able to get over his issues with DH's help then surely he is ahead of Ball, Macdonald etc in the PSD.

Boy, what on earth is going on?

Benny Gale improves our draw, DH gets some quality assistants with premiership expertise, we get rid of Schulz, and now a player who went at no 6 in the 2006 National Draft wants to come to Richmond?

What on earth is going on?

Ty Esler said:
I like the idea of him coming to us in the PSD, but it relies on Melbourne not drafting him first. Would a high price tag scare them off?

Wouldn;t think so, they too have to reach the 92.5% salary minimum yet.........

Ty Esler said:
I like the idea of him coming to us in the PSD, but it relies on Melbourne not drafting him first. Would a high price tag scare them off? Would he be worth a high price tag? And I much prefer him in the PSD than national draft, I would rather we pick up U-18s solidly with our top 50 picks.

Luke Ball could solve this problem

Re: Thorpe delisted

TheUmpire said:
I think that Kurt Tippett has JR covered comfortably at the moment.

You sure about that, "based on about the same age" jack has him covered, Tippett 21 yrs old in 2008 kicked 17 goals and 17 behinds and had 32 tackles in 19 games....And JR playing as a 20 yrs old in 09" (BTW turns 21 this sat) kicked 32 goals and 27 behinds and had 48 tackles in 20 games....
Click on the below link for comparing them...
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=2&pid1=1750&tid2=15&pid2=1731&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

Tippett is almost 2 yrs older, on his performance this year must say he took that next step and looks a damn good player...

Tigerbob said:

Not sure who feeds you those stories, but Thorp never demanded to get out. He wanted to stay and was shocked and upset at being delisted.
He'd even been at training last week( before everyone else was due to come back) and was looking very fit.
We wouldn't delist him for salary cap space. Neither his salary or cap space would be an issue.
Thorp was shopped around at trade week, but he wanted to stay at Hawthorn if he could.

If Thorp couldnt get games in the Hawthorn side this year what makes people think Hardwick would want him? Hawks wouldnt let him go for no reason.

I'd rather draft our own and stop looking for saviours from other clubs.

Herr_Tiger said:
Assuming we have picked up - at absolutely bare minimum - one of Panos, Talia, Griffiths or (preferably) Temel, Thorp is definitely worth the speculative use of our pick 67

There has to be a line about 3 Mitch's, surely

He won't last to pick 67 if he is in the National Draft, we would have to use a much earlier pick (probably 35)

Best way is to get him through the PSD at No.2 the same way the Swans have secured Bradshaw.

Sign him up CC!

Mr Magic said:
He won't last to pick 67 if he is in the National Draft, we would have to use a much earlier pick (probably 35)

Best way is to get him through the PSD at No.2 the same way the Swans have secured Bradshaw.

Sign him up CC!

I wouldnt use pic 35 if he gets picked up before our pic 67 or 72 so be it and i also wouldnt use pic 2 in the PSD (rather use it on a more experienced/accomplished player like McDonald), if we have 2 pics in the PSD offer him a 2 yr term and if he makes it to our 2nd round pic in the PSD great if not and some other club grabs him, thems the brakes...