Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract.

Tango said:
the kidd also had guys like buddy, roughie, dowler and others ahead of him - not so at RFC

I wouldn't put too much stock in this angle.

He would've been playing for the top side regardless of Franklin & Roughead had he displayed any viable sort of form during his regular stints at Box Hill.

Barnzy said:
For those still in denial here's a couple of posts by Hawthorn supporters on BF who would know him better than all of you would.

He's our JON? Geez that's some compliment.

CyberKev said:
I wouldn't put too much stock in this angle.

He would've been playing for the top side regardless of Franklin & Roughead had he displayed any viable sort of form during his regular stints at Box Hill.

So you think he's a dud Kev?

Barnzy said:
.... Hawthorn supporters on BF who would know him better than all of you would.

Wouldn't take too much to know Thorp better than I do Barnzy but am interested in why you make that assumption generally. Is posting on BF the pinnacle of player knowledge? :hihi

Tango said:
the kidd also had guys like buddy, roughie, dowler and others ahead of him - not so at RFC

Dowler and others??

Dowler is bad enough, if there are others then Thorp must be an out and out dud.

tigerdave said:
More to this than we all know....Smell's a bit fishy for my liking! ???

If he was sent packing just because of injuries, then Scott Gumbleton would also be looking for a new home.

I wish McMuffin had attitude problems! :hihi

rosy23 said:
Wouldn't take too much to know Thorp better than I do Barnzy but am interested in why you make that assumption generally. Is posting on BF the pinnacle of player knowledge? :hihi

Because they're Hawthorn supporters who have followed him through his career and have more knowledge on him than any of us? I doubt many on PRE would ever go down to Hawthorn training or go to watch Box Hill.

tigerdave said:
More to this than we all know....Smell's a bit fishy for my liking! ???

I agree.

Was there any truth to the rumour that Hawthorn traded someone to North without full disclosure of their mental health issues? Perhaps Hay or Thompson?

Hairydolfin said:
We have had a great record when recruiting Hawthorn Players; Barry Rowlings, Alan Martello, Kim Kershaw,Ian Scrimshaw and Peter Welsh to name a few

Terry Wallace? :-[

:afro

Mr Pumblechook said:
I agree.

Was there any truth to the rumour that Hawthorn traded someone to North without full disclosure of their mental health issues? Perhaps Hay or Thompson?
Thompson was it not?

Tigers of Old said:
So you think he's a dud Kev?

I think the hype that surrounds him, unfortunately, far outweighs any form he has shown during his time with Hawthorn.

Going purely on this form I would have to classify him a dud, but whether that means he is entirely beyond redemption is another matter.

Injuries have hurt his career development, for sure, but he was largely good to go across 2008, but couldn't fire a shot at Box Hill level. It wasn't a case of him being kept out of the Hawk forward line by Franklin & Roughead, given there would have been a spot for him, particularly allowing for the non-conventional way in which those two players fill the KPP roles. But he struggled up forward at Box Hill to the extent that they tried to recreate him as a key defender (helped by our need for extra options in this area), but he struggled in that role too.

It didn't help that the word was strong (from generally reliable sources) that Thorp was baulking at the fitness development regimes being set for him by the Hawk fitness staff. The consistent picture painted of Thorp is of a young player expecting to be playing regular top team football, but not being willing to put in the work to make it happen.

I don't blame the club for picking him up, as he appeared to tick all the boxes back in 2006, and while I'm disappointed to see him go, I'll trust the club view that they believe they are incapable of getting him to the level required to play regular senior football.

Once you get to that realisation as a club, whatever may happen with the player at another club down the track becomes largely irrelevant.

Some club will pick him up, guaranteed, and it'll be interesting to see how player and club respond to the challenge of getting his career back on track.

Barnzy said:
How many years has it been since Richmond hasn't picked up another clubs reject in the drafting/trading period? Hislop/Thomson last year and many before, Farmer this year although I'll let that one slide cause it was just to replace Schulz. Pick up Thorpe and we keep our magnificent record alive. ::)
Pity CC didnt live up to your expectations and take the deal offered by the Hawks.Patto & pick 19 for Thorpe & pick 39.Pretty useless is our CC hey :p

CyberKev said:
I think the hype that surrounds him, unfortunately, far outweighs any form he has shown during his time with Hawthorn.

Going purely on this form I would have to classify him a dud, but whether that means he is entirely beyond redemption is another matter.

Injuries have hurt his career development, for sure, but he was largely good to go across 2008, but couldn't fire a shot at Box Hill level. It wasn't a case of him being kept out of the Hawk forward line by Franklin & Roughead, given there would have been a spot for him, particularly allowing for the non-conventional way in which those two players fill the KPP roles. But he struggled up forward at Box Hill to the extent that they tried to recreate him as a key defender (helped by our need for extra options in this area), but he struggled in that role too.

It didn't help that the word was strong (from generally reliable sources) that Thorp was baulking at the fitness development regimes being set for him by the Hawk fitness staff. The consistent picture painted of Thorp is of a young player expecting to be playing regular top team football, but not being willing to put in the work to make it happen.

I don't blame the club for picking him up, as he appeared to tick all the boxes back in 2006, and while I'm disappointed to see him go, I'll trust the club view that they believe they are incapable of getting him to the level required to play regular senior football.

Once you get to that realisation as a club, whatever may happen with the player at another club down the track becomes largely irrelevant.

Some club will pick him up, guaranteed, and it'll be interesting to see how player and club respond to the challenge of getting his career back on track.

Just backs up my views that I don't want him anywhere near Richmond unless DH can see something in him then I'll have to show faith in him. Injury prone, when fit he still can't get a kick at Box Hill, rumoured to be an absolute tool and have big attitude problems. All the warning signs are there.

Mr Pumblechook said:
I agree.

Not this old chestnut.

Thompson had publicly disclosed his problems before the move.

Hay went public after his move and there's nothing to suggest that anyone at Hawthorn (outside of the club doctor) was aware of the extent of his issues and it wouldn't have mattered if they were, as they would have been legally forbidden from disclosing them to a third party without Hay's consent.

It also wouldn't have mattered for pudding if they had, as North were pushing hard to the hoop all along for him and Laidley was happy to go public with statements that all Hay's woes were due to him being at Hawthorn, and North would get the best out of him.

If North had willingly taken Thompson knowing of his depression (and seen him perform solidly), why would they have baulked at Hay?

Freo didn't need any disclosure on Hay's mental state to run a mile, and I can only presume they'd had a good look at some of his on-field efforts during the latter stages of 2005.

At any rate, if the intimation here is that Thorp has depression, then I'd suggest he's given more pressing reasons for not picking him up with his on-field efforts in recent years.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Pity CC didnt live up to your expectations and take the deal offered by the Hawks.Patto & pick 19 for Thorpe & pick 39.Pretty useless is our CC hey :p

Good to see he finally got something right.

The curse of the number 6 draft pick strikes again: (taken from the boys at BF) interesting list i must say....

2000 Dylan Smith (Kangaroos)
2001 Ashley Sampi (WCE)
2002 Steve Salopek (Port)
2003 Kepler Bradley (Ess)
2004 Tom Williams (Bull)
2005 Beau Dowler (Hawks)
2006 Mitch Thorp (Hawks)
2007 David Myers (Ess)
2008 Chris Yarran (Carl)

Steve Salopek is really the only guy who has proven himself from that list.

The Cotch said:
Thorp would 'absolutely love' to be at Richmond under Hardwick, Riewoldt and Hislop.

Is that because he doesn't have to work as hard to get a game?
Thorpe has a shedload to prove why he should be picked up by us if the rumour mill is anything to go by.