Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract.

The Cotch said:
Thorp would 'absolutely love' to be at Richmond under Hardwick, Riewoldt and Hislop. He and his manager are fuming at the HFC.
I beleive Liam Pickering is his manager. His not one to shy away from commenting on his players. I wonder how long before hear from him.

I take it that Richmond (assuming we want him which by all reports we do) is in the box seat to draft him.

If Mitch Thorpe does become a Richmond player, then I will bet that any threads dedicated to him will out do the Krakouer and Tambling threads by the length of the Flemington straight. ;D

The Cotch said:
Thorp would 'absolutely love' to be at Richmond under Hardwick, Riewoldt and Hislop. He and his manager are fuming at the HFC.

LOL.

Not a skerrick of hard evidence to support such a claim, but such is the way the Chinese whispers multiply on the web.

At any rate, the bigger issue will be whether or not Hardwick would 'absolutely love' to have Thorp in the stable.

CyberKev said:
At any rate, if the intimation here is that Thorp has depression, then I'd suggest he's given more pressing reasons for not picking him up with his on-field efforts in recent years.

No intimation about Thorp's mental health. Rather trying to get a handle on dealing with Hawthorn.

Amidst the Burgoyne circus that was trade week, Peter Rohde said on SEN that they had been warned about dealing with Hawthorn. The inference not being that they like to drive a hard bargain, but that they can be somewhat underhanded in negotiations, moving the goal posts (cue the C. Brown and J. Kennett sideshow).

It's not the first time such accusations and rumours have circulated. I'm wondering why, and if there is any substance to them.

P.S. Thanks for your contributions to PRE CyberKev. Typically informed and balanced contributions.

AstuteTiger said:
The curse of the number 6 draft pick strikes again: (taken from the boys at BF) interesting list i must say....

2000 Dylan Smith (Kangaroos)
2001 Ashley Sampi (WCE)
2002 Steve Salopek (Port)
2003 Kepler Bradley (Ess)
2004 Tom Williams (Bull)
2005 Beau Dowler (Hawks)
2006 Mitch Thorp (Hawks)
2007 David Myers (Ess)
2008 Chris Yarran (Carl)

Steve Salopek is really the only guy who has proven himself from that list.

The curse of the 'X' factor perhaps. By pick 6, the absolute top end talent in the draft is gone (I mean the real standouts) and clubs fall into the trap of picking players with a lot more X than runs on the board than the guys who have slid through injury or other issues. Just a thought, mainly thinking of Selwood (injury) and Rich (talent but supposedly not much more left in him to develop) in recent times rather than that whole list.

Mr Pumblechook said:
Amidst the Burgoyne circus that was trade week, Peter Rohde said on SEN that they had been warned about dealing with Hawthorn. The inference not being that they like to drive a hard bargain, but that they can be somewhat underhanded in negotiations, moving the goal posts (cue the C. Brown and J. Kennett sideshow).

Hawthorn are an easy media mark for these accusations.

It started in 2007, when Brett Thornton desperately wanted out of Carlton, but Hawthorn refused to go higher than two second-rounders for him. Most football followers though this was reasonable (subsequent events suggest it was reasonable), but Carlton whined like a jet engine about Hawthorn wanting him, but not being happy to pay over the odds during the trade week. But it wasn't Carlton's fault for holding up negotiations by asking too much (for a player they desperately did not want to lose) it was Hawthorn's fault for holding up negotiations by not paying too much.

Then in 2008 Sydney followed up with hardball over Ryan O'Keefe (a player they desperately didn't want to lose) and Hawthorn couldn't satisfy their demands (despite presenting several packages) nor convince O'Keefe to give ground on his high wage demands, which were out-of-kilter with Hawthorn's player payments model. Other clubs nibbled around O'Keefe, but also didn't bite, and Roos would later admit that O'Keefe didn't want to go to Hawthorn anyway, as he was ultra-hot for the Blues. But Sydney whined and whined to, as is per usual, emphasise their preferred public persona as the competition's pristine angel club, and it was all Hawthorn's fault for being able to get a near-impossible deal over the line. Roos made a big song and dance about never dealing with Hawthorn again, and the media lapped it up, and yet - surprise surprise, the Swans were back and champing at the bit to deal with Hawthorn over Kennedy and McGlynn (got very fair deals out of it as well).

And Port... Changed their story about 23 times across the week, yabbered on about a supposed list that they couldn't produce and that nobody could confirm seeing and, despite the all crucial nature of said list, were still willing to continually demand players who, by their own reckoning, were on it as "untouchables" from the get go. And for all the moaning, the deal got done on the Thursday (very fair outcome for Port) and they'll be just as quick as any of the other clubs to get in line and deal with the hawks next year, if the Hawks have something they want.

I don't want any of this to be misinterpreted as me arguing that Hawthorn are the nice guy humanitarians of trade week, btw. I just don't buy the cheap view that Hawthorn are the pat malone bad guys just because they don't choose to run their drafting plays, move by move through the media to garner sympathy and ease the pressure on themselves to take responsibility for getting deals done.

Its not a week for the feint of heart and while some clubs choose to cry, others just get by.

Streak said:
The curse of the 'X' factor perhaps. By pick 6, the absolute top end talent in the draft is gone (I mean the real standouts) and clubs fall into the trap of picking players with a lot more X than runs on the board than the guys who have slid through injury or other issues. Just a thought, mainly thinking of Selwood (injury) and Rich (talent but supposedly not much more left in him to develop) in recent times rather than that whole list.

Exactly why keeping 3 was the right call over 6 and 14 from Sydney.

Quality over Quantity.

CyberKev said:
LOL.

Not a skerrick of hard evidence to support such a claim, but such is the way the Chinese whispers multiply on the web.

At any rate, the bigger issue will be whether or not Hardwick would 'absolutely love' to have Thorp in the stable.

It's there for each and their own to take it how they would like. I would say Hardwick would welcome Mitch since we traded hard for him on the final day.

The Cotch said:
It's there for each and their own to take it how they would like. I would say Hardwick would welcome Mitch since we traded hard for him on the final day.

That's a definite maybe.

Its pure speculation as to how hard Richmond tried to trade for him on the final day.

For such extensive and protracted negotiations, its surprising that they didn't generate any real discussion among Hawk-insider trade watchers at the time, and didn't featured prominently in any web discussions until this thread appeared.

CyberKev said:
That's a definite maybe.

Its pure speculation as to how hard Richmond tried to trade for him on the final day.

For such extensive and protracted negotiations, its surprising that they didn't generate any real discussion among Hawk-insider trade watchers at the time, and didn't featured prominently in any web discussions until this thread appeared.

It was all over sen on the live broadcast in trade week

CyberKev's review makes me think Thorp is a Cleve Hughes Mk II

nikolasmia said:
It was all over sen on the live broadcast in trade week

Well, if it was all over SEN then that's good enough for me.

SEN has never been known to indulge in speculation.

CyberKev said:
That's a definite maybe.

No, in our trade thread it was discussed Pattison was up for trade for possibly a pick and a player. That player was Thorp, Hawks wanted pick 19, we didn't want to part with that.

Baloo said:

But harsh on the Meat Cleaver there, methinks. Cleve has actually displayed some sort of AFL form, albeit minimal.

The Cotch said:
No, in our trade thread it was discussed Pattison was up for trade for possibly a pick and a player. That player was Thorp, Hawks wanted pick 19, we didn't want to part with that.

And where was the hard evidence of this? The trade threads on football fora (not just this one) are 5% fact (at the very best) and 95% fiction.

And even assuming this was the case, you have evidence of Hawthorn trying for Pattison, not of Richmond pushing hard to the hoop for Thorp, as implied in your previous posting.

Baloo said:

if only people knew the story with cleve hughes. the fact achieved what he did is astonishing

Ah SEN...

I still remember how gutted and betrayed I felt when it turned out that Ben Rutten wasn't coming to Hawthorn in 2008 like they breathlessly asserted.

I couldn't believe that such a quality media outlet would stoop to making *smile* up.

Obviously they were misled by mischeivous munchkins... Again.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
if only people knew the story with cleve hughes. the fact achieved what he did is astonishing

Could you elaborate a little bit more re: Cleve?

GO TIGES!!!